Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2020, 9:42 am

I am thinking of this as over the last 16 years or so I reached a point where I gave up all my goals in life after hitting the first burnout. Nothing else was more important to me then recovery (Apart from God and His will), so I found myself giving up on many dreams that I had in order that I should survive. (I gave up my house, a classic car which I had planned to drive across to Switzerland (Even had snow tyres mounted on spare wheels for the trip), camper etc, etc.).
But my thoughts are, that should I have a goal or a dream to work to, I set the course towards that goal or dream. The burnouts for me were storms in life. I had to bail out all non essential dreams so I could survive.
Now ok, I am alive. I am still afloat in calmer seas... I can wait for God to inspire me with new dreams and goals, so I can head into a new destination in life.
Depression came in the storms. The "Giving up" of old dreams that I clung onto was hard.
Being battered by storms left me emotionally numb.
And these storms... Well, I have not come across such "Weather" before, and yes, they were storms which others would call a bit of wind! But they hit me and left me battered.
Now I am in a somewhat calmer enviroment, where I am heading to port to drop off a passenger and then need some harbouring so I can be ready to sail the seas again! So, I am preparing the charts ready for a new destination and a new journey. A new adventure!

Anyway. Why write this? Why write something in a parable form? I don't know. It helps to explore my thoughts and helps share... And maybe you are going through storms? Maybe you are lost in the seas? Maybe you are in the doldrums of depression? What I want to say is that it is not the end. It is just a season. You may need a new chart after the storm has died. You may need new goals. A new adventure. You may need harbouring for repairs... But YOU are a vessel which can sail the world...
What am I saying? The storms come and go, but you are still afloat. You still have a mast to put up a sail to catch the wind towards your dream!
Some of you need new charts. New destinations. A new adventure. Life is not over yet. You are still afloat, and while you are still afloat, you have HOPE. Cling onto hope and she will steer you! Aaaaargh! :mrgreen:

Lace-Bane
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2020, 2:33 pm

have come to suspect regular burnout, weakness, pain, unrestful sleep, and migraines had are influenced by vitamin d deficiency. had blood drawn, and it was deficient again... do you take a d3 supplement?

planning to stick with doing that this time, as its difficult to get naturally with being in few non-fortified foods, having many sensitivities, and regular overcast days.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2020, 4:15 pm

Interesting.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2020, 11:27 am

MountainGoat,

Thank you for writing this. My friend and I are currently at a burnout stage with our Toastmasters group, which will almost certainly die out next month. We are hoping to find and make something new and better but, right now, we both need to consider our physical and mental health as we begin new projects.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2020, 12:04 pm

IstominFan wrote:
MountainGoat,

Thank you for writing this. My friend and I are currently at a burnout stage with our Toastmasters group, which will almost certainly die out next month. We are hoping to find and make something new and better but, right now, we both need to consider our physical and mental health as we begin new projects.

I need to read what I wrote for myself too. I need to encourage myself. :D

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2020, 12:09 pm

I was thinking. I am good at thinking up ideas. I could design and build a little raft type boat and sail the world! :D I may need to make it about 10 to 12 ft long because I will need it to carry water and food. A nice sail... I think it can be done. I don't know much about boats though and I can't really swim that well. So I will need to bring a piece of polystyrene just incase, and a rope for an anchor, and an anchor. How much rope will I need? I was told the sea bed can be a mile deep. Would I need to carry a miles worth of rope?
Many years ago where I used to live, at the bottom of our garden was a garage where we could keep our car. Was wide enough for two cars and more, and it used to be a blacksmiths. The blacksmith made himself an iron boat. The whole village came out to help take it to the sea about two miles away. Everyone watched the launch and it sunk. It is still there at the edge of the harbour to this day! I think my boat will be made from wood! :mrgreen:

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2020, 7:23 pm

That's very well written and thought out post.

I think a lot of burnout is prolonged from lack of nutrients too.

Since today I felt awful and burnt out and weak and extra befuddled... i made myself drink fresh juice with various greens and fruit...of course I bought it as I didn't have tje energy to make it..

Within 20 minutes of drinking it I felt better...like I can breathe fully again...

Not that it's a cure just that it's a great help.

But that story about the blacksmith's boat is interesting. Your writing about boats brings to mind Mr Peggotty and co. In David Copperfield