Our two tribes disagree about the Coronavirus also

Page 2 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2020, 8:54 pm

Exactly.

With quarantine Corvid is killing over a thousand Americans a day, on top of the 80 thousand its killed in the previous six weeks. So even WITH quarantine Corvid cant possibly finish 2020 before it kills 200 thousand Americans. So even with quarantine your figures show that Corvid is much worse than the common flu is without quarantine. And if we hadn't done quarantine Corvid would have been much worse than that. So your figures show that Corvid is not "comparable to the common flu" but much worse.

So your figures disprove your point.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2020, 2:44 am

i never heard of anybody having to be intubated over a cold. i never heard of a cold killing anybody. i never heard of a cold virus propagating exponentially. the whole thing about this coronabug is its rate of infection which has averaged about 2.8, twice that of your typical flu bug. that is a seemingly cold number but it indicates geometric progression. people don't get what geometric progression means, it is too big for them to think about. so they tune it out. it means a multiplication or compounding of risk, not simply additive. just like compound interest builds a fortune over a sometimes short period, so too compound risk turns into a pandemic and a population decimator in sometimes a relatively short period, say of years.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2020, 4:24 am

I'm not very tribal at all and don't consider myself to be a Republican or a Democrat. Of the two, I would choose Republican over Democrat for the most part as long as it doesn't involve voting for anyone with the name Trump.

I was tested last Thursday and the test results came back Monday -- I do have covid-19. I'm far less concerned about myself than that I might infect others such as my younger brother or his newest grandchild born in September.

I've always been closer to my younger brother than to anyone else I ever knew. I still remember being in a play pen by myself for some time and then my younger brother being put in with me when he was old enough. Then later I was removed and given my own bedroom (actually a large closet with a bunk bed).

We grew up together. Sure, we had our disputes on occasion but we have generally got along very well our entire lives.

If he should get covid-19 from me and either die or be permanently disabled from it, I don't know if I can ever handle it. That would be, to me, about the most disturbing thing ever.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2020, 4:29 am

It is absurd to even conceive Covid as being something akin to common flu.

Sure, there are complications associated with common flu—but complications due to Covid are much more common.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2020, 12:33 am

kokopelli wrote:
I'm not very tribal at all and don't consider myself to be a Republican or a Democrat. Of the two, I would choose Republican over Democrat for the most part as long as it doesn't involve voting for anyone with the name Trump.

I was tested last Thursday and the test results came back Monday -- I do have covid-19. I'm far less concerned about myself than that I might infect others such as my younger brother or his newest grandchild born in September.

I've always been closer to my younger brother than to anyone else I ever knew. I still remember being in a play pen by myself for some time and then my younger brother being put in with me when he was old enough. Then later I was removed and given my own bedroom (actually a large closet with a bunk bed).

We grew up together. Sure, we had our disputes on occasion but we have generally got along very well our entire lives.

If he should get covid-19 from me and either die or be permanently disabled from it, I don't know if I can ever handle it. That would be, to me, about the most disturbing thing ever.

Are you well yourself? I mean...apparently you're a carrier, but are you NOT sick yourself?

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2020, 7:30 am

naturalplastic wrote:
kokopelli wrote:

Are you well yourself? I mean...apparently you're a carrier, but are you NOT sick yourself?

Until now, I've felt fine.

But I woke up this morning a little more uncomfortable -- a small amount of pressure in my lungs. I'll see what happens the rest of the day.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2020, 8:15 am

Take care!

