Page 1 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 53
Gender: Male
Posts: 17,530

28 Mar 2020, 3:44 am

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/healt ... 105eb37699

When the Sars crisis was linked to a wet market in southern China, officials shut it down and made wildlife farming illegal. But they reversed the decision just a few months later.

As of 2018 it was a GBP150 billion industry, mainly because the rich and the powerful pay copious quantities of money to eat rare wildlife as they believe false claims about their role in Chinese medicine.

Now with coronavirus spreading, the government has again temporarily banned wildlife trading and shut down wet markets.

But it’s not permanent yet — and it must be.

We already know that the early Chinese cover-up of COVID-19, which makes Chernobyl look like a misdemeanour, resulted in the disease’s rapid spread.

In fact, if China had taken early action experts reckon the number of coronavirus cases could have been cut by 95 per cent, making its rampage all over the globe far less likely.

The new illness was directly linked to the infamous wildlife market in Wuhan on December 16, but it wasn’t until New Year’s Eve that the World Health Organisation was informed and the site closed.
The brave Chinese doctors who tried to spread the word about COVID-19 were shut down by the authorities too, and early testing was stopped and samples destroyed.

I have no doubt the Chinese government has blood on its hands over coronavirus.
And saying that now, at the peak of the health crisis, is not the time to tackle the issue is wrong.
We must have this uncomfortable discussion while our anger is raw and the pain all too real.



Velorum
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Mar 2020
Age: 61
Gender: Male
Posts: 897
Location: Cornwall

28 Mar 2020, 3:59 am

I agree that this needs following up when things have reached a point of relative stability. If it is the case that the Chinese food industry that supplies exotic and wild animal produce to a tiny elite in that country is the main cause of the problem then there should be international pressure for permanent change. The next outbreak may be far more lethal than this one.


_________________
ASD/AS ICD-10 F84.5


vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 7 Dec 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,110
Location: Left WP forever

28 Mar 2020, 7:34 am

The theory is that the Chinese Krait(a deadly elapid snake) were eating bats and the bats had the novel corona virus.The Kraits(which are the deadliest snake not living in Australia)were sold at fish markets in Wuhan.

That was patient zero. :skull:


_________________
Forever gone
Sorry I ever joined


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 72,283
Location: Queens, NYC

28 Mar 2020, 7:45 am

So they don’t think it was bat-pangolin-human any longer?

A recent study (published 3/26/2020) implicated pangolins. And I’ve read about this link previously.

“Missing link in coronavirus jump from bats to humans could be pangolins, not snakes.”



vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 7 Dec 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,110
Location: Left WP forever

28 Mar 2020, 11:16 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
So they don’t think it was bat-pangolin-human any longer?

A recent study (published 3/26/2020) implicated pangolins. And I’ve read about this link previously.

“Missing link in coronavirus jump from bats to humans could be pangolins, not snakes.”
Nothing is known for sure,it could be pangolins

However the Wuhan fish market would imply Kraits, pangolins are used in eastern medicine but I don't think are eaten.


_________________
Forever gone
Sorry I ever joined


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 72,283
Location: Queens, NYC

28 Mar 2020, 11:18 am

It is said that these viruses can only live in mammals and birds.



vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 7 Dec 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,110
Location: Left WP forever

28 Mar 2020, 11:23 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
It is said that these viruses are only found in mammals and birds.

You could very well be right but Kraits eat bats and bats are mammals.

It is theory right we don't know for sure.

A person I know thinks there is a secret lab in Wuhan and CV was a bio weapon that accidentally got loose.

Who really knows


_________________
Forever gone
Sorry I ever joined


Raised By Wolves
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: 27 Jan 2015
Age: 58
Gender: Male
Posts: 121
Location: UK

28 Mar 2020, 11:31 am

vermontsavant wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
It is said that these viruses are only found in mammals and birds.

You could very well be right but Kraits eat bats and bats are mammals.

It is theory right we don't know for sure.

A person I know thinks there is a secret lab in Wuhan and CV was a bio weapon that accidentally got loose.

