Are audiences so sensitive and offended by movie content now

Page 6 of 8 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2020, 2:00 am

But why is everthing so PC nowadays? How it is when older movies are so "controversial" by today's standards that so many people seem prudish now when it comes to entertainment? What happened? People say the internet, but can the interent alone "wussify" Western culture? Wouldn't it have to be more than the internet?

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2020, 7:58 pm

ironpony wrote:
But why is everthing so PC nowadays? How it is when older movies are so "controversial" by today's standards that so many people seem prudish now when it comes to entertainment? What happened? People say the internet, but can the interent alone "wussify" Western culture? Wouldn't it have to be more than the internet?

That is ridiculous. And people look down and generalize the older generations as "prudish" now. I don't think we having become "less prudish" is necessarily true.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2020, 8:04 pm

Oh I thought it was the opposite, that the older generation was able to handle darker and more controversial entertainment compared to today.

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2020, 7:50 pm

The sequel to "Nissene på låven" called "Nissene over skog og hei" (both reality show santa parodies) have been pulled as they think Eckbos character Ernst is a case of blackface when it is nothing like it nor is Eckbo racist

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2020, 8:21 pm

And that's another thing, is that Americans are offended by blackface, because of American history, but Nissene på låven is Nordic, so why should Europeans care about that sort of thing. It seems that Europe is getting on the American censorship bandwagon now?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2020, 12:17 pm

ironpony wrote:
Oh I thought it was the opposite, that the older generation was able to handle darker and more controversial entertainment compared to today.

For a time in the 80's there were tons of people convinced DnD was evil and satanic, it was the gateway to kids becoming satanists and willing to commit ritual sacrifice.... :roll: So I am going to say perhaps they couldn't handle such things.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2020, 12:27 pm

ironpony wrote:
And that's another thing, is that Americans are offended by blackface, because of American history, but Nissene på låven is Nordic, so why should Europeans care about that sort of thing. It seems that Europe is getting on the American censorship bandwagon now?

Well for one things spread, its not like Nordic people don't know about that part of american history. Also, though I don't think the U.S was the only country that ever exploited african people.

Also its insulting, there is more to black people than the color of their skin, throwing on some paint and doing exagreatted impressions of black people is just wrong. Just seems kind of obvious whether you're american or european.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2020, 12:29 pm

collectoritis wrote:
The sequel to "Nissene på låven" called "Nissene over skog og hei" (both reality show santa parodies) have been pulled as they think Eckbos character Ernst is a case of blackface when it is nothing like it nor is Eckbo racist

Well is the character played by a black person, or a white person with black paint on their face?

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

27 Dec 2020, 1:15 pm

Well in the Nordic movie, why didn't they just hire a black actor then instead of white actor painted black, if that's the case?

collectoritis
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2020, 12:29 am

I suspect had sitcom Married with Children been on air today there would be major outcry cuz it has to be pc these days

Acutally a woman tried to have MWC pulled back in the day but it had opposite effect : the show became even more popular after that :lol:

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2020, 12:35 am

But since you have other shows that are also non-PC like Game of Thrones nowadays, why would people complain about something like MWC?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2020, 12:59 am

some folks complain just to hear themselves roar.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2020, 1:14 am

Well my friend will watch 90s sitcoms and will say things like they wouldn't allow sexual innuendos like that today. But what I don't get it is, unlike the 90s, they will allow graphic rape, like what you see in Game of Thrones.

How come sexual innuendo in a comedy for TV is bad now, but graphic rape is okay, if it's a drama? I don't get how the line is drawn there.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2020, 1:44 am

ironpony wrote:
Well my friend will watch 90s sitcoms and will say things like they wouldn't allow sexual innuendos like that today. But what I don't get it is, unlike the 90s, they will allow graphic rape, like what you see in Game of Thrones.

How come sexual innuendo in a comedy for TV is bad now, but graphic rape is okay, if it's a drama? I don't get how the line is drawn there.

on tv south of the border [amuuurica IOW] they won't allow graphic rape on commercial television, only on premium pay cable, that has been the case for decades now.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2020, 2:00 am

Oh okay, so my friends were just talking about censored cable television perhaps.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2020, 3:34 am

ironpony wrote:

I would say that in the right places, there are more places to watch things than general TV now, you can find much more uses of sexual innuendo than they could before. The only exceptions would be the kinds that are viewed as predatory, like bosses that could use their power over an employee, and things that might clasify as literal hate speech of some kind.

But they could not even talk about gay people back in those 90s shows, the few examples were often met by a huge amount of pushback. People might forget how much controversy Ellen's coming out was back then. Now I can watch cartoons that are aimed at children that can have gay characters and relationships.