Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 10:41 am

KestrylR wrote:
Karamazov wrote:

Works even better if you replace “neurotypical” with “normal”. :lol:

They don't seem to like being called "ordinary", either...

And if you really want to make the argument get totally out of proportion “you’re rendered mediocre by your inability to process all the details before arriving at a conclusion” always goes down a treat :twisted:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 10:51 am

KestrylR wrote:
Karamazov wrote:

"Normal" doesn't work. Everyone (NT or AS) WANTS to be "normal".

But NO one wants to be "typical", and "ordinary" is even worse! :lol:

Kinda like how everyone is delighted if you remember their birthday, but no one over 25 wants you to talk abut how old they are. :lol:

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 11:20 am

naturalplastic wrote:
KestrylR wrote:
Karamazov wrote:

Kinda like how everyone is delighted if you remember their birthday, but no one over 25 wants you to talk abut how old they are. :lol:

Must be a national culture thing: in the UK calling someone “normal” is usually taken as an insult, folks like to think they stand out from the crowd in a subtle & positive way.

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 11:32 am

Hehehe. I got a really good one!!

When someone makes the veiled derisive comment of "I've never met anyone like you before", reply with:
"Well, that makes two of us."

When they ask, somewhat puzzled, "are you calling me weird/strange/etc??"

Reply with a crazed look: "No, I mean I'm two different people!! !"
:D :P :lol:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 11:36 am

Karamazov wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
KestrylR wrote:
Karamazov wrote:

Must be a national culture thing: in the UK calling someone “normal” is usually taken as an insult, folks like to think they stand out from the crowd in a subtle & positive way.

Americans like to stand out, but dont want to be "abnormal". Even our POTUS boasts that he is "normal" (which is NOT a normal thing for an elected official to say out loud, but whatever). So "dont worry, you're normal" is an ok thing to say here in the states. Though I do suspect that Americans are a bit more conformist than Brits. Saying your "ordinary" over here would be taken as a put down. "Typical" would be somewhere in between.

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 11:38 am

Jayo wrote:
Hehehe. I got a really good one!!

When someone makes the veiled derisive comment of "I've never met anyone like you before", reply with:
"Well, that makes two of us."

When they ask, somewhat puzzled, "are you calling me weird/strange/etc??"

Reply with a crazed look: "No, I mean I'm two different people!! !"
:D :P :lol:

Then continue: “but now you mention it... “

And never finish the sentence. :lol:

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 11:44 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Karamazov wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
KestrylR wrote:
Karamazov wrote:

Americans like to stand out, but dont want to be "abnormal". Even our POTUS boasts that he is "normal" (which is NOT a normal thing for an elected official to say out loud, but whatever). So "dont worry, you're normal" is an ok thing to say here in the states. Though I do suspect that Americans are a bit more conformist than Brits. Saying your "ordinary" over here would be taken as a put down. "Typical" would be somewhere in between.

Maybe we are less conformist, not sure though :scratch:
We do have books dedicated to celebrating “The Great British Eccentric” though :lol:
Hmm... you could be into something...

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 1:43 pm

Another way to annoy an NT who's being negative in some way with you: if you find yourself being called on "not being all there" or "what is the matter with you", or "why is this [obvious expectation] complicated for you to understand"? etc. etc..

Then reply with: "Well, I'm allegedly partially autistic."

And they'll reply back with "what do you mean, allegedly??"

And you reply, "Well, apparently it's a serious offence to have any form of autism - that's why I have to say allegedly. I can't confirm or deny whether I was diagnosed with autism in some form."

You should get a speechless reaction out of your target on that one :)

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 3:32 pm

^ I must remember that one :lol:

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 4:02 pm

Talk about your special interests. If they try to talk about theirs, change the subject quickly back to your own.

If they get up and leave the room, get up and follow them while still talking about your interests.

Don't make eye contact at all, or be the other extreme and stare at them blankly.

Don't smile.

Say no clearly and plainly if they tell you to do something only they want you to do.

Refuse to lie or be dishonest.

Cover your ears when they talk too loudly, or when they talk at all.

Stim.

Get annoyed with *them* when they make sudden last-minute changes to plans or schedules.

If you are verbal, speak using only dialogue you know off by heart from movies, tv shows, or books.

If you are out together shopping, wander off the first chance you get and head directly to the part of the store that reflects your special interests, e.g. toys, video games, crafts and hobbies, or anything that you know they have no interest in.

In other words, just be yourself. Because when NTs tell you to it's okay for you to be yourself they are being the great grandparents of all liars. :twisted:

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 5:57 pm

Fnord wrote:
8. Comment upon the literal meaning of what they say, even though it seems that they may be speaking metaphorically.

HE: "We should grab the bull by the horns."
ME: "Where is the bull whose horns you want me to grab?"
HE: "I meant that we should all pull together."
ME: "Pull what together?"
HE: "Go fly an effing kite, Fnord!"
ME: "In this weather? Besides, I didn't know that kites could 'eff'.""

Yeah, I think that would clear any room of people NT or ND if the person was doing it on purpose. If someone did that to me, male or female, I'd counter with: "Is everything ok, Amelia?" (ie Amelia Bedilia).

