Are audiences so sensitive and offended by movie content now

Page 7 of 8 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2020, 7:21 am

This José channel has some interesting critique on 90s TV and how its seem through a modern eye. I'll start you off with MWc. I never liked this show when it was on to be honest.

You ask a lot of questions about film and TV. There are loads of resources out there on the Internet with answers.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2020, 8:02 pm

Videos like that José video are exactly one of the ones I was thinking about earlier. It is worth noting that what a lot of those 90s shows managed to get away with was not easy. The interesting thing about the MWC video is how it goes into how the show was controversial just for not being something like a perfect family, there were things back then that they could not do that they could probably get away with now. I remember there being a good section in the video that went into the main controversy and how it was actually kind of lucky that it pushed it forward instead of getting it canceled for some sexuality.

The other good videos he has done on such shows are Home Improvement, The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Murphy Brown, and two long videos on Roseanne. I think they are all good at demystifying the TV shows of that period, and see what ways they could and could not push things. People were super sensitive back then, and I would say the shows that are pushing things in the same spirit are the type of shows people might complain about being too "PC".

Do you think a show like Modern Family could have existed in the 90s?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2020, 8:23 pm

ironpony wrote:
Well my friend will watch 90s sitcoms and will say things like they wouldn't allow sexual innuendos like that today. But what I don't get it is, unlike the 90s, they will allow graphic rape, like what you see in Game of Thrones.

How come sexual innuendo in a comedy for TV is bad now, but graphic rape is okay, if it's a drama? I don't get how the line is drawn there.

Game of Thrones is on HBO which has always had far different standards than network TV. I'm not sure it's an apples to apples comparison to when we compare network TV with advertisers and broadcast standards to HBO which has neither of those.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2020, 7:08 pm

Oh okay. Perhaps my friends mean censored TV when they say 'they wouldn't allow that nowadays'. But it's not just TV though. It seems that even movies that go to theaters now are much more 'safe' than they use to be before, compared to movies of the 80s and 90s for example. Unless it's just me?

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2020, 7:28 pm

It is different standards. Like, sure, you would probably be less likely to get away with something that is homophobic, sexist or racist. But you could be more likely now to have a sympathetic portrayal of a gay character, have a character that breaks gender norms or sexual stereotypes, and a more racially diverse cinema in general. And people still get sensitive (offended) when they see things like a homosexual character that is sympathetic, character archtypes that challenge their worldview of gender norms, and roles in general given to more diverse actors.

Conservatives have been getting offended by cinema since it has existed.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2020, 9:59 pm

ironpony wrote:
Oh okay. Perhaps my friends mean censored TV when they say 'they wouldn't allow that nowadays'. But it's not just TV though. It seems that even movies that go to theaters now are much more 'safe' than they use to be before, compared to movies of the 80s and 90s for example. Unless it's just me?

south of the border at least, amuuurican studios like to put out for the broad middle, meaning our PG13 rating [a glorified G with reservations] is the catch-all rating meaning movies must be tailored to have goldilocks levels of LSVD to not offend too many of the righties in our bible belt as well as to get and keep as many @$$es in seats as possible.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2020, 11:39 pm

But it didn't always use to be like this though and Hollywood was more comfortable putting out darkier grittier content before and more R rated movies and they still sold and made money. What changed?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2020, 11:53 pm

ironpony wrote:
But it didn't always use to be like this though and Hollywood was more comfortable putting out darkier grittier content before and more R rated movies and they still sold and made money. What changed?

but pg-13 rated flicks here make the MOST money, and those hollywood greedheads are all about maximizing profits. money is the ultimate censor.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2020, 12:07 am

Yeah that's true. How come a lot of foreign countries still make a lot of R rated movies in comparison, and still make their money though? What's their secret?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2020, 12:08 am

ironpony wrote:
Yeah that's true. How come a lot of foreign countries still make a lot of R rated movies in comparison, and still make their money though? What's their secret?

simple, they don't have a bible belt to deal with. Canadians for example tend to be far more broadminded than most amuuuricans, about racy things.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2020, 2:57 pm

Oh. What is this 'bible belt' though and where did it come from the US compared to other nations?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2021, 5:40 am

ironpony wrote:
Oh. What is this 'bible belt' though and where did it come from the US compared to other nations?

(clicky)what and where is the amuuurican bible belt and why do they matter in our politics

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2021, 10:18 pm

Oh okay thanks. I guess this is why I hardly watch American movies, as it seems they have been on a real decline since the early 2010s for some reason.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 10:52 am

thankfully grew up a 90s kid before mainstream tastes became so pussifed.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2021, 1:28 pm

Well two of my favorite foreign films of this dedade are The Skin I Live In (2011), and Parasite (2019). But you don't see Hollywood making movies like those nowadays it seems. Maybe in the 90s they would have.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 2:47 am

"freebie and the bean" may just be too rude to remake these days.