Possible ways to help many autistic people find love?

Page 15 of 15 [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2021, 2:49 pm

hurtloam wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Jakki wrote:
Likes the concept of a Sadie Hawkins event
[color=black]As a theoretical concept, it makes sense.

As a realistic practice, it leaves much to be desired.

• Women tend to lack the courage to ask for dates.  Maybe it is fear of embarrassment, fear of being turned down, or fear of being perceived as desperate. (Please forgive me if this is a sexist opinion -- it is based on my own observations and on what my wife and sisters have told me.)

Nope, not sexist. I have female friends who feel that way.

Societal norm is that the man will ask you out. If no one asks you out then you feel like an ugly reject.

If you believe you are an ugly reject it's humiliating and feels desperate to have to step outside of the norm to be the asker. If you get to that point, you feel like you look desperate to others.

Also, we saw older women not getting dates when we were teenagers. We heard them being ridiculed as weirdos, maybe we even thought they were weirdos. Not necessarily because of being single, but because of how they behaved. Bad social skills, irritable tempers, kinda ugly. This is a real person I knew. She is very unappealing personality and looks wise. Some people just are. Dear reader, You're a ridiculous softy if you believe everyone is beautiful.

That previous generation mostly found partners and these weird, ugly women never did.

Now that we are older and single, we forget that actually that's getting more normal in the millennial generation and were not weird and ugly, society has changed. People don't settle down like they used to.

But we still think we've turned into those weird ugly women we knew when we were 15 who are still single in their 50s.

Who are we to ask someone out?

Well regardless of the truth in this matter , it is not particularly a positive point of veiw. Am sure there are some older people whom find each other in their later years . But I maybe a idealist .

where ever you go ,there you are

dorkseid
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2021, 3:18 pm

nick007 wrote:
My parents were set up by a mutual friend when they were in college. The friend was much more closer to my mom than my dad thou. Her & my mom were good friends growing up & my dad met her in college. They are all NT & my parents were fairly normal people.

Being set up by a mutual friend is a completely valid way to meet potential partners, and its great when it works out. But please keep in mind, just like all the other ways people meet, the people for whom it works out are the minority. Most of the time when people are set up on a blind date, they are unlikely to actually end up together. Like always, both parties need to experience mutual attraction and meet the criteria the other is searching for. The odds are that this will not happen with any two randomly selected individuals most of the time. A few years ago, a co-worker set me up on a date with her friend. And while we did enjoy spending time together, neither of us was sexually or romantically attracted to the other.

hurtloam wrote:

Nope, not sexist. I have female friends who feel that way.

Societal norm is that the man will ask you out. If no one asks you out then you feel like an ugly reject.

If you believe you are an ugly reject it's humiliating and feels desperate to have to step outside of the norm to be the asker. If you get to that point, you feel like you look desperate to others.

Also, we saw older women not getting dates when we were teenagers. We heard them being ridiculed as weirdos, maybe we even thought they were weirdos. Not necessarily because of being single, but because of how they behaved. Bad social skills, irritable tempers, kinda ugly. This is a real person I knew. She is very unappealing personality and looks wise. Some people just are. Dear reader, You're a ridiculous softy if you believe everyone is beautiful.

That previous generation mostly found partners and these weird, ugly women never did.

Now that we are older and single, we forget that actually that's getting more normal in the millennial generation and were not weird and ugly, society has changed. People don't settle down like they used to.

But we still think we've turned into those weird ugly women we knew when we were 15 who are still single in their 50s.

Who are we to ask someone out?

I feel like that all the time. Every single time I've asked out a girl on a date in my entire life I was rejected. And how am I supposed to not feel like an ugly loser when I've experienced nothing but rejection? The difference is, that as a man, the social expectation is that the burden of doing the asking falls upon me.

But by this point I'm even far beyond that stage. I've been in the stage of my life where meeting women who are single is practically impossible for years. So I no longer even have opportunities to get rejected.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2021, 3:36 pm

Jakki wrote:
Well regardless of the truth in this matter , it is not particularly a positive point of veiw. Am sure there are some older people whom find each other in their later years . But I maybe a idealist .

My friend's aunt married her first (and only) husband at 65 , so you never know.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2021, 11:28 pm

hurtloam wrote:
Jakki wrote:

My friend's aunt married her first (and only) husband at 65 , so you never know.

:D :) :) :D :) :D

where ever you go ,there you are

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2021, 6:38 pm

nick007 wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
Back to the original topic. I've added the following to my page:

Quote:
Online games with locale-based teams

Some of the techies among us could develop new kinds of online games that would also facilitate people getting together in real life.

