Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

United777
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Mar 2020, 8:01 pm

Hello I am a high schooler and I just joined, I have Aspergers and I feel very triggered when I am exposed to profanity. To me, they are mental grenades thrown in all directions and when I am hit with one, I feel mentally dead and scared. I live with a family that uses them and I go to school and work and hear them. I am just grossed out and sick of hearing what I consider demonic rituals. I have had enough of foul language and I just want to go a day without hearing anything bad. I feel alone, I feel odd that I am a high schooler that hates bad words and it’s why I don’t have many friends. I just want to know if there’s anyone out there who agrees with me and feels down by these gross terms. Please, I have hope that some of you people are out there.

I love belko61
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2020, 10:08 pm

My niece is 14 and hates profanity! She gets very offended if I play certain songs as well. I still slip occasionally around her but I def respect her for it, and have to admit she's right. We could use a reminder to be more well behaved.
She has lots of friends too - all non-swearing like her. She strongly believes it is demeaning, and often used to bully. She is very mindful of her words so as not to offend anyone. I've heard her tell people several times not to use that kind of language around her and people will giggle usually but they do stop.
Not sure if it will still work for her in high school, but I hope so.

I love belko61
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2020, 10:09 pm

Oh, and welcome to WP!

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2020, 10:08 am

I myself am not the kind of person who swears unless it is for a reasonable purpose (e.g. expressing strong emotions).

I'm used to swearing because of my age. But at the same time, I don't like it too much.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2020, 10:18 am

f****n' ayyyyy…! :D

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2020, 10:34 am

It is very unusual for my language to take on an R rating or even a PG-13 (with *one* use of the F word). My anger and frustration has to get ultra-mega super-strong, which has been happening more than usual these past few horrific weeks. As a teenager I absolutely hated it, and for a while I was obsessed with grammar in general and thought it was wrong to even say everyday slang words that are normally acceptable in Non-Victorian times. When I started going on the internet on a regular basis I had to learn to tolerate it to a point so I wouldn't go non-functionally insane. :(

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2020, 10:44 am

United777 wrote:
Hello I am a high schooler and I just joined, I have Aspergers and I feel very triggered when I am exposed to profanity. To me, they are mental grenades thrown in all directions and when I am hit with one, I feel mentally dead and scared. I live with a family that uses them and I go to school and work and hear them. I am just grossed out and sick of hearing what I consider demonic rituals. I have had enough of foul language and I just want to go a day without hearing anything bad. I feel alone, I feel odd that I am a high schooler that hates bad words and it’s why I don’t have many friends. I just want to know if there’s anyone out there who agrees with me and feels down by these gross terms. Please, I have hope that some of you people are out there.

Friend, welcome to Wrong Planet. I swear like a sailor and am trying to cease due to people like you who feel this way; I am the same in that I sometimes feel threatened by people like this but am different in that I happen to "know the words and know the music."

It's a bit strange out there; but you're not wrong.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2020, 12:23 pm

Emotional self-regulation for ASD folks is difficult and a person being really upset and swearing to top it off is going to be a challenge. If a person isn't upset and is "just" swearing, I can see how that would be annoying b/c it triggers the ASD limbic system. Yes, that would be annoying.

That said as an adult, I swear --- for emphasis when I am really upset. I do not swear in general conversation; I'm a "sweetie". Interestingly, just this morning my daughter overheard a work conversation I was having and wrote me this note: "Mom! why are you saying a lot of bad words" I explained at the time about my part in it, and now thanks to your post will go ask her about her experience of the situation (TY!).

I am the highly expressive and passionate ASD type - and older. My daughter is the unexpressive and detached ASD type - and younger. So is it personality and/or age that is most impactful?

Wishing the people around you respect your sensitivity to swearing and/or that you build additional mental barriers.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2020, 2:06 pm

I think in most circumstances swearing is un-neccessary and confuses me. Some people who get angry at me and use soo many swear words... I just can't tell what they are saying. I just can't work 8t out as in my mind, when I hear certain swear words I shut off. It is an automatic reaction, so if someone is angry, and starts to swear it is difficult for me to work out why they are angry.

Peta
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Apr 2020, 9:01 am

not like swearing

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2020, 9:16 am

I'm a adult, but I do NOT like swearing, other than mild terms like 'damn', 'hell', and 'crap'.

What really bugs me is that nowadays, people are putting too much (*ahem* stronger) foul language in movies, TV shows, music, anime, and other types of media. For what reason, I don't know (other than because it's cool, which to me is stupid).

What ALSO bugs me is that whenever I tell them to stop using words that start with 'f' and 's', especially when used excessively, because it's annoying the living heck out of me, they often tell me to get used to it and giving me the 'free speech' excuse. However, whenever I use other terms that are not profane, even though they mean the SAME THING, like 'copulate' and 'turd', THEY tell ME to 'speak English' and say 'we're adults now, you're supposed to say 'f--k' and 's--t',' pushing me to say things I don't WANT to! That, to me, seems like some kind of myopia.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2020, 2:27 pm

Some love to swear.

They are not articulate

Some hate hearing profanity.

They are not adaptable.

Making certain words tabboo, by definition, raises their retail value

Reverse psychology

:mrgreen:

Ihavestandardsjust
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

Location: A place that makes Westminster during Rush Hour seem Pleasant.

07 Apr 2020, 2:19 pm

darn sheet burger beach moovertrucker cant. I think i'll be banned.

Velorum
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2020, 3:51 pm

It doesnt really bother me and if I'm honest I find it quite amusing at times.

Probably because my family never swore heavily when I was a small child and then when I went to school I found it oddly interesting. I was in big trouble when I came home from primary school once and in all innocence said the 'f' word.

I swear sometimes and find it quite cathartic.

Non-binary member of the LGBTQ+ community

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2020, 8:30 pm

No, I can't agree. Profanity doesn't usually faze me. I don't feel any compulsion to avoid using profanity and won't tolerate others attempts to criticize my choice of vocabulary, if one doesn't like how I speak they're under no obligation to interact with me. Further, it's often more straightforward, concise and readily understood to phrase something in the profane way everyone else would vs. awkwardly explaining around the curse word.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

paper.alien
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Apr 2020, 11:04 am

funeralxempire wrote:
No, I can't agree. Profanity doesn't usually faze me. I don't feel any compulsion to avoid using profanity and won't tolerate others attempts to criticize my choice of vocabulary, if one doesn't like how I speak they're under no obligation to interact with me. Further, it's often more straightforward, concise and readily understood to phrase something in the profane way everyone else would vs. awkwardly explaining around the curse word.

I agree with this comment.