Thoughts on organic diet vs gluten free?

Page 2 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

itz_personal
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Apr 2020, 10:06 am

MrsPeel wrote:
I'd be really interested to hear from anyone who's tried gluten free and/or organic diets and your opinions on my thought bubble.

Bear with me with a little background?

Every now and then, when I've been having a hard time with illness and mental health and seemingly escalating autistic issues, I ponder whether there might be a dietary solution. The trouble is, I'm really not one to engage in diets (especially the strict types that cut out whole food groups). It's a combination of lacking time and energy, the need to cook meals acceptable to my kids, plus a natural skepticism as to whether benefits are anything more than a placebo effect. Plus, you know, coffee and doughnuts.

Anyway, I was feeling bad enough to consider what would be involved in cutting gluten (often mentioned as an autism treatment for kids) - but it all seemed so hard. No wheat, rye, oats, bread, pasta, biscuits... Besides which, it always seems a bit weird that so many of us should be suffering from gluten sensitivities, when our forebears had no such issues - and our cultural cuisine was based on a 'healthy' dose of daily bread.

With a bit of reading and further consideration, I'm wondering if the main culprit might in fact be pesticide residues? Isn't it the case that a lot of pesticides act as neurotoxins? Nowadays we know that the gut is like a 'second brain' and produces even more neurotransmitters, so it's easy to imagine that pesticide residues in food might affect it badly. Are these the root cause of the modern malady of 'leaky gut', which is allowing those nasty glutens and caseins into our systems?

So here is my thought bubble. Maybe by eating organic produce as far as possible, and in particular organic staples like bread and pasta, this could prevent 'leaky gut' - in which case I could still enjoy bread and milk (aka coffee and doughnuts) - in organic form.

Or is this just wishful thinking?
Discuss...

My gripe with 'gluten-free' products is they're so expensiive. But, once you've experimented with one month on gluten-free products, the 'investment' is worth it. You start to feel well. Since 2004, I haven't looked back, as a major UK supermarket started their own GF product line at reasonable prices, and it changed my life. And, I don't enthuse without justification!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2020, 10:20 am

itz_personal wrote:
My gripe with 'gluten-free' products is they're so expensive...
Why is it that a common product that lacks a specific ingredient is more expensive than a similar product that includes that ingredient?

It's like when you could buy both leaded and unleaded gasoline.  Lead was added to gasoline, yet unleaded gasoline was more expensive -- there is no extra effort in removing something that was never added in the first place, so why should the missing ingredient make the product more expensive?

There's something odd going on here...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2020, 10:25 am

MrsPeel wrote:
Thanks for the replies all!
However I seem to have fallen at the first hurdle as the supermarket didn't have any organic bread.
And I'm too realistic to think I'm going to regularly bake my own.
I might have to seek out a specialty shop for it.

Could you get hold of one of those bread-making machines?
They don’t always bake that well, but they do all the mixing, kneading and proving for you: just have to use the “dough only” setting and then tip it into a tin and bung in a hot oven when it chirrups at you.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2020, 6:52 am

I had one once, years ago, but I only used it a handful of times and wasn't very impressed with the way the bread came out - which is how I know I'm probably better off finding somewhere that sells the pre-baked stuff.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2020, 6:53 am

smudge wrote:
Then I think all of your dietary needs will be solved if you buy a loaf of organic bread. Good luck with your complex task. It's just a maze having to locate such wild purchases isn't it?

Alas, poor me! Life is so hard! :lol:

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2020, 6:01 pm

MrsPeel wrote:
smudge wrote:
Then I think all of your dietary needs will be solved if you buy a loaf of organic bread. Good luck with your complex task. It's just a maze having to locate such wild purchases isn't it?

Alas, poor me! Life is so hard! :lol:

I'm sorry for snapping at you.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2020, 5:47 am

No worries.
And I found some organic bread!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2020, 8:04 am

I baked some "organic" bread.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2020, 8:17 am

Wouldn't it be even healthier to knead your organic bread by hand without a bread machine or mechanical mixer?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2020, 8:18 am

BTDT wrote:
Wouldn't it be even healthier to knead your organic bread by hand without a bread machine or mechanical mixer?
It depends on what's in that crud under your fingernails.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2020, 6:41 am

Probiotics?

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2020, 7:49 am

[quote="Fnord"]Gluten gives bread its chewy texture and "yummy" flavor.  Without gluten, bread would be more like rice-cakes -- those dry, crunchy, flavorless, abrasive hockey-pucks that scream for something to be put on them to make them fit for human consumption.

Gluten is not evil; but people who try to demonize gluten for everyone else are.
[/quote
Loooolz gulten free hockey pucks , knew immediately about those referencing rice cakes .lol :)

where ever you go ,there you are

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2020, 7:49 am

thank you for the smile.

where ever you go ,there you are

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2020, 8:13 am

MrsPeel wrote:
Probiotics?
And THAT depends on where you've last scratched yourself.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2020, 6:38 am

getting back on topic...
what do you think of this article?

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/ ... ac-disease

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2020, 9:29 am

In my opinion, studies like that just suggest things that may need to be studied, if someone is willing to pay for studies.

For instance, a well funded researcher could go into a bad neighborhood with a lot of disease and offer to put up a hundred families in identical housing, with the stipulation that half of them use nonstick cookware and the other half use cast iron cookware for ten years and see if there is really a difference. I think that a lot of new moms would jump at the chance for free housing. Most important, we would provide free healthcare to monitor the kids. And we would finally know the answer with a lot of certainty.