There already exist online games that encourage players to organize into teams. An example (which my partner likes to play) is Forge of Empires, a combination of strategy game, war game, and city-building game, in which players are encouraged (though not required) to join or create teams known as "guilds."

What would be very helpful, in my opinion, would be if someone could create some team-oriented online games in which players are encouraged to organize into teams based on their actual physical locales. That way, members of a team could have the option of getting together in-person if they so choose.

Getting to know people in the context of an online game and then meeting in person would probably be a much easier and less awkward way for many of us to find both platonic friends and potential romantic partners than either dating apps or just meeting people at in-person social gatherings.

The games, as I envision them, would be marketed to online gamers in general, not just autistic people. But they would be designed by teams of autistic programmers, with the social needs and difficulties of autistic people in mind.

Ideally the games would be of genres that appeal to roughly equal numbers of men and women.
I'm personally not a fan of online gaming, especially playing with strangers. Guilds & teams tend to have a list of requirements to stay in them. You have to participate in certain events & challenges & have to perform well in them,

If you happen to really enjoy the game, these requirements are an advantage. They help build a sense of camaraderie, which is one of the foundations (though not the only foundation) of friendship.

Of course, if you don't actually enjoy the game, then it's all pretty pointless.

nick007 wrote:
& have to donate so much money &/or resources to the group. Plenty online games encourage players to spend real money on the game in order for anyone to have a somewhat realistic chance of keeping up with everyone else.

Luckily some games, such as Forge of Empires, are designed so that if you're a really good strategic thinker, you can stay competitive without spending real money. My boyfriend is a longtime FoE player who has not spent any money on it, but instead relies on strategic thinking and sometimes detailed mathematical analysis. Other players spend money so they don't have to think so hard.

nick007 wrote:
Those games also tend to update very frequently & each update is more buggy than the last & requires more powerful hardware every time & I can not afford to buy a new tablet every few months in order to keep playing a game.

We need game manufacturers who can commit to making web-based games with multiple user interfaces -- a super-fancy whiz-bang interface for those users who actually want that sort of thing, but also a less resource-hungry, less bandwidth-hungry, and more backwards-compatible version for those users who need that. For anyone here with the necessary know-how to market such a game, opportunity knocks....

nick007 wrote:
I know it's fairly common for some couples these days to find each other by playing online games so the online game idea may have a bit of potential to help some Aspies meet people but it might not work for Aspies like me.

None of my ideas are intended to work for everyone. The game idea wouldn't work for me, for example, because I'm not a gamer. However, in a bigger and better-organized autistic community, we would have a much wider range of options. The game idea is just one of them.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2021, 7:07 pm

Fnord wrote:
Jakki wrote:
Likes the concept of a Sadie Hawkins event
As a theoretical concept, it makes sense.

As a realistic practice, it leaves much to be desired.

• Women tend to lack the courage to ask for dates.  Maybe it is fear of embarrassment, fear of being turned down, or fear of being perceived as desperate. (Please forgive me if this is a sexist opinion -- it is based on my own observations and on what my wife and sisters have told me.)

A Sadie Hawkins club would attract specifically, and only, those women who dislike the expectation that they not do the asking. Yes this is only a minority of women, perhaps a very small minority, but they do exist. Hopefully there would be enough such women in any given large city to make the club feasible.

Fnord wrote:
• People in general tend to ask for dates from others who are more attractive.  Thus, a normally attractive person is likely to ask a great-looking person for a date, but ignore someone else who is also normally attractive, while that great-looking person is likely to be holding out for an invitation from a fantastic-looking person.

This is a problem with today's dating scene in general. To counteract this, a Sadie Hawkins club -- like any other kind of singles club -- would need to hold events of kinds that help people get to know each other on a deeper level, in the hope that at least some of the members will look beyond superficialities.

Fnord wrote:
• In some cultures, the person who does the asking pays for the date.  In other cultures, the man always pays, even if the woman asks.  When two people from different cultures start dating, it may not be long before they break up.

My guess is that a Sadie Hawkins club should probably encourage people to split the bill -- unless there is a very high male-to-female ratio among attendees, in which case the men would probably be asked to pay at least most of the cost, in an attempt to even things out and encourage more women to attend.

Fnord wrote:
Sometimes, I wonder if the Western World lost something when it left the Eastern World's concept of a match-maker behind.

