Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Substantially_Abstract
Raven
Raven

14 Apr 2020, 3:58 pm

Does anyone on here suspect this whole coronavirus pandemic to be intentional?

Some say it is the government, planning to achieve more control over its' citizens, by either inserting chips through the vaccine, or by killing. (I think, the idea with chips is far scarier, especially if they figure out, how to control our thoughts).

If it is intentional, then what do you think may save us?

This topic is kind of meant to philosophize/fantasize about the future and humanity.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2020, 4:38 pm

In my opinion, the proliferation of the coronavirus within the human species is most likely the result of negligence, not deliberate intent.  Either some health inspector did not enforce the law, or the law to guide the health inspectors was never enacted.  In any case, the most important question is not "To whom can we affix the blame?"; instead, the most important question is "How can this virus be stopped?"

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Gromit
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2020, 3:19 pm

Substantially_Abstract wrote:
Does anyone on here suspect this whole coronavirus pandemic to be intentional?

No. There is no evidence for it, and no plausible motive.

Some say it is the government, planning to achieve more control over its' citizens, by either inserting chips through the vaccine, or by killing.

With current technology, any chip small enough to be injected in a vaccine can't do much. And what is it supposed to do anyway? You don't need to inject chips to identify and track people. Governments that are authoritarian enough to want to track everyone already do that by tracking phones, using face recognition, and gait recognition. No chips needed. And companies are very keen on tracking everyone as well, and again, they don't need to inject hypothetical chips to do that. You might as well claim that the government is injecting chips into chicken eggs to boil them. If a government wants to boil eggs, there are easier ways to do it.

(I think, the idea with chips is far scarier, especially if they figure out, how to control our thoughts).

No such technology exists yet outside of science fiction, delusions, or the wildest hopes of the most optimistic transhumanists. They're hoping for it because if you could register and influence brain activity at that level of detail, you could also download minds into computers.

I promise, if that level of technology ever becomes available, you will know, because gamers will crowdfund it, and billionaires will use it to upload their minds and live forever.

If it is intentional, then what do you think may save us?

Listen to the epidemiologists and follow their advice to reduce the spread until there is a vaccine or a treatment.

If you want to worry about a few people controlling the population, may I recommend you worry about policies that concentrate money and power ever more, and vote against the pople who push those policies?

Substantially_Abstract
Raven
Raven

07 May 2020, 8:38 am

Idk if anything changed, but looking at the numbers, the likelihood of getting killed from COVID-19 was less than the likelihood of getting killed from the flu. Perhaps, some countries lowered their numbers?

Wouldn't everlasting life become boring though, if it was virtual? It was actually 1 of my childhood fears :mrgreen: .

Gromit
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2020, 11:43 am

Idk if anything changed, but looking at the numbers, the likelihood of getting killed from COVID-19 was less than the likelihood of getting killed from the flu.

Depends on where you live, and what policies your government adopted. So if you're a kiwi, congratulations, you are right, thanks to having elected a sane and competent government. Go to https://www.ft.com/content/a26fbf7e-48f8-11ea-aeb3-955839e06441, scroll down to the set of graphs of excess deaths per week compared to previous years, which includes the flu, then you will find that in many countries, Covid is a lot worse than flu. The biology of the virus is the same everywhere, because it doesn't yet have distinct strains. What differs is the behaviour of people. Do nothing, or act too late, and death rates rise up to 61% above the average. Assemble in crowds before government buildings to protest for the right to infect and be infected, and you have a good chance of getting your wish.

Another question concerns the long-term effects of having been infected. Flu has some, depending on the severity of the disease. For Covid, this is still unknown. Early indications don't look good.

Perhaps, some countries lowered their numbers?

Which numbers? There are several that could be relevant.

Wouldn't everlasting life become boring though, if it was virtual? It was actually 1 of my childhood fears :mrgreen: .

You could refuse to upload, or do it only you can delete yourself if you get too bored to live, so I wouldn't worry about that in advance.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2020, 12:14 pm

The initial release was probably accidental, though China has been quick to take advantage of the situation. The covering up, the delaying, the outright lying, the sabotaging and the funneling out of medical supplies via Chinese companies in other countries were all absolutely intentional on Chinas part.

