Feminine 44%  44%  [ 17 ]
Masculine 15%  15%  [ 6 ]
Equally feminine/masculine 41%  41%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 39

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2020, 9:10 am

I'm not stereotypically feminine. For example, one stereotypically feminine personality trait is submissiveness, which I hate. I like to be assertive, even if I'm not necessarily the alpha of the group. Another thing girls like me are taught at a young age is to be nurturing in order to prepare for child care later. Not only am I uninterested in having and caring for children, but I dislike the idea of being confined to the home setting. I'd rather go out and explore the world!

Appearance-wise, I'm not super feminine either. The clothing I wear can fit any gender, including non-binary ones. I also do not wear makeup or paint my nails.

What do you think? Are you more feminine, masculine, or equally both?

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2020, 11:13 am

I’m feminine but not stereotypically. I love wearing coordinated outfits with jewelry and makeup and am a bit vain. Cute things keep me happy.

As far as personality goes I’m not submissive nor assertive. I’m basically the kind of person who likes to be alone.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2020, 11:51 am

I have a petite hourglass figure that screams femininity. Wearing pink nail polish, lipgloss, and heels. And a cute little watch. I diet and exercise to keep my weight under 50 kg. 8 stones for the folks in the UK.

I am good with my hands. I learned to type in school. I go home to work on my garden and cook dinner.

Last edited by BTDT on 10 Mar 2020, 12:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2020, 11:54 am

I don't know. My personality's definitely not what is traditionally considered feminine, I rarely use makeup and don't follow fashion. I do like pretty clothes (pretty to me; it's irrelevant if they're "in" or not), I like flowers and cute things and my biological clock does tick.

Honestly, I don't really care either.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2020, 1:09 pm

I've pretty much always been very stereotypically feminine. Loved playing with dolls as a child, went on to love working with babies and children(had 3 of my own). Love nursing and caring for others. I wear make-up daily(red nails and lips), do my hair, love feminine clothes, love perfumes, have a very feminine boudoir etc. Sew, love cooking, cleaning, home decor(though on the masculine side do love painting walls, putting up wallpaper, interior design etc).

Last edited by Juliette on 10 Mar 2020, 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2020, 1:30 pm

I hate it when women who are less feminine than me have short hair, don’t wear makeup, never put any effort into their outfits but still claim to love cute material possessions and they still think they are prissy ladylike princesses and aren’t materialistic at all.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

Sandpiper
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Mar 2020, 9:39 pm

I never wear makeup, not even for special occasions nowadays. My hair gets a quick brush everyday merely to avoid excessive tangles and I dress purely for comfort in trekking shoes and trousers and fleece top. I work in a very male dominated industry. I have no interest in children whatsoever and I like everything in my home to be practical rather than pretty.

I'm happiest when I'm on my knees on a beach with my hands in a lovely rockpool, or out on the sea by myself in my kayak, or when I'm watching birds for hours on end to learn about their behaviour.

I don't know or care whether I fit some gender stereotype or not. I'm just me.

Whale_Tuune
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2020, 6:52 pm

I am quite feminine, to the point where friends have sometimes made a point of telling me "you're wearing pants!" because I prefer skirts and dresses.

My personality and hobbies are somewhat feminine too, but my communication style is more blunt and masculine.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2020, 5:30 am

Maybe both, maybe neither. Or either. Because sometimes I'm just 'either' or 'neither' or 'both'. I don't know. I've known myself as agender or nonbinary.

Supposely innately masculine, brought up and built as feminine. Instead of 'both', it just clashes.
As if it's not combined despite embodying both/either as if it's a heterogenous mixture (red and blue) than homogeneous mixture (violet) of 'both'. Just unequally or apathetically both...

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

12 Mar 2020, 6:23 am

I feel feminine but in some basal, mammalian-but-not-really-human way.
I don't wear makeup nor jewellery nor feminine clothing. My style is asexual and geeky. On social level, this is the most important message about me that I want other people to read: "you're dealing with a geek, expect me to behave geeky" - instead of e.g. "you're dealing with a female, expect me to behave feminine".

If someone tries to make me submiss because of my gender, I can become quite nasty, lol. I'm not comfortable with social hierarchies in general. I'm an outsider of valuable insight and that's what I can offer to the society - another reason to present myself as a geek, nothing else.

My feminity is confined to reproduction but it's very strong there. I'm a mother and the kind of bond I have with my children is unlike anything else. I identify with wolf or bear mothers who nurture, guide, protect and teach their offspring - but also growl and bite, with the ultimate goal of sending strong, independent individuals out to the world. This instinct is really mighty.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

AriaEclipse
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2020, 10:40 am

I get told I'm pretty "tomboyish" and get criticized a lot for it by my family and a bit by my peers. As a kid, I tried to dress more "feminine" to fit in with my peers but as I got older and definitely around when I graduated high school, I began just wearing leggings and t-shirts and I stopped bothering to do anything with my hair or anything aside from just showering and staying hygienic. Lately however, I've been wondering and feeling quite torn as to if I want to dress more feminine. I feel like I have two sides and I've been wondering if I should explore the more "feminine" side. Most of the other girls/women I know (both NT and Autistic) dress in a more feminine and some even are into makeup and beauty stuff and I've never tried that kind of stuff and am growing more and more curious about it.

My Tumblr

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2020, 11:42 am

magz wrote:
My feminity is confined to reproduction but it's very strong there. I'm a mother and the kind of bond I have with my children is unlike anything else. I identify with wolf or bear mothers who nurture, guide, protect and teach their offspring - but also growl and bite, with the ultimate goal of sending strong, independent individuals out to the world. This instinct is really mighty.

From what I've seen about mothers of different species, that's a pretty common motherly instinct. I find it pretty stupid that when people talk about someone being "motherly" they usually just think about a nurturing and caring personality despite the fact that it's so obvious in the nature that "motherly" is also about attacking furiously and violently at anything that threates one's family. Conclusion: violence for the sake of others is very feminine. :twisted:

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2020, 9:39 pm

I view feminity as something movable, not fixed. It's like a type of energy, sometimes my energy is more masculine, a mix of both and sometimes very feminine.
Usually it's a balance of the two.
It depends on my mood or the context or what's needed at a point in time.

Outwardly I prefer subtle quirky looks, usually quite feminine, accessories that hint at creativity, but they have to be practical and comfortable to wear.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2020, 12:28 am

How much is femininity defined by societal roles anyway? My guess is that it is another nature/nurture argument. I feel I am feminine even if I'm not soft/nurturing/meek what have you.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

13 Mar 2020, 4:26 am

Fireblossom wrote:
magz wrote:

From what I've seen about mothers of different species, that's a pretty common motherly instinct. I find it pretty stupid that when people talk about someone being "motherly" they usually just think about a nurturing and caring personality despite the fact that it's so obvious in the nature that "motherly" is also about attacking furiously and violently at anything that threates one's family. Conclusion: violence for the sake of others is very feminine. :twisted:

Definitely, the chances for unprovoked agression in mammals are the highest when encountering a mother with her offspring. Based on public transport experiences, humans are no exception.
I think the culture tries to ignore this aspect when describing what "motherly" or even "womanly" means - but it's deep and basal and it's just there, that's a common mammalian survival strategy.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2020, 7:15 am

I'm a mix of both but tend to lean more towards the feminine side.

My feet are a bit wide and I have long toes. I'm also fairly tall at 5'8. My body is somewhat boyish, since my lanky figure is a rectangular shape and I'm small chested. Plus, my face is somewhat square but my rounded cheeks with dimples make it appear less so.

In terms of my dress sense I wear a mixture. One day I might be wearing a dress, the next day loose fitting flannel and jeans. Sometimes a combination of feminine and masculine. It really depends on what I feel in the mood to be wearing in that moment. Unisex tank tops with beach prints and T-shirts on something I like (such as Harry Potter) are a common choice for me. I don't wear make-up but I've considered getting into it.

As for mannerisms, I'd say that's a mixture as well.

When it comes to personality I'm shy at first, but once you get to know me I can be fairly confident at times. I've been told that I can come across as unfriendly at first and people have been surprised once we became friends. You might mistakenly think that I can't be assertive, but you'd be wrong. I can lead others yet I prefer to give people the chance to take charge rather than taking the lead automatically. So I usually end up being second in command and take over if things start going south. I usually take a soft-spoken approach, keeping my tone level and my point concise. Most of the time I don't have to raise my voice, I just have to start talking and people listen. The trick is to appear confident and calm. Physically leaning in slightly can be a subtle way to gain attention also.

I can be nurturing which can surprise people. Apparently I can come across as a little blunt and lacking a filter. However, I am able to care of things. I managed to keep a plant alive for five years once. When it came to dolls, I usually used them as characters that went on adventures or acted as though they were my friend. I used to have a baby doll as a child, but I didn't treat it as a baby. My behaviour towards it was closer to how someone might treat a slightly younger brother. I'd explain my problems to them and pretend to have full on conversations rather than baby talk. Then I developed a fear of dolls and I'd certainly not want to pretend to care one for now. I hate it when dolls are facing me with their lifeless eyes. Babies don't bother me though. Ideally, I'd like a future life where I can enjoy a mix of home and work life.

Usually I choose things based on what I want rather than trying to appear a certain way. I might wear a plain button up shirt with flowery shoes. Typically I keep my hair shoulder-length or up to my chest. I remember taking an old quiz that has since been archived, the results were on a scale of masculine and feminine. Zero in the middle going up to fifty in both directions. The left side was masculine, the right side was feminine. Each side went in fives. The average for female users was twenty-five on the feminine side, and for male users it was twenty-five on the masculine side. I ended up with five on the masculine side, fairly close to the middle. Personally I think I'm more feminine than that though.