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 8:00 pm

If some stranger lets their obnoxious toddler in your personal space, tut and sigh to yourself. The parent always takes it way too personally and glares at you for showing a dislike to their kiddie's presence.

Moan about things they're not moaning about.

Worry about things they're not worrying about.

Laugh at things that are "out of place", like an object that's placed randomly somewhere, or a tile that's a different colour to the rest of the tiles. Most NTs will just look at it with a straight face and forget about it.

Get upset when they are intending to kill a bug, even if it's a pest. A lot of NTs don't have much empathy for most bugs and wouldn't feel guilty about squishing them.

Don't smile. You'll soon be told to smile or cheer up or something like that.

Switch subtitles on the TV. Most NTs that aren't hard of hearing hate having subtitles.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 8:49 pm

Pretty much all I have to do is do whatever feels natural or instinctive to me.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2020, 11:02 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
hurtloam wrote:
Jayo wrote:
Fnord wrote:
[color=black]8. Comment upon the literal meaning of what they say, even though it seems that they may be speaking metaphorically.

HE: "We should grab the bull by the horns."
ME: "Where is the bull whose horns you want me to grab?"
HE: "I meant that we should all pull together."
ME: "Pull what together?"
HE: "Go fly an effing kite, Fnord!"
ME: "In this weather? Besides, I didn't know that kites could 'eff'.""[

Ha-ha-ha!! The regrettable truth, however, is that people who act in this more controlled/intentional passive-aggressive insidiously abusive manner, are considered more "normal" than those of us folks who are genuinely "emotionally dyslexic". 8O

The HE in this conversation wasn't being passive-agressive they were just using commonly understood idioms that some aspies find difficult to grasp.

Exactly. I don't see how the "he" person is being "passive aggressive" either. If anything the Me character is being perverse and passive aggressive.

:wink:

where ever you go ,there you are

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2020, 3:13 am

I annoy people enough just by being myself. I don't feel the need to make any special effort.

FletcherArrow
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Mar 2020, 10:59 am

Jayo wrote:
WARNING: only use these if you have little to lose in the situation, i.e. you're not dependent on the other person for something, you just gave your two weeks notice, or, say, there are video cameras around and it's in a public place so there's minimal threat of assault...etc.

Yes, these may sound passive-aggressive and evoke the old expression "cutting one's nose of to spite one's face", but you have to admit...they are pretty funny and we can identify with all of them :P

1. After someone asks what is likely a rhetorical question, ask "Umm...is that rhetorical? I can't tell."

2. If someone asks if you're ignorant / not all there / have some sort of problem, respond: "no, I just have high standards for things making sense. I don't consider that to be a problem."

3. If you ask someone to clarify something and they still have a nuanced kind of reply to save face or comfort level or what have you, respond "I'm sorry, I don't 'speak Japanese'" (deliberately insert the "air quote" with fingers)

4. In a similar vein to the above, if you have a situation where someone finally "explodes" or lets out with the unvarnished meaning of some situation or why they were doing what they were, then respond with "OK, well we're not in Japan, why didn't you just say [insert direct no-BS meaning] when it was in your best interests to do so?"

5. When someone displays non-verbal signs of being disgruntled / upset / pissed and you've recently interacted with them, say "I noticed lately you seem upset, but...I'm not sure why."

6. If you're ever in a situation where someone reacts with a negative facial expression, study it in a bewildered way as if you're not sure why (do this with a 3rd person present), and when the 3rd person speaks up and says "he/she is reacting that way because [insert the unintended trigger on your part]", then respond with astonishment: "Oh! So THAT'S what that expression meant!! I was wondering what that meant, because I've gotten that reaction before and couldn't figure it out!!" [Again, only use this if you've already alienated those people in some way and you harbour negative feelings towards them ...they're sure to distance themselves from you as if you have the plague or you're a leper, as you'll be seen as irredeemably mentally ill.]

7. Go on random rants to the effect of "You know, the problem with society is that people don't know how to assert themselves - I don't know if it's part of their upbringing, but...most people seem really hesitant, for some weird reason, to clearly express what's bothering them when it's in their best interests to do so. Society would be a lot better off if people would learn more assertive communication." Some flippant individual might retort "no, society would be a lot better off without people like YOU", but you could always parry that with "that doesn't qualify as assertive communication, that's just plain hostile - any reasonable person would agree."

The corollary of all this is when you ask a separate party for advice on a conflict situation involving a perceived bully and the separate party says something dismissive like "well it takes two to tango" or "it's six of one, and half a dozen of the other" - what they seldom have insight into is that in your case, it's more unintentionally upsetting someone (i.e. lack of emotional intelligence), and in their case, it's intentionally upsetting you (i.e. lack of emotional maturity). Either way, nobody wins, no progress is made...which is where the above lines are strictly to be used in a "nothing left to lose" situation where you just wanna get some satisfaction :P

Brilliant! I like #5 the best......

Here, try this one when someone says something you just can't understand: "Oh! You are an NT! That's why you said that!"

Or, with an air of disgust say: "Hurumpf! Neurotypicals!"