As for the other governments, I doubt any individual government or even multiple in cahoots would be capable of intentionally orchestrating something like this for their own gain. The quarantines and lockdowns more seem like a desparate measure in the face of a lack of control; the image of a person in a crowded room shouting "everyone stand still, I dropped a contact lens" kind of comes to mind.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2020, 3:06 pm

I'm surprised there's so many strains of it in such a short period of time i.e. The worst kind in Europe and a milder version in the US, plus a childrens' version. All in under six months.

Gromit
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2020, 4:01 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
The initial release was probably accidental

What initial release? Last I read, the most likely origin is a transfer from bats, possibly trough an intermediate host. That would not be a release. What evidence do you have that you state this as a fact?

Wolfram87 wrote:
though China has been quick to take advantage of the situation.

Sending medics to Italy and the UK and looking responsible in comparison to the Trump administration? Absolutely. The incompetence and corruption of the US government is a gift to its geopolitical rivals, and they have been taking advantage for the last three years. Why stop now, when the gift just keeps on giving?

Wolfram87 wrote:
The covering up, the delaying, the outright lying

I don't see how that is taking advantage. That is trying to hide their own flaws. Even an authoritarian government needs some legitimacy in the eyes of those it rules. The Chinese government presents itself as competent, and able to deliver increasing wealth. But there is an interesting pattern in their censorship. They censor every call to collective action that does not come from the party, even if it is in support of the party or party policy. So doctors talking about an epidemic, which would need collective action, is something they clamp down on unless it is a party initiative. Local party officials hoped it would all go away so that they wouldn't look bad. Investigating the failure to act early would expose that, and that is where the central government lies and resists any investigation. Trump does the same.

Wolfram87 wrote:
the sabotaging

What sabotaging?

Wolfram87 wrote:
The quarantines and lockdowns more seem like a desparate measure in the face of a lack of control; the image of a person in a crowded room shouting "everyone stand still, I dropped a contact lens" kind of comes to mind.

Except that you don't get 3-5% of the people in the room dying if they just carry on.

smudge wrote:
I'm surprised there's so many strains of it in such a short period of time i.e. The worst kind in Europe and a milder version in the US, plus a childrens' version. All in under six months.

Source? A virologist interviewed on the BBC said just a few days ago that this virus does not yet have distinct strains, that there are some genetic differences, but nothing that is known to make any difference to how infectious it is, or how severe the disease. And what do you mean by a children's version?

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2020, 5:01 pm

I misread the articles, here. So it is still Coronavirus under the same strain but is oddly affecting some children. How comes this hasn't been heard of in other countries?

Gromit
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2020, 11:43 am

smudge wrote:
I misread the articles, here. So it is still Coronavirus under the same strain but is oddly affecting some children. How comes this hasn't been heard of in other countries?

According to this article, the disease has been seen in Italy, Spain, France, and the US as well: https://www.euronews.com/2020/05/04/coronavirus-what-is-kawasaki-disease-and-its-possible-link-with-covid-19-in-children. The link to coronavirus is still uncertain. If what you think is odd is children being affected differently than adults, that is no surprise. Gene expression and physiology change through development. That is why pediatrics is its own branch of medicine. Children can't be treated as adults with small body mass. They may respond differently to drugs, or to pathogens.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2020, 12:52 pm

Gromit wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
The initial release was probably accidental

What initial release? Last I read, the most likely origin is a transfer from bats, possibly trough an intermediate host. That would not be a release. What evidence do you have that you state this as a fact?

I've seen many hypotheses as to a possible intermediate host, the ones that come to mind are kraits and pangolins. However, from what I've seen the strongest current hypothesis is that it came from the Wuhan lab where they studied coronaviruses carried by bats and apparently had about half the biohazard safeguards that they should have had.

Quote:
Sending medics to Italy and the UK and looking responsible in comparison to the Trump administration? Absolutely. The incompetence and corruption of the US government is a gift to its geopolitical rivals, and they have been taking advantage for the last three years. Why stop now, when the gift just keeps on giving?

Emphasis on "looking".

Did they send those medics along with the shipment of ventilators that Italy had donated to China previously, and that they then had to buy back? Most of which, I might add, turned out to be defective.