Who really knows


did it not just come straight from the bats? I thought that's what people were eating

and there is such a lab in Wuhan, it's not a secret, it's the only lab in China licensed to deal with coronavirus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuhan_Ins ... f_Virology



Last edited by Raised By Wolves on 28 Mar 2020, 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,828
Location: Twin Peaks

28 Mar 2020, 11:33 am

If the bio-weapon was designed to put a bazillion people out of work, it succeeded.



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 72,283
Location: Queens, NYC

28 Mar 2020, 11:50 am

I’m aware it’s a theory. I presented it as a theory, not a fact.



vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 7 Dec 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,110
Location: Left WP forever

28 Mar 2020, 12:13 pm

Raised By Wolves wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
It is said that these viruses are only found in mammals and birds.

You could very well be right but Kraits eat bats and bats are mammals.

It is theory right we don't know for sure.

A person I know thinks there is a secret lab in Wuhan and CV was a bio weapon that accidentally got loose.

Who really knows


did it not just come straight from the bats? I thought that's what people were eating

and there is such a lab in Wuhan, it's not a secret, it's the only lab in China licensed to deal with coronavirus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuhan_Ins ... f_Virology
Ah,maybe a virus did escape from a lab.

It's not likely it would come straight from bats because bats don't contact people often,the theory is that Kraits(a deadly elapid snake) eat bats in caves and people eat Kraits from Wuhan fish market.Snakes don't taste bad they taste like chicken mostly,in the southern US rattlesnake is popular.


_________________
Forever gone
Sorry I ever joined


Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 12 Aug 2019
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,571

28 Mar 2020, 12:23 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
Raised By Wolves wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
It is said that these viruses are only found in mammals and birds.

You could very well be right but Kraits eat bats and bats are mammals.

It is theory right we don't know for sure.

A person I know thinks there is a secret lab in Wuhan and CV was a bio weapon that accidentally got loose.

Who really knows


did it not just come straight from the bats? I thought that's what people were eating

and there is such a lab in Wuhan, it's not a secret, it's the only lab in China licensed to deal with coronavirus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuhan_Ins ... f_Virology
Ah,maybe a virus did escape from a lab.

It's not likely it would come straight from bats because bats don't contact people often,the theory is that Kraits(a deadly elapid snake) eat bats in caves and people eat Kraits from Wuhan fish market.Snakes don't taste bad they taste like chicken mostly,in the southern US rattlesnake is popular.


At least rattle snakes are raised in farms to eliminate diseases and such.



vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 7 Dec 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,110
Location: Left WP forever

28 Mar 2020, 12:56 pm

Bravo5150 wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
Raised By Wolves wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
It is said that these viruses are only found in mammals and birds.

You could very well be right but Kraits eat bats and bats are mammals.

It is theory right we don't know for sure.

A person I know thinks there is a secret lab in Wuhan and CV was a bio weapon that accidentally got loose.

Who really knows


did it not just come straight from the bats? I thought that's what people were eating

and there is such a lab in Wuhan, it's not a secret, it's the only lab in China licensed to deal with coronavirus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuhan_Ins ... f_Virology
Ah,maybe a virus did escape from a lab.

It's not likely it would come straight from bats because bats don't contact people often,the theory is that Kraits(a deadly elapid snake) eat bats in caves and people eat Kraits from Wuhan fish market.Snakes don't taste bad they taste like chicken mostly,in the southern US rattlesnake is popular.


At least rattle snakes are raised in farms to eliminate diseases and such.
I thought they were gathered from the wild in round up's.


_________________
Forever gone
Sorry I ever joined


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 72,283
Location: Queens, NYC

28 Mar 2020, 1:01 pm

Ultimately, it was found to be inconclusive whether pangolins are the intermediate hosts.

Their virus had only a 90.3% correspondence with the human virus as far as RNA is concerned.



Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2004
Age: 41
Gender: Male
Posts: 42,312
Location: Houston, Texas

28 Mar 2020, 1:48 pm

I have noticed people being called racist or imperialist if they criticize any actions on China's part.

Apparently, Xi Jinping = all Chinese people.


_________________
Who’s better at math than a robot? They’re made of math!


Last edited by Tim_Tex on 28 Mar 2020, 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 72,283
Location: Queens, NYC

28 Mar 2020, 1:50 pm

China originally sought to cover up the whole thing.