Page 2 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2020, 2:02 pm

Frankly eating, snakes, bats or any kind of rodents, is a very bad idea. (And snake’s diet isn’t so safe for us either).

These animals are carriers of viruses, some cultural things need to change.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2020, 2:12 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
Bravo5150 wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
Raised By Wolves wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
It is said that these viruses are only found in mammals and birds.

You could very well be right but Kraits eat bats and bats are mammals.

It is theory right we don't know for sure.

A person I know thinks there is a secret lab in Wuhan and CV was a bio weapon that accidentally got loose.

Who really knows

did it not just come straight from the bats? I thought that's what people were eating

and there is such a lab in Wuhan, it's not a secret, it's the only lab in China licensed to deal with coronavirus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuhan_Ins ... f_Virology
Ah,maybe a virus did escape from a lab.

It's not likely it would come straight from bats because bats don't contact people often,the theory is that Kraits(a deadly elapid snake) eat bats in caves and people eat Kraits from Wuhan fish market.Snakes don't taste bad they taste like chicken mostly,in the southern US rattlesnake is popular.

At least rattle snakes are raised in farms to eliminate diseases and such.
I thought they were gathered from the wild in round up's.

I would guess farmed at least in some case, I am familiar with an annual event in a small town called opp, Al. Once a year, usually, there is a kind of large event called a rattle snake rodeo. It usually has about a hundred or so people who vend different snake products ranging from clothing to food to handling. Toe this type of event would make sense to have some domesticated farming of snakes. They even do milking of the venom during the handling then use the venom to make pharmaceuticals.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2020, 2:21 pm

Bravo5150 wrote:

I would guess farmed at least in some case, I am familiar with an annual event in a small town called opp, Al. Once a year, usually, there is a kind of large event called a rattle snake rodeo. It usually has about a hundred or so people who vend different snake products ranging from clothing to food to handling. Toe this type of event would make sense to have some domesticated farming of snakes. They even do milking of the venom during the handling then use the venom to make pharmaceuticals.

It takes a lot of snakes and snake venom to make a little bit of anti-venom,thats why Cro-fab goes for 3 grand a vile and Ani-vip about $1,500 a vile but Ani-vip doesn't work on as many different snakes so it's cheaper.In America a snake bit costs on average $45,000 and insurance doesn't cover it.But it does work and only 1 in 1,000 people bitten by venomous snakes in the US actually dies.

As opposed to Africa where 1 in 100 people bitten by venomous snakes dies,because no one can afford anti-venom.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2020, 2:24 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Frankly eating, snakes, bats or any kind of rodents, is a very bad idea. (And snake’s diet isn’t so safe for us either).

These animals are carriers of viruses, some cultural things need to change.
Rodents and snakes are safe to eat if cooked properly.People eat rats in India,they put them into a fire and BBQ them.

Cobra's,Kraits and other snakes are eaten in southeast Asia,if cooked right,it's perfectly safe.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2020, 2:27 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
Bravo5150 wrote:

It takes a lot of snakes and snake venom to make a little bit of anti-venom,thats why Cro-fab goes for 3 grand a vile and Ani-vip about $1,500 a vile but Ani-vip doesn't work on as many different snakes so it's cheaper.In America a snake bit costs on average $45,000 and insurance doesn't cover it.But it does work and only 1 in 1,000 people bitten by venomous snakes in the US actually dies.

As opposed to Africa where 1 in 100 people bitten by venomous snakes dies,because no one can afford anti-venom.

Like I said, it is a pretty big event usually. I just googled it, coincidentally it is supposed to be happening today if anyone wants to show up with the covid-19 situation. You can look at their website.

http://www.rattlesnakerodeo.com/

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2020, 2:30 pm

Bravo5150 wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
Bravo5150 wrote:

Like I said, it is a pretty big event usually. I just googled it, coincidentally it is supposed to be happening today if anyone wants to show up with the covid-19 situation. You can look at their website.

If I could drive there in one day I would go. :lol:

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2020, 2:38 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
Bravo5150 wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
Bravo5150 wrote:

If I could drive there in one day I would go. :lol:

The way things are right now, I wouldn't suggest making a last minute trip. I am uncertain about Alabama, but in Florida, the governor is adding more and more people to the mandatory quarantine list for people coming from out of state whether by flight or drive. If the whole covid-19 situation is still going on, you might have to arrive down here around Valentine's day next year to attend a middle or late March event.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2020, 2:52 pm

Bravo5150 wrote:

The way things are right now, I wouldn't suggest making a last minute trip. I am uncertain about Alabama, but in Florida, the governor is adding more and more people to the mandatory quarantine list for people coming from out of state whether by flight or drive. If the whole covid-19 situation is still going on, you might have to arrive down here around Valentine's day next year to attend a middle or late March event.
Rattlesnake round up a bad idea right now.

But I am watching a lot of youtube video's on individuals doing fieldherping and looking for snakes right now,watched 3 snake video's today,got 1,000 snake video's on my youtube play list,love snakes.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2020, 3:48 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
Bravo5150 wrote:

But I am watching a lot of youtube video's on individuals doing fieldherping and looking for snakes right now,watched 3 snake video's today,got 1,000 snake video's on my youtube play list,love snakes.

Speaking of snakes, I just got an idea of how to make a type of safe to secure your toilet paper. Just gut a 20 foot python, then sew a zipper on his belly and you will have something to scare people away from your toilet paper stashed inside.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2020, 3:56 pm

Bravo5150 wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
Bravo5150 wrote:

Speaking of snakes, I just got an idea of how to make a type of safe to secure your toilet paper. Just gut a 20 foot python, then sew a zipper on his belly and you will have something to scare people away from your toilet paper stashed inside.
There's an artist in my area who has a piece of artwork made from all toilet paper,he's selling the rolls in it for $40 a piece,with proceeds going to CV research. :o

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2020, 3:57 pm

Let’s hope that’s actually happening......

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2020, 3:59 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
Cobra's,Kraits and other snakes are eaten in southeast Asia,if cooked right,it's perfectly safe.

I heard that you need to cut a few inches of the tail off as well as the head. I love snakes too, I usually approach them rather than back away, there's something mesmeric about their beauty.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2020, 4:43 pm

Vietnam has had a relatively low incidence of COVID19.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2020, 5:47 pm

I'm thinking economic sanctions on China till their wetmarkets are permanently closed.

I'm sure that far more preferable to Xi than criminal negligence tribunals in the Haague.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2020, 4:16 am

Thousands of people have started to flood back into Chinese wet markets, with bats, rabbits and dogs still on offer despite the coronavirus outbreak.
https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/healt ... 3e158ad0a1

Chinese government is not taking the problem seriously.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2020, 5:35 am

I'm thinking every affected country that has any debt to China can write that off as compensation. That should sting a bit.