Post ONLY Good Things to come out of this C-19 lockdown

Page 1 of 6 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2020, 1:24 pm

Good for you, good for society, good for the environment, good for something else - no negativity, no whining or complaining - just short sweet posts highlighting the silver linings coming out of all of this.

IMO, there are MANY, and I could rattle off a list but I’m going to limit it to just one and then whenever I feel like adding another to this thread that hasn’t been posted yet I’ll post another.

Just figured this would be a good thought exercise forum game type thread to help distract from the downsides. It’s all too easy to get caught up in all the fear and negativity, because there’s a lot.. but this thread is not for those things. Good vibes only.

Without further adieu, I’ll get started:

It’s now only T - ~2 months until I’ll be able to legally donate blood for the first time in my life thanks to changing legislation. Part of me wants to stay angry and say “f**k you, until you change all non science based discriminatory donation laws, you can’t have my gay blood!” But another part of me says “But cancer kids don’t care about anyone’s politics.. they just need blood.” And that part wins. So, positive good vibes silver lining thing coming out of this hot mess is that I’ll be able to do some good donating blood for the first time this Summer. 8)

Hbu? What’s something good that’s come of this for you? Or that you’ve noticed out there in the world?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2020, 1:28 pm

The only good thing to come out of this whole crisis is that I have learnt the smaller things I used to get worked up about just aren't worth it. I used to have panic meltdowns whenever snow was forecasted, but give me snow any day compared to this. So in the future I don't think I will be so worked up about snow any more. It's like this crisis has conquered my fear of snow.

maycontainthunder
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2020, 1:29 pm

Traffic pollution down.

Traffic noise down.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2020, 2:03 pm

A lot of good has come out of this C-19 lockdown.

1. The food bank delivered two boxes of groceries to my house because they changed their model to "drive up" only and I don't have a car.

2. I'll be getting a $1200 stimulus check.

3. The internet company removed their data cap. I can now download music and watch movies without overages. They also added about 50-60 free stations over cable to add to the 4 they already had for free.

4. My building is practically shut down, meaning I rarely run into anyone when I go to check my mail or take the garbage out.

5. The Safeway pharmacy now delivers meds.

6. Less drivers in the street means I can ride my bike without worrying about a traffic accident.

7. I applied to a local concern that is donating money to people who are elderly or disabled to help them pay their rent.

8. Normally, I get $16/month on food stamps. When I went to check, there was $372.

9. Only recently, I discovered Amazon, Walmart and Schwan's Home Delivery took food stamps from my area.

Last edited by redrobin62 on 19 Apr 2020, 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2020, 2:38 pm

I learned to bake different types of bread and pastries.

Callafiriel
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Apr 2020, 3:27 pm

I live near an airport and haven't heard a plane for weeks now. The quiet during the night is heavenly.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2020, 8:28 pm

Callafiriel wrote:
I live near an airport and haven't heard a plane for weeks now. The quiet during the night is heavenly.

Yes! Me too. The skies have been so quiet.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2020, 4:13 am

Because I was laid off I haven't needed to do any masking for weeks. I dont meet anyone when I go out and have to do small talk. A wave from a distance is all I've to do. Perfect.
I think this is the first time in my life that I've had the space to just be me, completely fine as I am, all the time. Not sure how well I adjust when this us all over, but I'm keeping this one as a positive thing.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2020, 7:15 am

On personal level, well, I feel much... calmer? I don't really know, but limiting the social contacts and other things that I can't do at my own pace at the same time really make me feel better. Now if I'd only get my non-corona related health problems under control, life would be really good.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

20 Apr 2020, 7:31 am

I can serve as a proxy between my AS daughter and her completely-unsuited-for-AS teacher.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

SportsGamer35728
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Apr 2020, 7:31 am

Saving money I typically spend buying game/concert tickets and snacks. I've already effectively gotten back the $7k cash I paid for my car in February 8)

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2020, 7:43 am

For the past 6 years I've been dealing with the aftereffects of a bad bout of plantar fasciitis, a tendon and ligament problem in the feet. 2-3 months off work may finally give it a chance to heal properly, as I'm not on my feet 6 hours a day any more.

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2020, 7:57 am

No airplanes--since this whole thing started I've only seen one military helicopter and an old crop-dusting plane with a propeller.

Calm, quiet, more time to study

No pollution

Haven't had to drive anywhere--now there are violets growing around the automobile

Wildlife is back; there's a rabbit living in the yard now

Very little automobile noise on the streets

(This is super selfish but--) I like the stillness.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2020, 8:18 am

The neighbors down the block have stopped parking their work-trucks in front of my house.

The cops finally did something about the domestic "situations" at another neighbor's home.

Animal Control has finally shut down the puppy mill two blocks down.

The homeless people have left the streets in favor of being quarantined in hotels.

I don't have to attend any loud, crowded parties for the duration of the quarantine.

I've re-taught myself COBOL.

:D

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Flown
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2020, 9:29 am

I've been in a dark spot (mentally) for a long time, and now I'm reconnecting/checking in with family and online friends (mostly gaming friends). While the circumstances are not ideal, I'm happy to have their comfort and company right now.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2020, 9:44 am

No more hand shaking as form of social communication. Wonderful.
As others have said: quiet skies
Isolating at home has meant no sicknesses of any kind (colds, flu, etc).
No wear and tear on the vehicle.
Greater connection with family.