Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Magpies
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Apr 2020, 8:00 am

heyo, first post here ever :? i need some advice. i don't see a lot of ts / tic disorder talk on this section of the forums, but i don't really have anywhere else to post lol (perhaps there is a TS subreddit?) so some solidarity is appreciated here if not advice, because everything's been so intense...

i have myriad tics (not diagnosed because i don't want or need serious medical help so i don't see the need) and because of self-quarantine and stress they have been really really prominent since tics come out more when you're alone and comfortable and unwatched. however due to the severity of the situation i've ended up developing NEW tics without outside influence at all, the worst of which being that i clench my jaw real tight. my jaw hurts a little bit now but i'm kind of scared, i've never had something like this pop up. the only other tic i've has that hurts me bad is an internal one where i shift muscles around my stomach while pacing and it weirdly causes a sharp stabbing pain in my left shoulder. but the teeth thing bothers me a lot.

so i'm wondering if anyone has advice on, say, something to put in my mouth?? i'm considering buying one of those chewable necklaces intended for autistic folks so i can chew down on that instead of slowly breaking my teeth (they're already weak) but this wave of tics might pass by then. thoughts?

also, sorry if this post doesn't belong here or if i broke a rule i didn't know about. i've always been nervous around forums and boards :|

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2020, 8:35 am

Hello Magpies and welcome here on WP!

Magpies wrote:
however due to the severity of the situation i've ended up developing NEW tics without outside influence at all, the worst of which being that i clench my jaw real tight. my jaw hurts a little bit now but i'm kind of scared, i've never had something like this pop up.

Don't know what it is and how long do you face this but tetanus may start like this.
Are you vaccinated?

Magpies wrote:
the only other tic i've has that hurts me bad is an internal one where i shift muscles around my stomach while pacing and it weirdly causes a sharp stabbing pain in my left shoulder. but the teeth thing bothers me a lot.

This could be a hint of a serious heart problem. May be tetanus as well, but I'm not a doc.
Guess you should visit a doc quite fast now! And I mean just today! :!:

Velorum
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2020, 8:58 am

And also Tetany (distinct from Tetanus) which can manifest as muscle cramps and rigidity among other things.

Once cause is chronic hyperventilation which is often associated with anxiety.

As a young adult I was taken to A&E as they thought that I was having a complex partial epileptic seizure - aside from generalised muscle rigidity and spasms my jaw was virtually locked shut.

Once my the balance of oxygen and CO2 etc in my body had returned to normal everything was OK

Non-binary member of the LGBTQ+ community

Magpies
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Apr 2020, 3:32 pm

quite an extreme wrote:
Hello Magpies and welcome here on WP!
Magpies wrote:
however due to the severity of the situation i've ended up developing NEW tics without outside influence at all, the worst of which being that i clench my jaw real tight. my jaw hurts a little bit now but i'm kind of scared, i've never had something like this pop up.

Don't know what it is and how long do you face this but tetanus may start like this.
Are you vaccinated?

Magpies wrote:
the only other tic i've has that hurts me bad is an internal one where i shift muscles around my stomach while pacing and it weirdly causes a sharp stabbing pain in my left shoulder. but the teeth thing bothers me a lot.

This could be a hint of a serious heart problem. May be tetanus as well, but I'm not a doc.
Guess you should visit a doc quite fast now! And I mean just today! :!:

Ah, i'm vaccinated for Tetanus I looked it up and i don't think it's lockjaw because i get a premonitory urge to clench my jaw and i can sort of redirect it by doing other things with my mouth, it's kind of got that "daring me" feeling. however i have definitely been worried about my heart and also breathing for a while because i have resting angina, shortness of breath and chest tightness that comes and goes. but the last time i went to a doctor he didn't take me seriously at all, so i am a bit afraid about that.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2020, 3:35 pm

Have you tried a splint or a night guard? Dentists can make them custom-fit, and they'll help you to relax your jaw at night so that in the day your muscles aren't so cramped. This is more of a longer term solution, but I'd also recommend acupuncture when COVID is over. It really helps with my bruxism and TMD.

Oculus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Apr 2020, 6:51 pm

I used to grind my teeth, chronically. It caused a lot of problems until I got a handle on it.

One thing that helped was tiring out my jaw by chewing up tough jerky or other tough foods, sometimes supplemented with a little cardboard (something harmless, but tough, that I could chew on without hurting my teeth or poisoning myself). When my jaw muscles were sore and tired, I was less prone to clench

Another thing that helped was getting into the habit of putting the edge of my tongue between my teeth, so that if my jaw clenches I bite my tongue.

Between these two things, I've stopped grinding my teeth on the most part. I no longer chew tough foods, but still put my tongue between my teeth sometimes.

Magpies
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Apr 2020, 11:03 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Have you tried a splint or a night guard? Dentists can make them custom-fit, and they'll help you to relax your jaw at night so that in the day your muscles aren't so cramped. This is more of a longer term solution, but I'd also recommend acupuncture when COVID is over. It really helps with my bruxism and TMD.

Noted!

Magpies
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Apr 2020, 11:06 pm

Oculus wrote:
I used to grind my teeth, chronically. It caused a lot of problems until I got a handle on it.

One thing that helped was tiring out my jaw by chewing up tough jerky or other tough foods, sometimes supplemented with a little cardboard (something harmless, but tough, that I could chew on without hurting my teeth or poisoning myself). When my jaw muscles were sore and tired, I was less prone to clench

Another thing that helped was getting into the habit of putting the edge of my tongue between my teeth, so that if my jaw clenches I bite my tongue.

Between these two things, I've stopped grinding my teeth on the most part. I no longer chew tough foods, but still put my tongue between my teeth sometimes.

good idea.... i truly love jerky so if this continues to bother me that may help. since i probably won't be leaving home anytime soon i'm going to pop open the bag of MRE's i have and see if there's jerky since the clenching is waning tonight but still here and making eating awkward. i've been putting my tongue and cheeks between my teeth as well. it reminds me of the months i spent growing out my nails actually! i grew out only my thumbnails as a challenge since i pick them, and instead of picking i would bend the nails.