Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2020, 12:24 pm

About

Quote:
Asperclick was a forum founded by Willow Marsden, which ran from 2013 until 2020. It was an environment for people on the Autistic Spectrum to come together and discuss their thoughts and feelings both on and off the topic of Autism and Asperger's.

Over the years the community grew to be something really special, but as time went on and forums became less popular, the doors had to close.

Not wanting to lose all of the valuable content we shared over the years, this site was created to document some of the highlights, so hopefully, though no longer an active community like our heyday, this site will continue to provide help and support to the world of Autism.

As said another victim of the decline of forums.

It tended to attract a more British and younger demographic then Wrong Planet. I never joined and lurked there only very occasionally. From the limited amount I read it seemed a more mellow and positive place then WP.

That said I am sorry to see the place go as an ongoing active community. In my limited time there I always found it a refreshing different perspective while just as stimulating as WP.

My condolences to the regular members of that site and my best wishes to Willow in whatever the future for her holds.

She did a lot of autism and other videos. One that sticks out from many years ago is she felt a meltdown coming on filmed and posted it. While that is not something nor I would do nor expect anybody to do I gained a lot of respect for her when she did that.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2020, 8:19 am

Never even heard of "Asperclick" before.

Heard of aspie central, and "the aspie hangout". And that's it.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2020, 9:22 am

Autism forum on Reddit has 68K members,but it sucks compared to wrong planet because there are no sub forums.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2020, 9:45 am

And..oh yes...there was that site set up by whatshername. That crazy lady in Alabama who was a member of WP,but who got angry at WP and set up a rival website out of spite.Her name was [something]Mom (like "Potato Salad Mom"). Its been a while. Already cant remember her exact name. A few WPers joined. Disgruntled WPers, banned WPers, and a few curious WPers like me joined. But it never had more than a handful of members. But it was purposely copied from WP's template (with similar subforums). Doubt that it still exists. :lol:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2020, 10:47 am

naturalplastic wrote:
And..oh yes...there was that site set up by whatshername. That crazy lady in Alabama who was a member of WP,but who got angry at WP and set up a rival website out of spite.Her name was [something]Mom (like "Potato Salad Mom"). Its been a while. Already cant remember her exact name. A few WPers joined. Disgruntled WPers, banned WPers, and a few curious WPers like me joined. But it never had more than a handful of members. But it was purposely copied from WP's template (with similar subforums). Doubt that it still exists. :lol:

RightPlanet by OliveOilMom I believe.

I lurked there a few times but it quickly became apparent it was going nowhere. It was not just that it had a handful of members. I belong to a weather forum with a handful of members. That forum is often inactive, but I know if there is a storm threat the regulars will be posting away. With her site after the first few days there were no new posts and it was gone within a few months.

Setting up a new thing just because you are disgruntled with your old thing is usually a prescription for failure.

I don’t know if she is any more “crazy” then most of us.

I do think it is sad when a voice for the Autistic community goes down even if I disagree with that voice. WP is my place, it takes more than enough of my time so I have no desire to join another autistic online space. That said it was comforting that Asperclick existed so should WP have gone down or it became unpalatable to me for whatever reason Asperclick was there.

I can’t say I miss RightPlanet, it was not around long enough, but I did want it to succeed even if I probably was never going to be a member.

As it turns out Asperclick was shutdown Jan 1. Like I said in the OP I lurked there infrequently(LOL). For whatever reason I got a curiosity to check out their take on the coronavirus and that is how I found out they were a goner. That nobody else on WP noticed or mentioned it for over three months gives me a indication of why she had to close it.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 25 Apr 2020, 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2020, 11:00 am

Anyone remember Aspies for freedom,there long gone,like since 2011 or something.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2020, 11:08 am

Yes. Right Planet. Olive Oil Mom. "OOM" for short. How could I forget? :lol:

She would get overly emotional and overly sensitive about...folks getting overly emotional and overly sensitive!

To me that qualifies as kinda "crazy".

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2020, 11:18 am

vermontsavant wrote:
Anyone remember Aspies for freedom,there long gone,like since 2011 or something.

They were primarily a political organization with the forum existing to buttress the cause. It still exists as a chat room.

It is bad for the autistic community that they could not stay around. Autistics need an credible alternative to ASAN. You should feel that way even if you are a die hard ASAN supporter. Similar to Wrong Planet in that regard.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2020, 11:50 am

OOM once posted that Autism $peaks was a *good* thing. Something about her rubbed me the wrong way before, but after that post she became my enemy forever.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2020, 1:17 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:

They were primarily a political organization with the forum existing to buttress the cause. It still exists as a chat room.

It is bad for the autistic community that they could not stay around. Autistics need an credible alternative to ASAN. You should feel that way even if you are a die hard ASAN supporter. Similar to Wrong Planet in that regard.
I remember the massive influx of trolls that came to WP after Aspies for freedom folded,I never knew they still have a chat room,I was never a member there.

If I remember it AFF was very social justice warrior like,to the left of the ASAN if I remember right,they violently anti autism speaks but also had a strict policy of no "NT" bashing.

Autism speaks used to have social network forum as well,but that faded away and was mostly parents anyway,with very few autistics.I was a member there at one time but got bored with it.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2020, 7:40 am

What a shame that Asperclick was closed down. I had an account there and made a few posts.