Dating in the Western world hasn't always been as superficiality-oriented and status-conscious as it apparently is now. Part of the problem is rising economic inequality. Another part of the problem is today's dating apps. Another part of the problem -- and indeed one of the main reasons why so many people today rely on dating apps -- is the loss of a sense of community.

Small, marginalized groups of people can go along way toward fixing that last problem by building well-organized subcultures.

As for fixing economic inequality, that's a topic to be discussed in PPR, not here.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2021, 7:10 pm

Fnord wrote:
Jakki wrote:
That Eastern idea feels a bit outdated, particularly if a persons got no living family left and few friends.
Nu?  I am not talking about "Shidduch," bubbeleh ... I am talking about a formal matchmaking service -- not a dating service, but a service through which people intentionally match people with other people.

There are background checks, there are interviews, there is counselling, there is coaching ... all for a fee, of course.

Think of it like marriage counselling, but between two who have never met before -- a more formal process than "The Bachelor/Bachelorette" or "The Dating Game" TV shows, and with much less drama.

This idea may have possibilities, at least for some people.

Last edited by Mona Pereth on 04 Apr 2021, 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2021, 7:14 pm

Fnord wrote:
Jakki wrote:
Had forgotten such a thing exists, is it more of a Eastern type thing?
An offshoot of European traditions, melded with Western psychology practices ... they gained some popularity in the 50s and 60s, but do not seem to be around much any more.

Maybe it is time to revive the practice?  After the covid crisis is over, of course.

Treat each individual the same way as a job applicant, including what type of person they are looking for, see if a mutual match can be found, and then make a discrete and private introduction.

Might work for some people. Is it okay if I quote your suggestion on my website?

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2021, 7:49 pm

Rexi wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
Yet I think many of us would probably feel more comfortable and less awkward getting to know people online first, before meeting in-person. My idea of an online game that encourages people to organize into teams based on physical locale would facilitate that -- especially if someone were also to invent a table-top role-playing game that was somehow related to the online game.

Gaming and socializing is perfect but it has to be maybe multiple games in one or multiple tasks in one game eg. dressup for dressup fans, grinding for repetitive freaks like me who prefer to focus on conversation, so people may get into one of them. Also patterned on poor ppls countries and hardware which lacks video graphs and limits the internet paid speed because it can only reach 100mb so lag may be a thing and ruin things.

Yep. Low Internet speeds and old-ish hardware would need to be accommodated.

Rexi wrote:
Also pvp may be intimidating and too fast for me & beginners or old folks who are trying to catch up with tech or lvl 3 autistics. On the other hand some games are useful for iq improvement and other brain parts and visual improvements.

Games could be structured so that there would be incentives for teams to take on newcomers in certain limited roles. I'm not sure how that work, but someone with enough imagination could probably make it work, somehow. (An example that popped into my head, though probably not the best such possible idea, would be a medieval combat simulation game where the players start out as pages and squires and then eventually become knights.)

Still, the games would not be for everyone, of course. They would be just one avenue that would work well for some people.

dorkseid
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2021, 8:50 pm

I never liked RPGs, MMOs, RTSs, or FPSs.

I mostly like fighting games like Street Fighter and Tekken. And while they can be played online, they don't allow as many social opportunities. They are also relatively niche compared to other genres.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

19 Apr 2021, 3:44 am

jimmy m wrote:
This approach will not fit every Aspie male. But there are some that will find this approach workable. There are several Aspies that have marketable skills, have become financially independent and earn a decent living. Yet they find it difficult to find a mate because they are shy and introverted.

Dorkseid, if you got your TESOL (Teaching English as a Second or Foreign Language) in 2014, what prevented you from going to someplace like Japan and teaching? The Japanese have almost instituted a system for this. They even provide housing. Some people use this approach as a springboard to go independent after a year or two and create their own teaching companies. If you are good at teaching English, the pay will be decent.
I just had a thought that some of the younger lonely single guys could look into joining the Peace Corps. They could get living accommodations in a poorer country & they might could meet a woman there who would find foreign men exotic & attractive & who would also be wanting to move to another country. The guys could get money to go to college after they leave the Corps & they would also learn various skills & gain experience that could help them get a decent job after. Someone suggested that idea to me YEARS ago & I looked into it a tad. I submitted an app but they rejected me cuz I have various disabilities & no skills :( An Aspie guy who has some skills & less disabilities would likely have a much better chance of being accepted. Things may be very screwed up rite now thou with the pandemic going on so it might be better to look into joining after things improve a bit more.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition