Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2020, 11:45 am

I almost had a seizure this morning.I started having tremors that started to increase more and more.

I took two Ativan or lorazapam tablets and chewed then to a jaged edge which cut the roof of my mouth.
Then I suck on the Ativan tabs and worked them into the cuts in my mouth.

This put the Ativan right into the bloodstream and within 5 minutes while curled up in the fetal position on my bed,the Ativan hit my heart and the tremors stopped and a feeling of tranquility came over me.

I never recommend taking medication other than as prescribed but if it might save your life, you do what you have to.

It was a very scary experience to say the least,thank God I'm precribed Ativan or lorazapam.

I didnt want to end up at a hospital because an epilepsy DX could cost you your driver's license.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2020, 12:04 pm

I'm glad you're OK vermont!!

It was smart to take Ativan in that situation. Do you have any baby aspirin? That might help you as well. The kind they tell people to take once a day to prevent circulatory problems, or if you have any symptoms. If you could take your blood pressure soon that would be helpful too.

Hugs -- rest up!

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2020, 12:12 pm

Thank you for your concern, I also take clonadine and mertazapine which also help.

What I did wrong was drink way to much coffee this morning before I had taken any medicine,that was the problem.This doesn't happen to me often maybe 5 years ago was the last.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2020, 12:14 pm

Your Clonadine should help, in particular!

I hope you feel better soon!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2020, 12:41 pm

I hope you feel better.

Sorry that you had to go through that.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2020, 1:04 pm

Thanks everybody 8) 8) :heart:

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2020, 3:00 pm

I'm scared of Attivan personally, I got neuroleptic malignant syndrome when I was stuck on it in the hospital. My breathing was suppressed & I could hardly walk.

Be careful with this stuff.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2020, 3:12 pm

cberg wrote:
I'm scared of Attivan personally, I got neuroleptic malignant syndrome when I was stuck on it in the hospital. My breathing was suppressed & I could hardly walk.

Be careful with this stuff.
Ive been taking it for 15 years,my tolerance is high,it's best to stay away from it if you can.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2020, 4:55 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
I almost had a seizure this morning.I started having tremors that started to increase more and more.

I took two Ativan or lorazapam tablets and chewed then to a jaged edge which cut the roof of my mouth.
Then I suck on the Ativan tabs and worked them into the cuts in my mouth.

This put the Ativan right into the bloodstream and within 5 minutes while curled up in the fetal position on my bed,the Ativan hit my heart and the tremors stopped and a feeling of tranquility came over me.

I never recommend taking medication other than as prescribed but if it might save your life, you do what you have to.

It was a very scary experience to say the least,thank God I'm precribed Ativan or lorazapam.

I didnt want to end up at a hospital because an epilepsy DX could cost you your driver's license.

Is it real hot where you are?

Edit: also, was this the first one? I think it takes at least two seizures in a short period of time to get DXd with epilepsy.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2020, 4:58 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
Thank you for your concern, I also take clonadine and mertazapine which also help.

What I did wrong was drink way to much coffee this morning before I had taken any medicine,that was the problem.This doesn't happen to me often maybe 5 years ago was the last.

How much coffee in how much time?

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2020, 5:12 pm

I didn't see this until today, vermontsavant. I am sorry you went through that. You did do the right thing. As cberg said, some people stop breathing with benzos (one of my clients does), but if you have been taking them for years, and the dose is not too high, it is likely okay. And clearly you are okay. And taking fast action is what was needed. Seizures can produce lasting brain damage.

I get myself dosed up on too much caffeine. Not often, but it does play havoc with my body when I do. :oops: If I could just limit myself to one cup of coffee a day. :roll:

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2020, 5:33 pm

blazingstar wrote:
I didn't see this until today, vermontsavant. I am sorry you went through that. You did do the right thing. As cberg said, some people stop breathing with benzos (one of my clients does), but if you have been taking them for years, and the dose is not too high, it is likely okay. And clearly you are okay. And taking fast action is what was needed. Seizures can produce lasting brain damage.

I get myself dosed up on too much caffeine. Not often, but it does play havoc with my body when I do. :oops: If I could just limit myself to one cup of coffee a day. :roll:

I was trying to figure out how much coffee in how much time because I was wondering if maybe the caffeine was doing something. I can think of two possible actions.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2020, 6:01 pm

whew glad you had presence of mind enough to think to use your med in such a emergency
Glad you got through it congrats on saving yourself and your future driving abilities . ! :)
Good to see you still posting here .

where ever you go ,there you are

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2020, 5:21 am

Jakki wrote:
whew glad you had presence of mind enough to think to use your med in such a emergency
Glad you got through it congrats on saving yourself and your future driving abilities . ! :)
Good to see you still posting here .
Thanks

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2020, 5:34 am

Bravo5150 wrote:
blazingstar wrote:

I was trying to figure out how much coffee in how much time because I was wondering if maybe the caffeine was doing something. I can think of two possible actions.

if you don't mind, what are the two possible actions?

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2020, 7:01 am

auntblabby wrote:
Bravo5150 wrote:
blazingstar wrote:

if you don't mind, what are the two possible actions?

Caffeine is both a stimulant and a diuretic. One possible problem I would more commonly associate with popping several caffeine pills is overstimulation of the nervous system. The other possibility is depleting through urinating certain vitamins to an extreme enough extent to cause a seizure. Both possibilities would have other questions about what symptoms were felt before hand.