Easier to Make Friends on the Spectrum

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Smitty101
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Apr 2020, 8:55 pm

Hi,
I haven't been part of as ASD or aspergers group. Is it easier to make friends with others like us or do the same problems come up as with NTs?

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2020, 9:15 pm

I only just started an adult autism group which had it's first meeting a few weeks before the virus became an issue. We all hit it off famously and there wasn't a single bit of jockeying for prominence in a group or in a conversation like there is with NTs. We all "clicked" right away. We respected each other and enjoyed each other's company since we had something in common that most people don't have.

It was great and I hope we're able to meet again.

Steve B
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Apr 2020, 6:48 am

I'd go for it if you have the opportunity. You will have a lot in common and so have a lot to talk about

rick42
Toucan
Toucan

06 Apr 2020, 10:03 am

Personally I find it only sightly easier to make friends with people on the Spectrum than with allistic folks.With that said tho,you may be able to find a common ground with someone in the Adult ASD Support Group since yall share the same disability.

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2020, 12:09 am

I think it possible you will find more people where there is the possibility of being friends or good acquaintences. Not everyone will be a friend possibility, just like the world as a whole. Having some common ground in the way we process the world is a hepful starting point - conversation styles may be more compatible - information rich rather than idle chit chat, equally we can be jsut as capable of winding each other up.

elmerwoggon
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Apr 2020, 12:29 am

I don't know myself :( .

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2020, 6:19 am

I have not had many close friends. I have noticed that the friends I get on with the best are the most likely to be on the autistic spectrum but don't know it. One friend from the past and who occasionally pays a visit either every year or every other year is on the autism spectrum but I don't think he knows it. His mother knows! She did not tell him as she did not want to hold him back. He is my age.

Now as I write I am assuming I may be on the spectrum. I probably am from what others have noticed, so I eagerly wait my assessment!

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2020, 7:47 am

I only have one friend on the spectrum but I would say that most of my friends are at the very least, neurodiverse and those who aren't, are often seen as weird/strange by other NTs. I think maybe because of how people on the spectrum are, it would be hard to gel well with the average NT. People who are not average are more understanding of differences in others and can comprehend them better, even if their own experience is limited.