Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2020, 1:29 am

Quote:
What Happened to Jordan Peterson?

So it was something of a surprise to learn, in early February, that Peterson had spent eight days in a medically induced coma at an unnamed clinic in Russia. Peterson’s daughter Mikhaila, a 28-year-old food blogger, posted a brief but dramatic video claiming that she and her father had traveled to Russia in early January seeking an unorthodox treatment for his physical dependence on the drug clonazepam. https://newrepublic.com/article/156829/ ... n-peterson

traven
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2020, 2:08 am

in russia

its xx that the blind spot (psychiatry & medication) took control

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2020, 9:14 am

I had to look up Mr. Paterson to find out why (or if) this news should matter to me.

He has criticized the Act to amend the Canadian Human Rights Act and the Criminal Code (Bill C-16), passed by the Parliament of Canada to introduce "gender identity and expression" as a prohibited grounds of discrimination.

So he is a drug addict, against gender equality, and a Canadian?

:?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2020, 11:09 am

https://torontoist.com/2016/12/are-jordan-petersons-claims-about-bill-c-16-correct/

Quote:
Could Bill C-16 trample free speech and criminalize freedom of expression?
So claims Jordan Peterson, the U of T professor who posted a video lecture online in September that criticized political correctness, and in which he discussed his belief that non-binary identities are invalid.

Peterson has said he would refuse to use gender-neutral pronouns if requested by a non-binary student.

Of the proposed federal Bill C-16, Peterson told the Toronto Sun: “These laws are the first laws that I’ve seen that require people under the threat of legal punishment to employ certain words, to speak a certain way, instead of merely limiting what they’re allowed to say.”

Peterson has also said he believes freedom of speech is under attack in Canada.

https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/gender-neutral-pronouns

Quote:
He/She -- Zie, Sie, Ey, Ve, Tey, E
Him/Her -- Zim, Sie, Em, Ver, Ter, Em
His/Her -- Zir, Hir, Eir, Vis, Tem, Eir
His/Hers -- Zis, Hirs, Eirs, Vers, Ters, Eirs
Himself/Herself -- Zieself, Hirself, Eirself, Verself, Terself, Emself

one party was being unreasonable right?

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2020, 11:18 am

Fnord wrote:
I had to look up Mr. Paterson to find out why (or if) this news should matter to me.

He has criticized the Act to amend the Canadian Human Rights Act and the Criminal Code (Bill C-16), passed by the Parliament of Canada to introduce "gender identity and expression" as a prohibited grounds of discrimination.

Don’t forget he’s also a Jungian! :D

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2020, 11:43 am

Fnord wrote:

I've only watched a few of his vids and not for quite some time so I don't know a lot about him, but the way I understood it his issue was against any law that would literally force him to use certain words or not under penalty of imprisonment. Commanding him to speak or not speak in a certain way under thread of imprisonment in a society that's supposed to honor free speech. That was the crux of his argument as I understood it.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2020, 12:00 pm

Fnord wrote:
So he is a drug addict

He almost lost his wife to cancer, and got addicted to the antidepressants while dealing with that. Hardly your average crackhead. As for gender equality; again, the issue was compelled speech.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2020, 12:04 pm

Yes, compelled speech. Granted the issue was related to gender or compelled acknowledgement of multiple genders, but his argument in the broader sense was refusing to be forced to speak in reference to any particular ideology.

In essence: "You can't force me to think A, B or C; and you can't force me to say A, B or C"

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2020, 1:12 pm

Okay ... so he's a victim of the Social Justice / Political Correctness Police ... and being distraught over his wife's cancer diagnosis is a reasonable cause for prescription addiction ... and maybe he's not really a bad person for being a Canadian ... but, c'mon; a Jungian psychotherapist?

I could get better advice from a bartender.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2020, 2:24 pm

Fnord wrote:
maybe he's not really a bad person for being a Canadian ... but, c'mon; a Jungian psychotherapist?

I would not have guessed in a million years :?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2020, 2:57 pm

Personally I won't mind if I never hear his name again. If he can't address people in a respectful manner he's probably not worth paying attention to.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2020, 5:00 pm

Yes, because the best and most genuine "respect" is the type that's compelled by force of law.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2020, 5:19 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
Yes, because the best and most genuine "respect" is the type that's compelled by force of law.

You sound like whether or not it's genuine is a concern. If he refuses you use the legal problems resulting as an excuse to can him, you hire someone who isn't going to make that their hill to die upon and life goes on. I don't care if his respect is genuine because it's merely an excuse to make him irrelevant again. He can show all the disrespect he likes once he's no longer relevant.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2020, 5:30 pm

It seems like the more an as*hole conservative type who preaches personal responsibility and family values the more likely they will do things that go against their own beliefs.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2020, 6:23 pm

Fnord wrote:

The story goes that he wasn't aware that the drug he was taking, to relieve his anxiety, was addictive.
Apparently, he doesn't have a psychological addiction,
It is a physical addiction.

While I don't have any reason to disbelieve what has been said,
I don't automatically accept everything that I hear, either.

Time will tell.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2020, 6:25 pm

Me, I thought Jordan Peterson was interesting for awhile, then I saw him engage in whataboutery with Western feminists here and was majorly turned off: