If you can't make friends - make enemies?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

06 Mar 2020, 2:01 am

After encountering an internet entity who keeps attacking me, I started to wonder:
Are some people so lonely that they try to at least have some enemies?
After all, an active enemy is kind of a strong human bond, isn't it? Having enemies makes you relate to someone, places you somewhere in social world.

I think it's tragic. Being such a person must be so painful and disappointing - while having such a person in your environment is obviously a pain, too.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2020, 4:04 am

I think that humans tend to feel morally righteous when they’re attacking other humans supposed “evil”.
And some folks get wrapped up in bolstering their self-esteem this way that they fail to realise what jerks they’re being.
You may be on the receiving of something like this. :shrug:

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2020, 4:13 am

magz wrote:
After encountering an internet entity who keeps attacking me, I started to wonder:
Are some people so lonely that they try to at least have some enemies?
After all, an active enemy is kind of a strong human bond, isn't it? Having enemies makes you relate to someone, places you somewhere in social world.

I think it's tragic. Being such a person must be so painful and disappointing - while having such a person in your environment is obviously a pain, too.

You are an amazing person magz, I believe such people deserve our compassion also. No happy person would dedicate their time to causing pain to others. Can you not block them or report them?

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

06 Mar 2020, 4:20 am

Teach, I just said that one more message and I report them. I prefer to warn first.

Karamazov wrote:
I think that humans tend to feel morally righteous when they’re attacking other humans supposed “evil”.
And some folks get wrapped up in bolstering their self-esteem this way that they fail to realise what jerks they’re being.
You may be on the receiving of something like this. :shrug:

Lol, you may be very right - it all started with philosophical/religious disagreement.
I've seen this IRL, too - actively seeking those of different views to insult them.
Maybe humans just need this?

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2020, 4:26 am

^ By the way Teach: I think I got rather overexcited spotting some metaphors in one of your posts and turning them inside out... and suspect I may also have been rather sarcy without really realising whilst doing so.

Sorry :oops:

——————————————

@magz: yeah, a byproduct of the need to attain and assert social dominance I suspect...

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

06 Mar 2020, 5:38 am

Karamazov wrote:
@magz: yeah, a byproduct of the need to attain and assert social dominance I suspect...

Or a residue from our long history of tribe wars.

Phoenix20
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Mar 2020, 6:16 am

You can not make friends because of Aspergers and it easier for people to hate you because of Aspergers.
You have Aspergers and it is the Aspergers people hate about you.
There is nothing you can do about it, therapy does not change the fact you have Aspergers.

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2020, 6:35 am

Phoenix20 wrote:
You can not make friends because of Aspergers and it easier for people to hate you because of Aspergers.
There is nothing you can do about it, therapy does not change the fact you have Aspergers.

Whilst everything you say is true in general of our lives (although “hate” is a very strong word, best used with caution), I have a couple of points:

• The OP has stated they were referring to interactions on this site: so AS-NT miscommunication although not impossible is unlikely in this instance.

• Enough of this sort of thing goes on on social media across the board to make assuming every occurrence is due to neurological differences an unsound conclusion.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

06 Mar 2020, 7:32 am

Phoenix20 wrote:

Let me make something straight: I do have friends. Even on this site, with fully official diagnoses of Asperger's or autism.
I believe I am a friend to my daughter diagnosed with AS.
The fact that you can't be friends with most people (because you don't get them and they don't get you) does not mean you can't have any friends.

I was wondering if continuously attacking someone and perceiving them as their enemy (even if the said person just wants to be left alone) is some form of compensation for lack of more positive human relationships?

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2020, 8:09 am

Karamazov wrote:
^ By the way Teach: I think I got rather overexcited spotting some metaphors in one of your posts and turning them inside out... and suspect I may also have been rather sarcy without really realising whilst doing so.

——————————————

You are forgiven Karamazov, metaphors are tricky :D I didn't notice, I will have to go back and get retroactively angry. (Joke)

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2020, 8:44 am

Teach51 wrote:
Karamazov wrote:

——————————————

You are forgiven Karamazov, metaphors are tricky :D I didn't notice, I will have to go back and get retroactively angry. (Joke)

:lol: Coolness 8)

I like the idea of retroactive anger: but can we make it a compound word?

Retroanger?
Retranger?
Rewrathening?

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2020, 9:18 am

Karamazov wrote:
Teach51 wrote:
Karamazov wrote:

——————————————

Retroanger?
Retranger?
Rewrathening?

Retroangst? Rewrathening is awesome.

Karamazov! I am rewrathening with you! Be ashamed retroactively.

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2020, 9:22 am

Teach51 wrote:
Karamazov wrote:
Teach51 wrote:
Karamazov wrote:

——————————————

Retroanger?
Retranger?
Rewrathening?

Retroangst? Rewrathening is awesome.

Karamazov! I am rewrathening with you! Be ashamed retroactively.

Consider me suitably retrashamified :(

:wink: