Page 6 of 9 [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2020, 7:34 am

Stop calling yourselves “rejects”—all of you!

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2020, 9:55 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Stop calling yourselves “rejects”—all of you!

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2020, 5:48 pm

hurtloam wrote:
My friends and I never go round to each others houses. We arrange to meet up at places of interest.

We never talk about relationships because we're all in the same boat. All middle aged rejects with no hope.

We go to art galleries, concerts, weekend trips to interesting cities, walks round tourist spots in our country, or maybe just an hour meetup in a new coffee shop we've found.

Being an unattached older woman is quite freeing.

I know that's different to being friends with young men, but the young men I used to hang out with were people I did the same things with. When they hung out together it seemed to watching a movie at each others houses or going to the cinema or pub.

They all have girlfriends now so not as interested in going to places with me at the moment.

Yes friendships with the opposite sex rarely last.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2020, 2:24 am

I really miss male company at times. You can talk to me straight about things, where as women find that tone argumentative. I get sick of just being around women.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2020, 8:35 am

hurtloam wrote:
I really miss male company at times. You can talk to me straight about things, where as women find that tone argumentative. I get sick of just being around women.

Maybe you're just too much around wrong kind of women? Lots of men get really whiny too if you speak bluntly about things they don't agree about with you. I've encountered my fair share of those kinds of men and women. :lol:

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2020, 11:44 am

Fireblossom wrote:
hurtloam wrote:

Maybe you're just too much around wrong kind of women? Lots of men get really whiny too if you speak bluntly about things they don't agree about with you. I've encountered my fair share of those kinds of men and women. :lol:

Oh they don't get whiney. They look a little hurt that you want a debate rather than a nice conversation. If anything they are too polite and reserved.

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2020, 4:56 am

There's a particular psychology practice near where I live, with a therapist who lists Aspergers as something they have experience dealing with. I've wanted to get in touch with them for ages (over a year) and potentially start going there, but I dread making the necessary phone call and never end up doing it as a result.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2020, 5:06 am

The Grand Inquisitor wrote:
There's a particular psychology practice near where I live, with a therapist who lists Aspergers as something they have experience dealing with. I've wanted to get in touch with them for ages (over a year) and potentially start going there, but I dread making the necessary phone call and never end up doing it as a result.

Do they have an email address? Sometimes I do "the making contact" experience in 3 parts, email enquiry for general info, when they respond, I reply with more detail to support the phone call I will make next. So that if I leave something out on the phone call I already have it covered in the email...
It slows down the process giving me time to think.

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2020, 5:16 am

Amity wrote:
The Grand Inquisitor wrote:

Do they have an email address? Sometimes I do "the making contact" experience in 3 parts, email enquiry for general info, when they respond, I reply with more detail to support the phone call I will make next. So that if I leave something out on the phone call I already have it covered in the email...
It slows down the process giving me time to think.

Thanks Amity.

I don't know how emailing them didn't even occur to me during all this time. I feel pretty silly now.

All I can think is that I must've subconsciously wanted to find an excuse to put it off.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2020, 5:19 am

You’re a good guy, TGI.

I still wish you would do some University. There, you might meet people more like you.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2020, 5:27 am

Lol it didnt occur to me for years to do it this way. I kept trying to blend in and "be normal" and make a phone call like "everyone else".

People will think what they want about you, regardless of what you say or do... so I figure be yourself and save that autistic energy for things under your control.

Besides emailing gives you a chance to ask questions about costs, availability and background info on the therapist, to see if they have the potential to be a good match.... The kind of details that sometimes take me longer to process when I'm nervous.

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2020, 5:36 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
You’re a good guy, TGI.

I still wish you would do some University. There, you might meet people more like you.

Thanks kraftiekortie.

Assuming my grades aren't decimated beyond repair from the last time I was at university, I'm open to going back, but not unless I'm confident that the money I'm spending towards university would be put to good use in getting me a career I'm satisfied with.

Given that my last bout with university ended in me dropping out and being no better off than I was before, and incurring $10,000 debt, I certainly don't want a repeat of that.

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2020, 5:46 am

Amity wrote:
Lol it didnt occur to me for years to do it this way. I kept trying to blend in and "be normal" and make a phone call like "everyone else".

People will think what they want about you, regardless of what you say or do... so I figure be yourself and save that autistic energy for things under your control.

Besides emailing gives you a chance to ask questions about costs, availability and background info on the therapist, to see if they have the potential to be a good match.... The kind of details that sometimes take me longer to process when I'm nervous.

I generally make doctor's appointments, optometrist appointments, etc online when it's possible, so it boggles my mind that I never thought to try emailing in this situation. Especially given how long I was considering contacting them.

I know what details I need from them, so all that's left to do is compose and send the message, which I'll probably do in the next few days.

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2020, 3:56 am

So I took Amity's suggestion and emailed the therapist I was eyeing. I'd actually been entertaining the idea of seeing that therapist since I think late 2018, but I had my doubts that therapy could adequately address my issues. I still do to an extent, but given what's at stake, I at least have to give it my best shot, and on paper, this therapist seems like pretty much the perfect match for my issues. Her website lists that she has experience dealing with aspergers and she's only about 1km or so away from me.

I have an appointment for a couple of weeks away, so we'll see how that goes. It'll be the first time I've been to therapy in 4 years, and my self-knowledge and ability to articulate and drill down to the core issues has improved immensely since then, so that in conjunction with the fact that this therapist has experience with aspergers should be conducive to more productive sessions than my previous bouts with therapy.

I haven't been completely forthcoming in this thread about the full extent of what I'm facing, and I don’t really want what I've left unsaid to be publicly available on this forum, which is why I've left it unsaid. When I say this whole not being able to get a girlfriend thing has lead to me doing potentially irreparable damage to myself, I mean that in the most literal sense. I know nobody will understand, which is another reason I don't mention it, but I felt like mentioning that this spin-off problem is also responsible for a fair chunk of my suicidality, low self-esteem and depression.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2020, 4:30 am

What do you find keeps you going?

For me it’s human Instinct if survival and video games. But video games are helping less and less. I find it hard to bother playing them sometimes. Especially if there’s no one to play wirh.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2020, 4:40 am

That's great news TGI. I hope your therapy session goes well. Congrats on taking the initiative to email for your appointment. I agree that telephone calls are much more challenging and consequently, they are easily avoided. You're fortunate to have the improved metacognition from last time, and to be aware of it as a new strength.

Good luck!!