Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2020, 1:55 pm

I whistle or hum almost all the time.
In particular when there is a low volume background noice like from an AC, or when I am doing some monotonous work like cuttting wood with a hand saw.
I suspect also that it may be my way of stimming.
It usually is a short tune that I repeat over and over again.
It can be quite annoying for others, since I often go what sounds like off key, but since I have the original tune in my head it doesn't sound off key to me.

Anyone else?

/Mats

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2020, 5:02 pm

If I’m on my own without music on tend to go da da da to tunes I know.
Sometimes quite emphatically. :lol:

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2020, 5:15 pm

Often have tunes going round my head, but only now and then will I sing them etc as I am a little shy unless around people I know very well.

Things like....
"What a day for a daydream..."

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2020, 5:59 pm

I hum most of the time. I suspect it is my way of stimming.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2020, 6:11 pm

Bees hum. Maybe they are singing a tune in their heads? "Buzzzzz...."

I was thinking of the joke "Why do bees hum? Because they don't know the words!".

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2020, 7:16 pm

I often will have short tunes or a part of a song stuck in my head on repeat, if I'm feeling cheerful and am alone I will hum them. I know I frequently use "Up on the Housetop," "Campton Races," and a few brief songs I played when I took piano lessons that probably don't exist outside of the lesson books as stims.

For some reason, though, whistling makes me instantly and irrationally irritated, even when it isn't a pitch that hurts my ears.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

03 Mar 2020, 7:49 pm

I mostly just hum when I'm brushing my teeth. I never knew how to whistle

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Handa Rei
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Mar 2020, 4:39 pm

I whistle a lot, whole songs sometimes, but rarely around others. If i'm in the street without company I might. I hum sometimes. I whistle mostly because I enjoy it, but sometimes I hum/whistle in an attempt to comfort myself.

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2020, 2:16 pm

If was funny today.
I discussed this with a colleague who has an ADD diagnosis and also makes lots of sounds.
He told me that when we stopped talking to do some work, after 3-4 steps away from me he started whistling and when he made a short pause he heard me whistling too.
I whistle during almost all awake time ATM, I believe it's because of a really uncomfortable atmosphere at work, with one colleague being totaly unreasonable and inunderstandable and another down right mean.

/Mats

pyrrhicwren
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2020, 10:13 am

I do the whistle but it's mixed with heavy breathing and pressed lips. Weird. I'm not sure if for me this is leaning towards Tourettes; I am in the middle somewhere. Side notes: if I recall correctly, 15% of Tourette's is the stuff you see on tv, I have increasingly bad tic disorder which a few exhibit some form of Tourette's. Not sure if it is mild Tourette's or bad tics. There's a guy on youtube named Tourette's cop that has more motor tics than anything. Mine are not to that level but still far from being "normal".

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2020, 11:01 am

I do something midway between humming and outright singing, just without words. Not quiet. Mostly random chunks of classical music. I did this pretty much non-stop before I started school, but later learned to repress it when there were people present. Had some embarassing moments at work when I thought I was the last one in the building.

nadroJ
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2020, 11:26 am

I whistle with the birds sometimes, kinda makes me feel like I am part of an ancient tribe as I know our African ancestors did this also.

Off Topic
I suppose the root of human music/language may have first rooted from the verbal calling and response/copying of animals(?)

Sometimes I beat box (badly) when I am nervous.

Sandpiper
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 May 2020, 3:10 pm

I can't stand people whistling or humming. It makes me feel as though I am going to explode. My sister used to hum all the time when we were little as she knew I couldn't cope with it*. Some of my work colleagues often indulge in short bouts of tuneless whistling, humming and "singing". I've no idea why. I just want to beat them to a pulp when they do it, and then beat them some more.

*My sister and I get on just fine nowadays.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2020, 3:56 pm

I don't really hum or whistle but I do lots of echolalia sound effects for the instruments.

Velorum
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2020, 5:17 pm

Yes, I hum to myself a lot - usually when I am on my own as I have been told so many times by others how irritating or odd it is. I find it comforting.

Non-binary member of the LGBTQ+ community