Add to that the testing-kits they sold to Slovakia, Spain, Malaysia, Turkey and the Czech Republic (off the top of my head) that had an error rate of 80%.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/202 ... trump.html

Quote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
The covering up, the delaying, the outright lying

I don't see how that is taking advantage. That is trying to hide their own flaws. Even an authoritarian government needs some legitimacy in the eyes of those it rules. The Chinese government presents itself as competent, and able to deliver increasing wealth. But there is an interesting pattern in their censorship. They censor every call to collective action that does not come from the party, even if it is in support of the party or party policy. So doctors talking about an epidemic, which would need collective action, is something they clamp down on unless it is a party initiative. Local party officials hoped it would all go away so that they wouldn't look bad. Investigating the failure to act early would expose that, and that is where the central government lies and resists any investigation. Trump does the same.

Aside from the economic advantage of selling defective medical equipment during a pandemic they caused, they've also been doing some military forays in the South China Sea (which China lays claim to in its entirety, but which the rest of the world sees as international waters.)

Quote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
the sabotaging

What sabotaging?

https://www.msn.com/en-in/news/world/ch ... r-BB13vjMF

Plus I find it very, very suspect that a Chinese scientist working in the US, and who is on the cusp of making a breakthrough in understanding the virus is suddenly shot dead by a friend who then immediately shoots himself.

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/crime ... 2005040082

Gromit
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2020, 8:19 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
from what I've seen the strongest current hypothesis is that it came from the Wuhan lab

I already knew that this is what you think. I was asking what reason you have to think so. I have heard this only as a Republican talking point, pushed by Murdoch's various media. Here is an article quoting scientists who have worked with the Wuhan lab: https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/04/nih-s-axing-bat-coronavirus-grant-horrible-precedent-and-might-break-rules-critics-say. They don't agree with the Republican talking point.

Wolfram87 wrote:
where they studied coronaviruses carried by bats

Which is what you need to do if you want to have a chance of being prepared for one of those viruses starting to infect humans.

Wolfram87 wrote:
and apparently had about half the biohazard safeguards that they should have had.

Not according to the scientists who know the lab or one of the people working there.

Wolfram87 wrote:
Emphasis on "looking".

Oh, sure. You only need to look at how the Chinese government treats the Tibetans and the Uighurs to know they don't give a s**t about people. This is a PR stunt.

Wolfram87 wrote:
Aside from the economic advantage of selling defective medical equipment during a pandemic they caused

That and the link you offered give the impression of a cunning plan. It reminds me of the people who think 9/11 was an inside job. It is not necessary to credit the supposed cunning planners with that much competence. What happened can more easily be explained by the known level of incompetence, corruption and opportunism. In China's case, the party that calls itself communist has gone all in for crony capitalism with minimal regulation and a great deal of corruption. That is how you get tainted baby milk (sold mostly within China, so not a cunning plot to weaken the foreign devils), and toxic paint. There are lots of cowboy outfits in China, and they jump on the opportunity. And remember, you said China's help was only there to look good. Defective equipment doesn't look good.

Wolfram87 wrote:
they've also been doing some military forays in the South China Sea (which China lays claim to in its entirety, but which the rest of the world sees as international waters.)

They have been doing that for years, so no change there, and no evidence for a great Chinese corona conspiracy designed to give them opportunity to do what they have been doing for many years, in defiance of all their neighbours, the US Navy, and an international court judgement.

When you push an argument that has so little factual support behind it, and is so implausible, you distract from things that the Chinese government really is doing. A short list includes their systematic destruction of Tibetan and Uighur culture and attempt to replace these people by Han Chinese (meets UN definition of genocide), their systematic diplomatic effort to defend human rights abuses, their territorial aggression in the South China sea. Pushing a theory with so little empirical support only makes it easier for the Chinese government to dismiss all accusations as fake news.

Wolfram87 wrote:
the sabotaging
Gromit wrote:
What sabotaging?

Wolfram87 wrote:
https://www.msn.com/en-in/news/world/china-lied-to-world-about-coronavirus-covid-19-outbreak-hampered-efforts-in-developing-vaccine-claims-spy-dossier/ar-BB13vjMF

Everything in that article is attributed to The Sun, a paper in Rupert Murdoch's media empire that has earned the same reputation for truth and accuracy as Fox News, Soviet-era Pravda, or Chinese or North Korean state media. Assuming that report exists, I would like to hear from someone else who has read it, because The Sun would at least have cherry-picked whatever suits Murdoch's agenda best. https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/may/08/murdoch-media-china-coronavirus-conspiracy-trump-kevin-rudd