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2020, 10:19 am

Similar Human 'Republican Greed' that took
'Conservatively' Speaking 100,000 or so Innocent Lives
Away From 'Brown Folks' In Middle Eastern Way Will Obviously
Do the Same Here
And Predictable
Even More
as Lies
Grow
Taller and Shorter
With the 'Little Man
Napoleon Syndrome'
Top of the Bottom
Piles of 'Gehenna'
Who Stands Low;
Lower; Lowest;
Karma doesn't
Play 'Trump Lies';
Trump Lies Make
More Death Come
When LeaderShip
Is for Fool's Gold.
A Greatest Reason We Do Not Have the Resources that Should Have Been Allocated By Federal Resources
Per Appropriate Levels of Testing and Contact Tracing For Safer Stage One Reopening as Advised Clearly by
Health Experts on the Pandemic Within the United States is the 'Dear Leader' Is So Desperate to Bandage
The Economy Up in Faux News that He is Willing to Sacrifice as Many Human Beings as it takes to Keep
His Gaslit Lies Alive for Personal Selfish Desires to Get Re-Elected; No Matter What the Cost is to
Real Human Misery, Suffering, And Even More Death to come. It Stands to Reason that the Last
Person You Elect to Any Office; Even dog Catcher, let's Hope; is a Human Being Who shows
No Signs of Empathy; and My God Doesn't Have enough Sense to Understand You Never
Inject Disinfectant into a Human Being as Obviously that causes Human Misery
And Suffering/Death too; this is not Much different Than Killing small Animals
Just for
'kicks';
but now
in this Case
Human
Beings
Cease to Breathe too;
It is Beyond InHumane, it is sick;
But it is only a Symptom of A Many
Decade DisEase in this Country of Hoarding Greed
in Callous DisRegard for All Life that actually Breathes;
If it involves Building Something other than Life, now;
Where Really Human Capital Doesn't even Breathe Fully When it Lives.
A Billion
Dollar
Home
Does
Not Match
The Life
Of
One
Squirrel
Or Even
A Wild FLoWeR
The Lesson
i Breathe❣️
NoW Beauty
Is Well Being
In Balance
Thanks..
Still
Living
In Well Being
Much Gratitude
For Having Enough❤️
For Trump Having Enough
Is Killing Other Folks as Never Likely
Will He Have enough for His void Within.
His Last Breath Leaves NO LOVE AT ALL...
Oh the Void He Will Exhale at that point of the rest of his Living Death.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 May 2020, 3:53 am

I find this going tribal about COVID a very troubling thing. Wrestling between "completely open" and "completely closed" with one or the other side alternately winning and losing is likely to damage the economy and keep high death rate.

On the other end, you have countries like South Korea or Taiwan that managed to keep the outbreak at bay without shutting down their economy.
Or even Poland, if you say, East Asians are disciplined and they trust their governments. Poles are very undisciplined and distrusting towards officials and our current government is generally incompetent. But, fed by disastrous news from Italy, we shut down as soon as confirmed cases emerged and now we're entering the stage III of reopening - early education, hairdressers and beauty salons, several other kinds of businesses and activities - with constant, very low death rate despite our notoriously underfunded healthcare system. I think timing was crucial here, this initial panic in March turned out beneficial.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2020, 3:54 am

amuuuurica can't seem to do anything right.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2020, 1:41 am

The Gap Between Democrats And Republicans Is Growing On The Coronavirus Crisis

Quote:
When it comes to the coronavirus pandemic, one of the storylines we’ve been following is the growing gap between how Democrats and Republicans view the crisis.

The most obvious divide until this point has been largely political: that is, how Democrats and Republicans view President Trump’s handling of the pandemic. As FiveThirtyEight’s tracker on coronavirus polls shows, 82.2 percent of Republicans approve of the president’s response compared with just 12.5 percent of Democrats. But since Trump is arguably the most polarizing president in modern times, it’s not exactly stunning that his approval rating on handling the crisis — 42.7 percent — is more or less identical to his overall job approval rating.

By comparison, attitudes toward state governors and their handling of the pandemic don’t seem especially partisan — at least at this point. A new poll from SurveyMonkey found that every governor’s approval rating was higher than Trump’s — except for Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp’s, whose rating was on par with the president’s. And 42 governors had an approval rating of 60 percent or higher regardless of their states’ political lean. This includes some Republican governors in blue states — such as Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan and Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker — and some Democratic governors in red states — like Montana Gov. Steve Bullock and Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear.

