Does stress really cause premature aging?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

MSBKyle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Mar 2020, 12:33 pm

I've been through plenty of stress throughout my life between school, work, anxiety, and depression. They say that stress causes you to age faster. With all of the stress that I have been through throughout my life, I don't show any signs of premature aging. I have no grey hairs or wrinkles. Is it true that lots of stress causes aging or is it just a myth?

pokeystinker
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Apr 2020, 3:58 am

I wonder about this as well.

Just a guess. It's probably a genetic thing as well, so i.e. if a lot of people in your family had premature white hair, so will you. Add the stress and then you might break the record in your family. Heh.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2020, 11:09 pm

26 Is still quite young, even if the OP doesn't think so. I'm 46 and just starting to go grey. Although I think I should be looking like a severely wrinkled old hag by now if stress really does cause premature aging.

Maybe it can happen mostly on the inside. On the inside I feel like I'm 90. :(

I love belko61
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2020, 11:45 pm

I'm almost 55 and only have a few white hairs. Also look (and act) younger than I am. With me I think it's the lack of expression most of my life - so few wrinkles. Was also extremely stressed most of my life. You can't see it on the outside but my organs paid the price - high blood pressure, chronic kidney and heart diseases - and I don't even smoke or drink!

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

14 Apr 2020, 3:50 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
26 Is still quite young, even if the OP doesn't think so. I'm 46 and just starting to go grey. Although I think I should be looking like a severely wrinkled old hag by now if stress really does cause premature aging.

Maybe it can happen mostly on the inside. On the inside I feel like I'm 90. :(
Your lucky. I started losing my head hair in my mid 20s but a work buddy of mine started losing hair in his mid 20s too. I started noticing a little grey hair when I hit 30. I've been doing things to try & save my hair for falling out & from turning grey. I'm 37 now & I lost a bit of hair but still have a lot & only a little has turned grey. My work friend started shaving his head 1ce he started losing his hair so I don't know if his would of been grey by now. I do feel much older than I am sometimes but I think that's cuz of being majorly out of shape. I need to start exercising & stop my binge-eating. Perhaps stress indirectly causes aging for lots of people. People develop bad/unhealthy habits due to stress.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2020, 9:58 am

You bet yer sweet bippy! I was barely out of grad school, working my first job. By the time I left the company 5 years later, I was completely white. I’m still surprised, at age 62 1/2, that I’m not a chrome dome.