[ POLL ] An Argument Against Universal Basic Income.

Page 9 of 11 [ 173 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Do you agree with the premises and conclusion of the essay?
Yes, absolutely! 9%  9%  [ 4 ]
Yes, mostly. 9%  9%  [ 4 ]
Some things yes, some things no. 27%  27%  [ 12 ]
No, mostly. 33%  33%  [ 15 ]
No, absolutely! 22%  22%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 45

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 7:07 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Fnord wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
it has been my direct experience that minimum wage jobs are among the toughest one that exist. anybody who has ever slaved and scurried around a hot stove in a pizza parlor is missing out on an experience of hell on earth.
You do not know Hell-On-Earth until you have mucked out a 500-gallon septic tank in the middle of an August drought!
granted that is much closer to the innermost circles of hell but the pizza parlor example [for me who had heat stroke] is surely an outer circle of hell?
If anchovies were involved, then certainly yes.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 9:56 pm

Some of us like anchovies!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2021, 11:11 pm

i'd like to try Scotland Pizza Hut's smoked salmon pizza. :chef:

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

27 Aug 2021, 8:41 pm

An inherent problem with capitalism is that the poor are always considered to be extremely expendable. Billionaires are currently paying for space travel right now while lots of people are majorly struggling to provide food for their families. A universal basic income would help make things more fair & would give the poor a better chance of being able to succeed with finding gainful employment. There are other various ways to help the poor rise up but aLOT of the people in power are trying take those programs away instead of expanding them. Absolute power corrupts absolutely & the people in power use their power to stay in power by keeping the people without power down. The system is EXTREMELY corrupt

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2021, 10:14 pm

the cruelty and the unfairness and abuse of power are considered features and not flaws by the PTB here in amuuurica.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2021, 12:59 am

I dont think it should be the governments job to restribute money to the poor so I am against UBI.Plus we dont have the money for it.We will always have poverty no matter what.I believe capitalism is better than Marxism for combatting poverty.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

28 Aug 2021, 1:22 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
But idealy in a perfect world i would not be in favor of any possiblity of UBI but I only am because i want to save the lives of the rich if this is truely needed in order to protect their lives .
I cant tell if you are being sarcastic or not. But incase you are not, the rich already do a great job of keeping themselves protected & safe. The rich can afford to see the best doctors. They live in mansions & can have the best security systems. They can have bulletproof limos, their own personal jets, & their personal bodyguards. It's easier to storm the US capital & shoot people & get away with it than it is to storm a rich person's mansion & shoot the rich.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2021, 1:40 am

nick007 wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
But idealy in a perfect world i would not be in favor of any possiblity of UBI but I only am because i want to save the lives of the rich if this is truely needed in order to protect their lives .
I cant tell if you are being sarcastic or not. But incase you are not, the rich already do a great job of keeping themselves protected & safe. The rich can afford to see the best doctors. They live in mansions & can have the best security systems. They can have bulletproof limos, their own personal jets, & their personal bodyguards. It's easier to storm the US capital & shoot people & get away with it than it is to storm a rich person's mansion & shoot the rich.

Well to be fair i am talking about a possible repeat of a French revolution like situation or communist takeover in the US.Most millionaires dont live in mansions have limos and private jets.Most of them live modestly.The rich are preparing to flee the country if they have to.

Last edited by Texasmoneyman300 on 28 Aug 2021, 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2021, 2:08 am

nick007 wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

how would you pay for UBI because social programs account for 2/3rds of the federal budget roughly?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2021, 2:29 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
nick007 wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

how would you pay for UBI because social programs account for 2/3rds of the federal budget roughly?

that is a spurious stat that i don't believe for a second. the MIC and our national debt substantially and systematically worsened [aka "starving the beast"] by corporate welfare sucks all the green out of our national budget. pare that down substantially so that we are at per capita parity with a country like england or canada [IOW stop being a fking policeman for the whole GD world], eliminate corporate welfare, make the rich pay their fair share, tax wall street churning transactions, and the money will be there to help the 99%. it is just a matter of priorities. don't be a lackey for the 1%, they only laugh at the rest of us. don't be a tool. don't believe faux news propaganda.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2021, 2:46 am

auntblabby wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
nick007 wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

that is a spurious stat that i don't believe for a second. the MIC and our national debt substantially and systematically worsened [aka "starving the beast"] by corporate welfare sucks all the green out of our national budget. pare that down substantially so that we are at per capita parity with a country like england or canada [IOW stop being a fking policeman for the whole GD world], eliminate corporate welfare, make the rich pay their fair share, tax wall street churning transactions, and the money will be there to help the 99%. it is just a matter of priorities. don't be a lackey for the 1%, they only laugh at the rest of us. don't be a tool. don't believe faux news propaganda.

I am rich and i pay too much taxes as it is.I think the American public would be better served if i did not have to write those big tax checks.We will always have the poor and I think those who will not work should also not eat food because I believe the Bible.I am not concerned or worried about the national debt one bit really.Just about everyone can become a millionaire in America by retirement if they do their part so thats another reason why I am against the UBI.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2021, 3:39 am

IMNO that is capitalist propagandandistic horatio alger nonsense. just parroting "the poor ye shall always have with thee" is a moral cop-out. if your god wants to punish the poor, i want nothing to do with your god.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2021, 4:04 am

auntblabby wrote:
IMNO that is capitalist propagandandistic horatio alger nonsense. just parroting "the poor ye shall always have with thee" is a moral cop-out. if your god wants to punish the poor, i want nothing to do with your god.

Well actually my God is more likely to give a poor person the ultimate reward.How would you fix poverty.Capitalism has been the greatest force in the history of the world to lift the most people out of poverty.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2021, 5:46 am

I am open to a UBI possibly if it replaced all welfare and social programs like Milton Friedman proposed.I would want to make sure it allowed for an incentive to work.However all the money printing needed would make inflation go through the roof.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2021, 6:32 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
I am open to a UBI possibly if it replaced all welfare and social programs like Milton Friedman proposed.I would want to make sure it allowed for an incentive to work.However all the money printing needed would make inflation go through the roof.

How about an UBI that doesn't involve giving money directly to the poor, but would be done by giving people the necessary food, roof over their head and medical care directly. Would that kind of system work? I mean, at the very least it'd keep the poor people from using their money meant for basic needs on entertainment and then complaining that the money isn't enough for the basics.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2021, 7:16 am

Fireblossom wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:

How about an UBI that doesn't involve giving money directly to the poor, but would be done by giving people the necessary food, roof over their head and medical care directly. Would that kind of system work? I mean, at the very least it'd keep the poor people from using their money meant for basic needs on entertainment and then complaining that the money isn't enough for the basics.

Maybe but i would be fine with giving them money because it would help create jobs for other people but they could not use it on any frivious things.They would only have to live the most basic of lifestyles.But I would only be for UBI if it eliminated the welfare system totally and replaced the social safety net.I think it would reduce bureacury and waste.

I am just afraid all the money printing that would be needed would cause another round of stagflation and double digit inflation eventually.They would also have to volunteer 40 hours a week if they wanted to qualify for the UBI program and work internships possibly.I would also make compound interest a part of the middle school and high school curriculum so they could turn what little money they can save while they are young into a lot.I think a better solution than UBI would be to let Wall Street put the social secuiry money in the stock market.I also think a good way to combat poverty would be to have every child in the country be mandated to invest a sum of money every week or month into the stock market in mutual funds or ETFs or index funds.Also, maybe each child could get a thousand dollar grant at birth that would be put into a mutual or index fund and they would get it at retirement.I think that would help poverty more than UBI.Also i think each company should possibly have a tax free retirement plan that the employeer would contribute money.The workers would be fully invested in their funds at 70 or 80.Part of the UBI would be sent to the stock market to eventually get them off of it.

Last edited by Texasmoneyman300 on 28 Aug 2021, 8:00 am, edited 2 times in total.