Will trump lose the election because of Coronavirus?

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2020, 2:25 pm

Been hearing murmurs that the Trumpet is gaining support among African-Americans as well, so I'm not so sure you can just pin it on the evil whites and all their racisms.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2020, 2:43 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
Been hearing murmurs that the Trumpet is gaining support among African-Americans as well, so I'm not so sure you can just pin it on the evil whites and all their racisms.

Whatever support Trump gets from non-Whites is just orthogonal to his support from Whites, but yeah.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2020, 3:42 pm

MaxE wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
@MaxE: Interesting that you think republicans will vote by mail more. I’ve read that trump is trying to block mail in voting because he’s concerned that it will enable more people to vote that otherwise might not be able to make it to a polling station (or might avoid one due to covid) & that he knows the more people who actually vote the worse his chances.. hence the voter suppression efforts of attacking mail in voting as corrupt and attacking the post office lately as money losing etc. Seems to me he’s setting up a fight with USPS so he can try to shut it down in time for the election in hopes that more trump supporters show up in person at the polls.

I can speak from experience as we recently had a special election (for one Congressional seat) and the process requires that you notice the ballot having arrived in the mail (people in some demographics seldom check their mail and many probably just recycle it), open it, mark the ballot (in black ink please!) put it in the enclosed envelope, seal the envelope, and sign and date the envelope (along with writing your name in block letters underneath).

Without going into a lot of detail, the likelihood of a voter's compliance with that daunting procedure is directly proportional to their likelihood to vote for Trump.

I’m someone who rarely opens mail. Like once every couple months maybe. It’s mostly charities asking for donations, government asking me to pay a bill they’re no real consequence for delaying until they take my tax return money, or a monthly union update anyways.

But I was still fully aware of when we had a mail in referendum & voted. Also, following instructions on how to fill out a ballot and return it in the mail was extremely simple - like the process you described above. How could anyone consider that a daunting task? :? Especially for when it’s for something as critical as the future of one’s democracy.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2020, 3:43 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
The economy was the one thing he had going for him, and with the U.S. being in at least a big recession, if not depression, we're probably talking about a Biden presidency in '21.

A recession that real or not ha sheen placed on democrat governors shoulders not trump. Trump never did national lockdown, so he didn’t cause this recession, he did send lots of aid via stimulus bill and unemployment increases. So sorry but to people who care about the economy it looks like democrats are destroying it and trumps trying to save it.
Haven’t seen anyone blame the recession on trump. Democrats are mad he didn’t and hasn’t done a lockdown and mad he is pushing states to reopen(save the economy).

So if people voting based on economy they likely vote for trump and not democrats who are pushing to keep the lockdowns going for months longer.

I agree with the lockdowns.most his voters and conservatives value economy over lives, so this situation will just make them vote for him more so.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2020, 3:49 pm

sly279 wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
The economy was the one thing he had going for him, and with the U.S. being in at least a big recession, if not depression, we're probably talking about a Biden presidency in '21.

A recession that real or not ha sheen placed on democrat governors shoulders not trump. Trump never did national lockdown, so he didn’t cause this recession, he did send lots of aid via stimulus bill and unemployment increases. So sorry but to people who care about the economy it looks like democrats are destroying it and trumps trying to save it.
Haven’t seen anyone blame the recession on trump. Democrats are mad he didn’t and hasn’t done a lockdown and mad he is pushing states to reopen(save the economy).

So if people voting based on economy they likely vote for trump and not democrats who are pushing to keep the lockdowns going for months longer.

I agree with the lockdowns.most his voters and conservatives value economy over lives, so this situation will just make them vote for him more so.

People can very easily assign the economic damage to trump because he didn’t do a full national lockdown early in order to minimize the spread of C-19 and be able to get back to business as usual in a short time frame.

You can praise the orange cult leader all you want for encouraging states to ignore the federal guidelines for reopening (that say they should have 14+ days of declining new case numbers before considering beginning to reopen) & trying to salvage what’s left of the economy ASAP, but the results of his efforts are likely to backfire in less than a month’s time when some states that open back up for business see their corona number skyrocket because they did it too soon.. which is going to be doubly as devastating to the economy when they have the shut down tighter for longer to get things under control. Of course that Will Be trump’s fault for promoting it, but guaranteed he will blame governors for the situation in each of their states and pretend it had nothing to do with him telling them to reopen.

Wait and see. :)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2020, 5:54 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
It's going to ride on the economy and how incompetent Biden comes across as.It's really more Biden's to loose than is it Trump's to win.

^^^^
This

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2020, 6:05 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Will trump lose the election because of Coronavirus?
One can only hope ... and vote for the opposition (e.g, anyone but Trump).

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

lliam420
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Apr 2020, 7:06 pm

sly279 wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

this

plus since it appeared he built up the economy before this they'll be expecting him to fix it

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2020, 7:29 pm

A Democrat state representative thanks Trump for saving lives
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watc ... r-recovery

Be the hero of your life.