Page 11 of 12 [ 180 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2020, 4:10 am

A doctor and TV news contributor hospitalised with severe coronavirus believes he contracted the virus “through his eyes” while on a recent flight in the US.

Epidemiologist and virologist Dr Joseph Fair became sick three days after catching a crowded flight to his home in New Orleans. Dr Fair told NBC News he took precautions on the flight, including wearing a mask and gloves and using sanitisers but began to feel ill three days later.

“I had a mask on, I had gloves on, I did my normal wipes routine … but obviously, you can still get it through your eyes,” he said, adding he wasn’t wearing goggles on the flight.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/healt ... 1c3ae343c0
So much for the mask :roll:

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2020, 6:04 am

"He said the flight was crowded and passengers were “packed in like sardines”. He felt instinctively like he should have left the flight before it departed, but didn’t."

Think of protecting yourself from rain. A waterproof coat will help, but not from hours of drenching rain that floods the area you are standing! The rain will sneakily rise up under your coat! An enclosed area like a restaurant, airplane, or church can easily spread the virus.

There is also the issue that people feel they have no choice.
They need to get on that airplane. Or they need to work.
So they convince themselves that they aren't really infected, and infect others.

Last edited by BTDT on 15 May 2020, 6:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

15 May 2020, 6:11 am

How many times does it need to be repeated:
A simple face mask does not protect the wearer, it protects others from what the wearer might be spreading.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2020, 11:07 pm

I have also repeatedly said that people shouldn't rely on facemasks as protection for themselves.

Quite clearly if a doctor who is a virologist made this silly blunder that a facemask alone would protect him on a plane then how many millions more think they will be protected in crowds with a piece of cloth over their mouth?

Social distancing and avoiding crowds works. If people have to catch planes or public transport for work then they need to take proper precautions against this virus.

beady
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2020, 11:29 pm

A face mask is not an ebola hazmat suit.
That said, any barrier between your mucous membranes and the virus filled aerosol floating around you is going to help. The more effectively you can prevent exposure to your receptive cells the better. To take no precautions is like driving a motorcycle without a helmet. Sure, you might be ok, unless your head meets up with some pavement. Thus far something like 5% of the population has been exposed. That means 95% has yet to be exposed. You go ahead and be the non mask control group, I’m opting for the other one.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2020, 11:34 pm

beady wrote:
You go ahead and be the non mask control group, I’m opting for the other one.

In Australia and New Zealand 95% of the population are already in the "mask control group". We have the one of the lowest death rates from the virus in the world because we practice social distancing.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2020, 8:49 am

My mom is a retired nurse so infection control is something I know quite a bit about. I like making masks to wear because I can use different fabric designs for them :P

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2020, 6:03 pm

green0star wrote:
My mom is a retired nurse so infection control is something I know quite a bit about. I like making masks to wear because I can use different fabric designs for them :P

Oh cool!! I think nurses are the best people alive overall.

I don't know how to sew but people are making money by selling the patterned fabric masks on etsy.

The noise of the machine itself makes me lose my focus .. Ive had full out meltdowns from it. I always sucked at sewing despite lessons. If you can do it that is very lucky!!

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2020, 6:05 pm

cyberdad wrote:
A doctor and TV news contributor hospitalised with severe coronavirus believes he contracted the virus “through his eyes” while on a recent flight in the US.

Epidemiologist and virologist Dr Joseph Fair became sick three days after catching a crowded flight to his home in New Orleans. Dr Fair told NBC News he took precautions on the flight, including wearing a mask and gloves and using sanitisers but began to feel ill three days later.

“I had a mask on, I had gloves on, I did my normal wipes routine … but obviously, you can still get it through your eyes,” he said, adding he wasn’t wearing goggles on the flight.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/healt ... 1c3ae343c0
So much for the mask :roll:

Yeah my sister gave me face visors to wear along with masks. She does the same. She sent me a pic .. It looked funny as she wears glasses and hijab too.. Like way too many pieces of paraphernalia around her head :jester:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2020, 7:00 pm

Trump has the right idea :lol:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2020, 11:21 pm

Fauci: why the public wasn't told to wear masks when the coronavirus pandemic began

Quote:
Medical masks and cloth face coverings are now a common sight when venturing out in public amidst the coronavirus pandemic; most states require them as part of reopening plans, and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) advocates their use.

This wasn’t always the case. When the coronavirus pandemic hit stateside, face masks were strictly recommended as personal protective equipment (PPE) for health care professionals. According to Anthony Fauci, the nation’s leading infectious disease expert and a key member of the White House coronavirus task force, masks weren’t advised to the public from the start because of the anticipated PPE shortages.

Speaking on TheStreet, Fauci discusses how effective face masks are at preventing COVID-19 infection and why they weren’t recommended from the start.

"Masks are not 100 percent protective. However, they certainly are better than not wearing a mask. Both to prevent you, if you happen to be a person who maybe feels well, but has an asymptomatic infection that you don't even know about, to prevent you from infecting someone else," Fauci said.

"But also, it can protect you a certain degree, not a hundred percent, in protecting you from getting infected from someone who, either is breathing, or coughing, or sneezing, or singing or whatever it is in which the droplets or the aerosols go out. So masks work,” Fauci added.

“The important thing is actually physical separation,” Fauci said, adding that the combination of social distancing and face masks is the best way for the public to mitigate the spread and reduce transmission while maintaining some normalcy by venturing in public.

He also acknowledged that masks were initially not recommended to the general public so that first responders wouldn’t feel the strain of a shortage of PPE.

He explained that public health experts "were concerned the public health community, and many people were saying this, were concerned that it was at a time when personal protective equipment, including the N95 masks and the surgical masks, were in very short supply.”

By early April, the Strategic National Stockpile had been depleted, and around the same time President Trump invoked the Defense Production Act to have manufacturing chains across the U.S. focus on making vital medical equipment such as ventilators and masks.

Fauci continued to say that they wanted to give as many masks as possible to front line workers and emergency personnel.

“We wanted to make sure that the people, namely the health care workers, who were brave enough to put themselves in a harm way, to take care of people who you know were infected with the coronavirus and the danger of them getting infected,” Fauci concluded.

As for how long Americans will need to wear masks — or at least be advised to wear them — that may depend on new case numbers.

Speaking with Olga Khaza at The Atlantic, Trish Greenhalgh, a primary-care professor at the University of Oxford, said that the public will likely be wearing masks until “there are no new cases, or very few cases.”

Considering many states are seeing upticks in cases upon reopening after economic lockdowns, resulting in the U.S. surpassing 2 million total cases, the country appears to still have a ways to go.

Bolding=mime

As we suspected

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2020, 1:25 am

Masks are freely available now but since out restrictions are being phased out nobody is buying or stockpiling.

A historic relic.

I have not seen a mask wearing individual for 2 weeks now.

beady
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2021, 11:19 pm

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2021, 11:42 pm

Where I live, California, America, no store will let you in without a mask. Supermarket carts and baskets are being sanitized constantly, and the 6 feet markers on the floors are enforced.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2021, 12:45 am

No problems - happy for the mods to delete this thread