Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

JD12345
Toucan
Toucan

22 Mar 2020, 7:16 am

Credit for the term in the thread title goes to this page: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ ... tySlippage

Is anyone else experiencing this at present? A narrative seems to be developing that autistic people won't suffer as much, in a psychological sense, as neurotypical people, but many on the autistic spectrum have routines that will be affected. Then there is also the whole issue of emotional and sensory overload, which may be amplified in many cases in these circumstances.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

22 Mar 2020, 8:52 am

I experience it in my "normal" daily life. At a time of a crisis at least I'm not alone and I have an advantage of having exercised several strategies to climb out of it, so I'm a local beacon of sanity 8)

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2020, 9:02 am

Once again that narrative has a sub-narrative that the autistic population won't suffer as much due to their lack of empathy (implied.)

My sanity level at the moment is just fine--honest!--but as Magz mentioned earlier it is easy to experience this when overwhelmed in normal daily life.

What that feels like is autistic symptoms getting worse--heightened sensory sensitivities, a rise in awkward behavior (monotone voice, abrasive disregard for banter and other B.S., generally stressed-out grouchy autistic stuff.) With the current Covid-19 pandemic I see how this would actually be helpful--for Social Distancing!

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2020, 9:49 am

In a word, yes. All my routines have been altered. I consider myself a more social person now and I miss my friends and my activities.