Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2020, 11:52 am

I don't have masks and can't find any in any store I go in (I don't shop online). So I just have to go out and breathe the contaminated air.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2020, 12:39 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I don't have masks and can't find any in any store I go in (I don't shop online). So I just have to go out and breathe the contaminated air.

I expect this to be a seasonal virus. I expect that the coronavirus infections will soon taper off during the spring and return again in the fall. I also expect that N95 masks will begin to return to stock in places like drug stores before the fall begins. So that would be a good time to stock up on a few.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2020, 2:31 pm

It seems masks don't prevent you from getting the virus, but if everyone wears one it can stop us passing on the virus.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2020, 4:46 pm

Actually some types of mask such as N95's or special ones that kill biological agents do stop viruses.

It is the surgical mask and homemade cloth mask that provide limited protection.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

14 Apr 2020, 6:38 pm

jimmy m wrote:
Actually some types of mask such as N95's or special ones that kill biological agents do stop viruses.

It is the surgical mask and homemade cloth mask that provide limited protection.
Good to know. My parents wore painters mask when they went out the other day. My dad works in construction so he probably had the masks on hand. It's better than nothing I guess. I'm sure they were very careful cuz my mom's going overboard taking precautions.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Callafiriel
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Apr 2020, 3:51 am

NewTime wrote:
To wear or not to wear? That is the question.

Remember, there are two kinds of mask: medical masks and mouth-nose-protection.

About medical masks: If you can get one, good for you. However, using them means that they are missing where they are needed (in hospitals) and you cannot use them for more than a few hours anyway and you have to observe a few rules putting them on and off because if you do it the wrong way they may cause more harm than good. In my opinion, and I'm basing that on WHO-recommendations, you shouldn't wear them. It's not worth it.

About mouth-nose-protection: Those "masks" will not protect the wearer! The material is not thin enough to protect you from the airborne virus. However, the material is thin enough to protect others from what comes out of your nose and mouth because those dropplets are a bit bigger when they come out of you and get thinner the further they travel.

So should you wear the protection anyway? Yes, because you're protecting others if you do.
It takes a few days until you feel symptoms if you have Covid-19 and a lot of people have Covid and do not know they have it because they are asymptomatic or have no symptoms at all. In both instances you can pass it on to others around you. Therefore, you should wear those "masks" to protect others.

Observe hygiene when you take the "mask" off, do not touch the outside and throw it away in a safe way that won't spread what might have landed on the outside of it.

If you use a home-made mask, do not wear it longer than for a few hours, do not touch its outside, immediately wash it at at least 60°C after wearing it and only wear it again once it's completely dry.

Also wash your hands and observe social distancing as well as keeping at least 1.5 meters from every other person that does not live with you.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2020, 6:08 am

jimmy m wrote:

Yes, he says that in the video, but advises to leave those for key workers as there are only so many in existence.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2020, 1:41 pm

A critical piece of personal protective equipment, the N95 respirator, can be safety cleaned and re-used, according to a study published Wednesday by scientists at the National Institutes of Health.

The respirators are designed for single-use, but according to the NIH study, they could potentially be used up to three times if they’re properly decontaminated in between uses.

The study has not been peer-reviewed, but was published on a pre-print server designed to expedite the release of research.

In a statement, NIH’s National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases said that a variety of cleaning methods – such as vaporized hydrogen peroxide, dry heat, ultraviolet light or ethanol spray – could successfully decontaminate the respirators.

Some of these methods caused problems with the fit and seal of the masks, but one technique – vaporized hydrogen peroxide – did not result in failures. Masks undergoing that treatment, then, could be re-used three times, NIH said.

The US Food and Drug Administration has now authorized three respirator decontamination systems for use during the coronavirus pandemic, all of which rely on hydrogen peroxide decontamination.

Source: N95 respirators can be decontaminated and re-used on a limited basis, according to NIH study

darkwaver
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Apr 2020, 7:37 pm

Yesterday in the grocery store everyone was wearing a mask. I've got a home-made cloth one, which may not do much good, but since I have asthma and seasonal allergies I get a chronic cough all spring and if I coughed in the store without a mask on they might tell me to leave.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2020, 9:29 am

New York, New Jersey and Maryland are requiring everyone to wear a mask or a substitute face covering to leave home. The federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has suddenly flipped from urging the public not to wear masks to recommending that they wear something that covers their nose and mouth.

New York’s Mayor Bill de Blasio’s new signature look is a western-style bandana pulled up over his mouth and nose. No doubt he’s well-intentioned. But that kind of face-covering is only a hair better than no covering at all. Science shows it’s a mere 2 percent to 3 percent effective. It’s misleading.

