Living in Quarantine is Weird

Page 1 of 12 [ 182 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2020, 4:15 pm

I have been isolated and alone for 2 weeks because of Corona (not sick). No-one is allowed in my home, groceries are ordered and left outside the door and my connection with the outside world is virtual only.

Now I am fine staying at home, I had a breakdown last year and for six months I literally didn't leave the house. This is different. No-one can come in, no touching, no hugging, no drinking coffee with friends, no conversations with neighbours when I throw out the garbage. 2 meters distance between people. No more than ten people anywhere allowed to gather. No restaurants, coffee shops, galleries open. Only pharmacies and food stores. The number of sick triples every day but the fact that we have no fatalities yet encourages us to do as we are told and isolate to delay mass simultaneous infection. This is going to be a long time. Will I go mad? I am a social creature. I have 100 rolls of TP ( you may be jealous) plus a bidet so my rear end is amply provided for but .... I have a little garden that is keeping me sane and also my belief that this virus has come to change us, to teach us that this time of upgrade and consumerism and botox is not the correct path. We have abused nature and we must restore the equilibrium by being responsible for each other and not exist for self gain only.

I am painfully lonely though I talk to many friends throughout the day, even having therapy with my psychologist by Skype. Can I survive months walled up, I have no car and buses and taxi are dangerous regarding being infected with the virus. But I have food and supplies, I encourage others to hold on and not be afraid, I am not afraid but I want to live to see a kinder, more benevolent world before I leave it.

It is like living in a bizzare movie, I have survived many wars and much personal suffering but I have never experienced or imagined anything like this. I think the world will never be the same and that is not a bad thing. Corona is natures' way of saying start respecting each other, work together in harmony, stop destroying everything good just for greed. Spend less love more.Take care of your children, live simply, be grateful. How long will it take? Not seeing my lover, not allowing anyone in, my life depends on it, though Corona is a quick death and sometimes I think, Teach, that's not a bad way to go all things considered, when I am so battle weary and tired. For now I am shut away in my own head and I am still fairly sane :D

WildColonial
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2020, 4:54 pm

I agree that we need to take care of each other to the best of our ability to get through this. So far I’m still able to go to work (as far as I know), but my wife’s college has gone online only and our recovery meetings have mostly closed temporarily. I’m using Facebook Messenger and texting a lot. I looked into online therapy, but it’s not really in our budget .

“‘Why was I chosen?’ ‘Such questions cannot be answered,’ said Gandalf. ‘You may be sure that it was not for any merit that others do not possess: not for power or wisdom, at any rate. But you have been chosen, and you must therefore use such strength and heart and wits as you have.’”

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2020, 4:55 pm

Not sure what kind of response you’re expecting/anticipating/needing to be honest: but thought I’d just register that I’ve read your words.

Hadn’t fully registered that prolonged aloneness could be bad for people’s mental health:
(Hug) stay sane :heart:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2020, 5:08 pm

I know how you feel. I would have cabin fever, too.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2020, 5:47 pm

Even though quarantine is necessary, I'm suspicious enough to also see this as a rehearsal for Martial Law.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2020, 5:54 pm

Quarantine is similar to the experience many in Alaska undergo each year being locked away by the cold and snow in their houses. They suffer from a condition called cabin fever.

So I searched for articles on how to survive cabin fever. There are quite a few. Here is a link to one.
21 Ways to Beat Cabin Fever

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2020, 6:16 pm

Here is a link to another interesting article:

How to avoid going stir crazy at home during coronavirus

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2020, 7:18 pm

I'm really sorry, Teach, we are here for you :heart:

Have you considered doing more things online with friends, not by yourself? Playing a game, video chatting or watching Netflix together?

I know it's not the same as the real thing, but I do this with my wife when I travel or with friends who live abroad and it helps a bit.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2020, 7:34 pm

I'm sorry, Teach. I understand you're not aspie and it falls harder on you, the isolation.

I would second Bender's suggestion of scheduling online activities. I know someone who plays poker online in real time. My grandson in Sweden visits regularly with his dad in California by video skype. They play games and interact and are so comfortable with it.

I can remember many stories of the person who organized games or songs or storytelling to keep others calm without the others even realizing it. Maybe you can find such a group online. Or even start one yourself.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2020, 5:30 am

Thank you all. Keep calm there is more to come for us all but we will get through it.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2020, 5:34 am

jimmy m wrote:
Quarantine is similar to the experience many in Alaska undergo each year being locked away by the cold and snow in their houses. They suffer from a condition called cabin fever.

So I searched for articles on how to survive cabin fever. There are quite a few. Here is a link to one.
21 Ways to Beat Cabin Fever

I am watching the "Wind in the Willows" on YouTube and cleaning out my closet. Thanks Jimmy. Doing pleasant things. Skype session with therapist helped.

https://www.facebook.com/666789412/post ... 574284413/

What I think is going on :D

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2020, 2:23 pm

Sweet Pea hugs

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 Mar 2020, 3:03 pm

Hugs to you, Teach :heart:
Do you like painting?

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2020, 3:20 pm

magz wrote:
Hugs to you, Teach :heart:
Do you like painting?

I actually do. It never entered my mind. I even have paints and canvas! Thanks magz. That might be cathartic.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2020, 3:24 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
I'm really sorry, Teach, we are here for you :heart:

Have you considered doing more things online with friends, not by yourself? Playing a game, video chatting or watching Netflix together?

I know it's not the same as the real thing, but I do this with my wife when I travel or with friends who live abroad and it helps a bit.

I like scrabble, I could do that. We started Zoom chats. Once I get over the initial shock I will start getting into a routine I hope.

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2020, 3:28 pm

blazingstar wrote:
I'm sorry, Teach. I understand you're not aspie and it falls harder on you, the isolation.

I would second Bender's suggestion of scheduling online activities. I know someone who plays poker online in real time. My grandson in Sweden visits regularly with his dad in California by video skype. They play games and interact and are so comfortable with it.

I can remember many stories of the person who organized games or songs or storytelling to keep others calm without the others even realizing it. Maybe you can find such a group online. Or even start one yourself.

I study kabbalah pretty intensively and my group are in constant contact, we are all quarantined, it's so surreal.