Still, we are starting to see more pronounced splits between Democrats and Republicans on their attitudes toward the coronavirus crisis. The Axios/Ipsos tracking poll found, for instance, that 78 percent of Democrats felt there was a moderate to large risk in attending in-person gatherings compared with 51 percent of Republicans, a 27-percentage-point gap that has doubled since mid-April. As for when to end social distancing and reopen businesses, a new poll from The Economist/YouGov found that 34 percent of Republicans said it was already “safe right now” compared with only 6 percent of Democrats. And when it comes to attending large political rallies, Republicans were nearly twice as likely as Democrats (38 percent to 22 percent) to say they’d be comfortable attending one sometime in the next six months (or sooner) based on what they know about COVID-19, according to a new poll from Morning Consult.

However, Americans overall continue to be very worried about the U.S. economy in the face of the health crisis: In FiveThirtyEight’s tracker, 87.3 percent said they were very or somewhat concerned — right in line with where the numbers have hovered since March.

As a result, there is still fairly strong support for government intervention to aid different parts of the economy. Data For Progress’s latest tracking poll found that 58 percent of Americans supported more government spending to fight the pandemic, even if this increased the national debt and deficit, compared with 42 percent who said the government had spent either enough or too much already. There was a partisan split on this question, though, with 70 percent of Democrats supporting more government spending compared with 42 percent of Republicans. Specific policy ideas such as giving grants to businesses, direct cash transfers to individuals, and universal paid leave were supported by 60 percent or more of Americans (including majorities of Democrats and Republicans).

However, there is some evidence that Democrats and Republicans are split over how and when the economy should reopen. A new HuffPost/YouGov survey found that 46 percent of Americans overall backed reopening some parts of the economy while maintaining partial restrictions on nonessential activities; 30 percent preferred to keep all nonessential businesses and activities shut down or restricted. About half of Democrats favored keeping nonessential businesses shut down and nonessential activities restricted, while only 16 percent of Republicans agreed. By contrast, Republicans were more likely to support reopening some parts of the economy: 57 percent of Republicans said they wanted reopening with some restrictions compared with 38 percent of Democrats. And 22 percent of Republicans said there shouldn’t be any restrictions on reopening businesses or resuming activities versus just 3 percent of Democrats.

The HuffPost/YouGov survey also found that 47 percent of Americans felt that policies in their area were “about right,” while 24 percent felt there weren’t enough restrictions. Only 21 percent felt that their area had too many restrictions. But, again, there was a partisan split on this question: 37 percent of Republicans said there were too many restrictions compared with 7 percent of Democrats. Still, similar shares of Republicans (52 percent) and Democrats (49 percent) thought local actions were on the mark.

There are also signs that the debate over privacy and public health could turn even more partisan. For the moment, Americans seem willing to sacrifice some privacy to combat the novel coronavirus. When they are forced to choose between protecting people’s medical privacy and preventing the spread of COVID-19, a new Gallup survey found that 61 percent of Americans would choose limiting the spread of the disease — even if doing so meant revealing people’s sensitive medical information. But here, too, there were some partisan differences: 57 percent of Republicans prioritized protecting medical privacy compared with 42 of independents and just 23 percent of Democrats. This could be an increasingly controversial topic in the coming weeks, though — tellingly, members of Congress from both parties have already proposed legislation aimed at protecting patient privacy and security.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2020, 6:44 pm

I just know I will never vote Republican after this.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2020, 10:57 pm

This is definitely a case where I side with the Democrats, but I find myself becoming increasingly centrist over time, largely due to this feud happening in the US. I'm not even a citizen of that country, but its BS has been spilling over into internet culture and international politics as a whole. I never thought too hard about it, but now I believe that partisan politics are a cancer that I hope is cleansed one day.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2020, 12:36 am

one can't really be in the "center" regarding social justice and equality. one is either for it or against it.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

24 May 2020, 5:47 am

The way I see things now:
Scientists: We're entering uncharted areas, no idea what awaits there, proceed with extreme caution!
Democrats: Hear? There's imminent doom ahead of us, we must stop now or we all die!
Republicans: Do you have any idea how much money we'll lose if we don't maintain our current speed? And losing money means poverty, poverty means death!

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2020, 5:52 am

some folk only care about money, but they can't take it with 'em where they're gonna go. :twisted: