Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

alobaby
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Mar 2020, 9:41 pm

I've always had this issue where I uncontrollably start talking and interrupt people. My mom used to scream bloody murder at me sometimes when I interrupted her if she was in a bad mood, but I literally couldn't help it. Even when I'd stop myself mid-sentence (that I could do), I'd still get in trouble. It's a little hard to explain too, I just really can't help it and haven't been able to for years. I have gotten better on waiting my turn, but I just can't figure out when it's time to interject I guess? I wait for pauses or when it seems like the person has finished talking, but still, time after time I think I hear a pause and then they keep talking and I've interrupted them. I'd get yelled at too if I said I heard my mom pause and she claims she didn't. That just makes me concerned that I don't hear pauses correctly or something... anyone else with the same issue and similar experiences?

timf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2020, 9:38 am

You might wish to give priorities to interruptions. People will generally be more tolerant of an interruption to ask a question and less tolerant of an interruption to instruct.

You might want to program a mental timer to measure a conversational pause so that a longer interval is applied to a pending interruption if it is anecdotal or instructional.

AnnieAnn

20 Mar 2020, 5:57 pm

I have the same issue with interrupting, and from what I can tell by reactions I get (like "LET ME FINISH MY SENTENCE"), I'm really a severe case. A few people close to me started telling me that I interrupt constantly, and the worst part is that I've been totally unaware that I do that. Completely clueless. I try to be more aware of it but really it makes me not want to do interacting at all, especially on the phone.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2020, 9:18 pm

Me too. All of my life. I’ve often angered people but it’s so hard to not do it. It’s hard enough realizing in the first place that you’re doing it.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2020, 7:51 am

I have the same problem to some extent, but I've gotten better at not interrupting people. I also get interrupted often, so I think that, along with not being able to pick up the signal of someone finishing their turn to talk, I also unknowingly give off that signal to others sometimes even though I've not finished my turn.