From day one of the coronavirus outbreak, the public has gotten the run around about masks. Government officials need to be honest about what works and what doesn’t. Here’s the scientific evidence:

N95 masks, which are molded and fit tight to the face, filter out 95 percent of viral particles, even the smallest ones. These masks offer the best protection, but they are in short supply, and public officials want them reserved for health care workers on the front lines.

Surgical masks, the kind you see commonly worn in hospitals and dentists’ offices, are flat and held to the face with elastic. They’re made from a nonwoven material, polypropylene, that is a somewhat effective filter. They protect the wearer from about 56 percent of viral droplets emitted by an infected person nearby, according to research in the British Medical Journal.

Not so woven cloth masks. They allow in 97 percent of viral particles. That means almost no protection for the wearer at all.

Wearing a homemade cotton mask is a false assurance, explains epidemiologist May Chu. She says it will block only about 2 percent of airflow. Similarly, a study in Disaster Medical and Public Health Preparedness concludes that a homemade mask should be considered “only as a last resort,” better than no protection at all but not a lot better.

Surgical masks seem available in stores now, and if you can buy a supply, using them is far preferable to making your own. Don’t reuse the mask and avoid touching the outside of the mask, because it’s likely contaminated after use.

If you have to resort to homemade barriers, keep in mind that the more layers of cloth, the better the protection. Four layers likely block out 13 percent of viral droplets, compared with the 2 percent blocked with a single layer, according to a study in Aerosol and Air Quality Research.

Why are public officials suddenly urging mask use, many weeks after the Coronavirus struck? Because of mounting research pointing to the huge role of asymptomatic people spreading the disease before they feel ill. Whenever these asymptomatic carriers talk or simply exhale, they spread very small droplets of virus-laden saliva and respiratory mucous in the air. Scientists call it bioaerosols.

Getting everyone to mask up helps to protect the uninfected, and keeps the unknowingly infected from spreading the virus. As New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said, announcing the mask mandate: “You don’t have a right to infect me.”

Makes sense, but Americans have had to put up with a lot of message confusion from the outset, and now they’re getting misleading advice about homemade masks.

What’s the root problem? Year after year after year, through three presidencies, federal health bureaucrats ignored warnings about inadequate supplies of masks and other equipment in the event of a pandemic. Ten federal reports sounded the alarm, even as the nation witnessed SARS, MERS, avian flu and swine flu that circled the globe. In 2009, during the swine flu outbreak, the federal Strategic National Stockpile dispersed 85 million N95 masks, as well as other protective masks. The masks were never replaced afterward.

Don’t blame any president, Democratic or Republican, for this oversight. The career officials at Health and Human Services knowingly allowed the nation to be undersupplied. They never requested enough money to adequately stock the Strategic National Stockpile. Their agenda was global, tracking down polio in Pakistan, pouring nearly $5 billion in the fight against Ebola overseas, and funding a Global Health Security Agenda serving 49 countries. But no masks for Americans.

When the coronavirus struck here, the CDC offered only mask double talk. The agency said on the one hand masks are vital to protect health care workers, and on the other hand, masks won’t make the public safer. It defies common sense. The agency should have leveled with people, admitting supplies had to be saved for front line caregivers.

The coronavirus could return next winter. Or another viral pandemic could strike from any part of the globe. The bill Congress enacted in late March allocates $16 billion to the Strategic National Stockpile, nearly 30 times its annual budget. Next time the U.S. will have enough masks.

Source: Coronavirus masks – what works, new rules and explaining the shortage

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2020, 5:58 pm

New Yorkers are required to wear a mask when they can't social distance. In practical terms that means when one goes shopping you are required to wear a mask. Taking your daily walk or jog does not unless you are going to be within six (thirteen?) feet of somebody.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2020, 7:02 pm

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2020, 9:51 pm

An article claimed that masks will be required legally in some counties in the San Francisco Bay area

it doesn't say the amount of the fine

It doesn't say how the law will be enforced

It doesn't have to be an N95 mask

Towels and bandanas allegedly suffice

A couple of weeks ago the Center Disease Control said that N95 mask don't prevent coronovirus

Now the same "experts" tell you to make your own mask

And leave n95 masks for health professionals

Where are the PubMed article about research trials on the semi permeable membrane filtering properties of bandanas against coronovirus?

Maybe the whole thing is a conspiracy to cause less pollution, or to cause more grocery shopping

AriaEclipse
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2020, 11:51 am

I ordered a non-medical one online that I hope comes in the mail soon for about $10. The last time I went out a little over a week ago, I wore a construction mask but I think that they are important to wear as a precaution. Actually, now in my state, they are mandatory if you want to go out though they don't have penalties I don't believe if you don't have one on.

My Tumblr

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

20 Apr 2020, 11:39 pm

I really think Trump should wear this mask :arrow:

I couldn't resist but we probably shouldn't really talk about it here since this isn't the politics section.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2020, 12:39 am

^^^i'd buy THAT for a dollar! :lmao: