Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

iluvgod
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Apr 2020, 12:20 pm

Hi guys. I'm having trouble deciding what language to learn. I either want to learn Spanish or Portuguese, but can't decide which one. I like Spanish because it's a great language and many people in the U.S. Speak it. It's mainly love of the language though. I want to learn Portuguese because my wife is Portuguese and my father in law is from Portugal. Her whole side is Portuguese. There are a lot of Portuguese immigrants in my area. So, there is strong Portuguese culture here as well. It's a,fascinating culture. So,I just can't decide. What do you guys think?

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2020, 3:05 pm

iluvgod wrote:
What do you guys think?

It totally depends on what's most important to you.

Do you talk to many people outside your family? If not, you may never get the chance to use Spanish skills.

Have you ever tried learning a foreign spoken language? You may find out that you're bad at it and aren't ever able to really talk to your wife or father-in-law (assuming that's why you want to learn Portuguese).

In the U.S., Spanish language learning materials (including audiovisual materials) will be much easier to find and cheaper than Portuguese learning materials.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2020, 4:37 pm

choose the one you will use the most, that's the best way to improve and retain it. otherwise you'll lose it and that effort will have been for naught.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

tina.mary911
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Aug 2020, 7:09 am

Hi!
Well I believe the top in-demand languages globally at present are French and Spanish.
There are many career opportunities plus we must admit it sounds really cool when someone speaks any of those languages.

Well my daughter has am inclination towards language learning and has already completed Spanish 2 and recently enrolled into French.

Depending on your situation I would suggest Spanish.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2020, 7:12 am

I was going to say Spanish but as your wife is Portuguise, it may ake sense to learn that one.

But there again, you can both speak English so Spanish would add to the diversity... BUT, your wifea family and friends may ot know English... Probably Portuguise is the best choice?

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2021, 5:26 pm

Many online resources can help you learn a new language for free.

Duolingo is a good one. I use it whenever I can.