Kids constantly chatting when you were at school

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2020, 6:32 am

When I was at school I remember teachers spending more time telling kids to be quiet than actually teaching, and the only time they did manage to be quiet was during tests, story time, or if the teacher was teaching us something really interesting. Otherwise, generally, it was like the kids had a compulsive urge to chatter idly to each other during class. I was quite a chatty child but even I ran out of things to say and could manage to be quiet and listen to the teacher. What did kids always have to say to each other nearly every minute of the school day?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2020, 6:35 am

Gossip.

And teasing each other.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 11 Apr 2020, 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Velorum
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2020, 6:40 am

The constant noise and incessant chatter at school caused me real problems as regards learning.

At the time I really couldn't understand why everyone needed to talk so much, especially about things of no consequence or relevance.

I still feel like this in certain situations.

Non-binary member of the LGBTQ+ community

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2020, 8:11 am

Velorum wrote:
The constant noise and incessant chatter at school caused me real problems as regards learning.

At the time I really couldn't understand why everyone needed to talk so much, especially about things of no consequence or relevance.

I still feel like this in certain situations.

Agreed.
I used to love the strictest teachers who made you work without any socializin...
because I could actually feel peace knowing ppl wd adhere to the structure. Free periods were the worst times for me.
When a teacher tries hard to be liked, and 'go easy' and ppl chat a lot and it's about social things...etc that is the worst for me.
I can go into full blown panic attack..i used to leave classes and hide in the library or behind the building in areas with bushes and gravel where nobody wd usually come... till it subsided.

they thought i was skipping..i wasnt doing it for fun...

Being in a room full of quiet people is bad enough.

I thought I 'matured' and got over this ..

but when I tried to attend adult classes at a local college, I couldn't handle being around so many people...vibes/personalities/sounds/smells/worries about angering someone or being made fun of/worries about transitions...

I had meltdowns daily (not in front of them) until I quit.
So I guess it will never change..

CubsBullsBears
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2020, 9:30 am

Funny how the ones like ourselves, the ones who don't contribute to all that chatter, are the ones who struggle to have friends.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2020, 3:21 pm

CubsBullsBears wrote:
Funny how the ones like ourselves, the ones who don't contribute to all that chatter, are the ones who struggle to have friends.

I did chat to the other kids but I got fed up when the kids kept talking to each other when the teacher was trying to talk to the class, especially when the whole class was often punished just because some kids couldn't shut up.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2020, 3:46 pm

I never understood why other kids continued to talk even after they were asked not to multiple times. I remember at least one time where we were working on something and I had to tell the teacher that I couldn't think because other students were talking too much.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2020, 7:00 pm

I never said Anything to ask them to stop because I had selective mutism most of the day at any school I went to.

Having kids and using Welbutrin are the 2 things that transformed that..selective mutism is horrible. But as u see it affecting kids then over time u practice and. Read and do CBT and work at it till u become good at articulating

Therapy and lawyer (even though he was mean) also helped as u are forced tp talk over time to solve problems..

Cannot be quiet because ur family is urging u to go talk tp them.. Therapy also gives words that fit and improve if u had alexithymia
Better help with a lady called Kylie Carter is the best
.that lady is destined for heaven.

Practice makes perfect but tolerating noisy environments doesnt mean u can think and absorb things.. Thats not something for us to change its the teachers job to control the class and the students job to be respectful.

Thats why I like British system schooling like I got at Pakistani schools bcuz they are structured and stricter and you actually can learn

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2020, 4:49 pm

Joe90 wrote:
What did kids always have to say to each other nearly every minute of the school day?

NTs bond socially by chatting with each other, and social bonds are vitally important to lots of people.

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2020, 10:38 am

Daily battle between teacher and class, and that was 40 years ago.

Like others I actually likes the teachers who were strict but scrupulously fair. The ones who could keep order, really rpesent the subject well, and you knew that if you were stuck on someone you could knock at the staff room in luch time and they would generally spend a bit of time to help you get the idea.

They never "Demanded respect" but they earned it in quantity

lliam420
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Apr 2020, 6:39 pm

i was one of the chatty ones but it got on my nerves at times. college has been better when class is in session

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2020, 7:18 pm

Certain kids, it seems, were always allowed to chatter away in class, even when the teachers were talking.

But I would only have to gently clear my throat and those same teachers were all over me for distracting them and disrupting the class.

:evil: <-- Teacher: "Is there something you wanted to say, MISTER Fnord?"

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2020, 8:03 pm

Fnord wrote:
Certain kids, it seems, were always allowed to chatter away in class, even when the teachers were talking.

But I would only have to gently clear my throat and those same teachers were all over me for distracting them and disrupting the class.

:evil: <-- Teacher: "Is there something you wanted to say, MISTER Fnord?"

Man I know that .. Or just ignoring u even though u were the only one who had a relevant question and just chitchatting with the students, trying to be cool

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2020, 2:45 am

The worst was the school bus - felt like it was full of chattering monkeys. I'd get a headache from it and so I started riding my bike to school.

The worst class I ever attended was Small Business in Year 9. It was always pandemonium and one particular kid liked to make the teacher cry. I wanted to punch his lights out but he was twice my size and had friends. It was definitely a hard class to get through because not much got done. I wound up with a D for that class.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2020, 8:22 am

The same things adults at work talk about

More or less

Extroverts are like that

Way too enthusiastic

Not just "kids" or "school"

nadroJ
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2020, 12:01 pm

I had some difficulty processing heavy chatter in class due to that I was always determined to do well in school and college regarding educational subjects and found it difficult to concentrate with noise surrounding me. By the time I was in secondary school, I had to leave the class a lot too stim and time to breathe to reset my mental process of concentrating on educational subjects. Not all the blame is on the loud students however, my sensory sensitivities just happen(ed) to increase when I am under stress.

Everyone talking seemed to be okay for teachers the majority of the time, but when I tapped my foot or giggled to myself about something going on in my mind I would get a big shout from a teacher.

People did/do not like me because I am/was not not like them. I had the most difficult time relating to people talking about sex and parties in college. I came to the conclusion that they are possibly brainwashed by the drugs and their penis's.

Not all extroverts are bad. I met some band members who were extroverted but they had a good energy to them. There is extroverts with good energy that make others feel good and toxic extroverts that make others feel not good. Whichever: the energy spreads and it's vibration/frequency is set too usually favours the extroverts and the introverts may be the ones to absorb that energy more.

Then there is the introverted introverts: UK's queen, Elizabeth, for example: she seems very chill and reserved but she possibly has a hidden agenda but it is difficult to tell as she is an introverted introvert r̶o̶b̶o̶t̶.

Last edited by nadroJ on 28 Apr 2020, 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.