Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Anewbie
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Mar 2020, 12:59 pm

For those with diagnosed bipolar 2 and are on mood stabilizers how controlled are your symptoms and episodes? Long story short I am officially diagnosed with depression and anxiety but on mood stabilizer Lamotrigine due to hypomania with depression meds. My psychiatrist said I would be rediagnosed if I have anymore episodes. I’ve had more episodes but I haven’t said anything since I have a security clearance. I’m thinking of coming clean but I don’t think there will ever be a world free of symptoms. I just don’t know if it’s really worth coming clean

MissMause
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Mar 2020, 2:58 am

I was diagnosed recently with Bipolar 2, but I’ve been on a mood stabilizer for years since anti depressants and anti anxiety medications seemed to make my episodes worse. I’ve been on Effexor for at least 6 years now, and it makes me kind of at a neutral state. I somewhat feel numb emotionally in a way, but in my opinion it’s better than feeling as depressed as I get or as manic as I can get. It’s a little upsetting that I don’t really feel a lot, but after years of being unmedicated or mismedicated, it’s somewhat of a relief. And I have been able to find happiness easier in things now than I used to be. I get in my depressed episodes a lot less and usually bounce back to a normal state faster. I used to have anxiety attacks daily, now they’re maybe 3-4 times a month. I’m in a manic state maybe 2-4 days out of the month now.
Honestly I would tell your psych, it can get bearable if you ask for a different medication and find one that works for you. I usually give them about 3-4 weeks, and if I don’t feel like it’s working I’ll ask for it to change. But if you feel even worse(Wellbutrin gave me extreme suicidal thoughts and motivation to do so) tell them immediately. I think I was on Wellbutrin for maybe a week before we decided to yank me off of that.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2020, 4:27 pm

Rediagnosed to what? I have Bipolar I Disorder with Psychotic Features. What constitutes another episode? Depressive or hypomanic?

Anewbie
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Apr 2020, 7:08 am

livingwithautism wrote:
Rediagnosed to what? I have Bipolar I Disorder with Psychotic Features. What constitutes another episode? Depressive or hypomanic?

Occasional depression but not really. It’s mainly hypomania

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2020, 8:52 am

Anewbie wrote:
livingwithautism wrote:

Occasional depression but not really. It’s mainly hypomania

So what are they going to change it to?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

03 Apr 2020, 8:56 pm

Anewbie wrote:
My psychiatrist said I would be rediagnosed if I have anymore episodes. I’ve had more episodes but I haven’t said anything since I have a security clearance.
I'm sure your a hell of a lot more stable than Trump & he's allowed to be commander n chief of the military & have the nuclear missile codes.

I was originally diagnosed with bipolar 2 by my GP when I was going through a psychotic depression. I was put on an antidepressant, an antipsychotic, & Lithium. I saw a psych for 5 years & I did have some symptoms but the meds helped hold me together while I worked on myself in various ways. I was able to quit the meds after the 5 years but I got on some psych meds since then. I realized BAD anxiety during my 1st relationship caused me to majorly screw things up & it triggered my mental breakdown. I researched anxiety meds & got on Buspar/Buspirone. It's unique in that it's specially for anxiety & isn't an antidepressant or benzo. It helps my anxiety a lot & maybe it'll be worth trying for you Anewbie if you haven't yet. I got on some other psych meds since then too but I'm not gonna go into it since my issues are different than yours & i highly doubt I'd qualify for the bipolar 2 label now. Have you tried antipsychotics? They're usually used for bipolar along with mood stabilizers & some can help with depression. They might could help with anxiety in some cases but they're not commonly used just for anxiety.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition