Page 3 of 5 [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2020, 11:55 am

It's my impression that a person who is a transvestite IRL could also perform as a drag queen. However it's also my impression that the overwhelming majority of drag queens are gay, whereas apparently there are a lot of hetero transvestites — it would seem this is a fetish for some straight men.

Long ago I worked in a cocktail lounge where the cashier, who was male and unapologetically gay, always wore women's clothes (although he kept his chest flat). But he didn't literally pretend to be a woman. I guess that was his style, how he expressed his sexual and gender identity. He seemed comfortable with himself although he did seem to have some psychological issues to deal with, that could have had all sorts of causation.

It can get tiresome to try to decide which cubbyhole any individual belongs in.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2020, 3:25 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

Being a dragqueen isn't the same as being a transvestite.

But I'm betting on this being a sock puppet account, so I'll just sit here and amuse myself until you implode.
The dictionary defines a dragqueen as someone who cross dresses for entertainment,a transvestite for personal pleasure.

Over so many years the terms have been used interchangeable by so many people that in 2020 colloquial English,the difference is a samantic hyper technicality.Maybe 1 percent of the population knows the difference.

Transvestites dress in the clothing of the opposite sex for sexual pleasure.

Dragqueens/dragkings perform gender via make-up, clothing, and stage acts.

Transvestites may be dragqueens/dragkings, but not all dragqueens/dragkings are transvestites. I just question the sincerity of anyone who chooses to speak as an expert in such matters, but doesn't know basic terminology.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2020, 3:33 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
XFilesGeek wrote:

Being a dragqueen isn't the same as being a transvestite.

But I'm betting on this being a sock puppet account, so I'll just sit here and amuse myself until you implode.
The dictionary defines a dragqueen as someone who cross dresses for entertainment,a transvestite for personal pleasure.

Over so many years the terms have been used interchangeable by so many people that in 2020 colloquial English,the difference is a samantic hyper technicality.Maybe 1 percent of the population knows the difference.

Transvestites dress in the clothing of the opposite sex for sexual pleasure.

Dragqueens/dragkings perform gender via make-up, clothing, and stage acts.

Transvestites may be dragqueens/dragkings, but not all dragqueens/dragkings are transvestites. I just question the sincerity of anyone who chooses to speak as an expert in such matters, but doesn't know basic terminology.
That's exactly what my post said about the proper terminology,but I pointed out in colloquial English very few people know the difference anymore after years of the terms being used interchangably.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

07 Jun 2020, 4:07 pm

Drake wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
The notion that there is one “best possible candidate” is complete fiction.

Also complete fiction that VP candidates have ever been about selecting the second best person for the Presidency. Look at some of the absolute clowns who have been selected in the past and the stronger candidates who were passed on because the candidate didn’t like them, or the candidate thought they had to appeal to a different wing of the party, or the candidate wanted someone from a particular swing state, or had a weakness in their personality that they thought the VP should cover.

Basically you can choose someone good enough or you can s**t the bed, and you can even appoint someone who isn’t good enough and get away with it (Agnew, Quayle).

Warren is very qualified but she’s also quite far left. But then Walter Mondale was by all accounts a very good VP despite being a terrible presidential candidate.

I don't know what you mean by the first line.

And the idea you're not choosing the best possible VP is nonsensical to me. I can understand choosing someone to try and boost your vote share as opposed to be the best if you're not there anymore, someone lower down the totem pole but who you still think would be capable of taking over if it came to it, but choosing a clown tells me you have no respect for the position you're trying to attain. I'm not American, but if I was, when McCain picked Palin, he would have instantly reduced his chance of getting my vote to 0. Can you imagine that bimbo as US president? I have no idea why he picked her. She didn't seem to offer anything.

Palin is probably the worst VP pick in history, electorally speaking. Most picks don’t really move the needle but she did, negatively.

I think Abrams could possibly be similar if Biden picked her. She seems a fair bit sharper than Palin but she’s never held a position above state senate.

What I mean by my first paragraph is that there is very rarely a standout candidate. There isn’t some magical perfect man who Biden is turning down because he has to have a woman. There is a very large pool of candidates who are qualified, competent, and don’t have any glaring weaknesses that would weigh the ticket down. Electorally and morally, if there’s nothing to choose between twenty people then ruling out the men seems justified.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2020, 9:51 pm

MaxE wrote:
Duckworth has appealed to me since before all the Democratic candidates had announced. I would be excited to see her selected. You could add her to the Asian list (Filipina).

Perhaps they should go to Bottoms and Abrams and ask them to decide between the two of them which should accept, given they are fellow Georgians.

I'm not convinced about Whitmer. I think she has acquired some negatives recently.

The main problem with Harris is she was a prosecutor. It was her job to put people in prison. Not what we need in this election. I think she could do the job though.

EDIT: Duckworth is actually Thai of Chinese descent on her mother's side. Not a drop of Filipino blood.

Wasn't Sen. Duckworth born in Thailand, thus making her ineligible?

I still think Sens. Sinema and Rosen should be considered.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 Jun 2020, 3:48 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
MaxE wrote:
Duckworth has appealed to me since before all the Democratic candidates had announced. I would be excited to see her selected. You could add her to the Asian list (Filipina).

Perhaps they should go to Bottoms and Abrams and ask them to decide between the two of them which should accept, given they are fellow Georgians.

I'm not convinced about Whitmer. I think she has acquired some negatives recently.

The main problem with Harris is she was a prosecutor. It was her job to put people in prison. Not what we need in this election. I think she could do the job though.

EDIT: Duckworth is actually Thai of Chinese descent on her mother's side. Not a drop of Filipino blood.

Like Ted Cruz and John McCain, Duckworth is a natural-born US citizen even though she was not born in the US.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2020, 4:11 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Drake wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
The notion that there is one “best possible candidate” is complete fiction.

Also complete fiction that VP candidates have ever been about selecting the second best person for the Presidency. Look at some of the absolute clowns who have been selected in the past and the stronger candidates who were passed on because the candidate didn’t like them, or the candidate thought they had to appeal to a different wing of the party, or the candidate wanted someone from a particular swing state, or had a weakness in their personality that they thought the VP should cover.

Basically you can choose someone good enough or you can s**t the bed, and you can even appoint someone who isn’t good enough and get away with it (Agnew, Quayle).

Warren is very qualified but she’s also quite far left. But then Walter Mondale was by all accounts a very good VP despite being a terrible presidential candidate.

I don't know what you mean by the first line.

And the idea you're not choosing the best possible VP is nonsensical to me. I can understand choosing someone to try and boost your vote share as opposed to be the best if you're not there anymore, someone lower down the totem pole but who you still think would be capable of taking over if it came to it, but choosing a clown tells me you have no respect for the position you're trying to attain. I'm not American, but if I was, when McCain picked Palin, he would have instantly reduced his chance of getting my vote to 0. Can you imagine that bimbo as US president? I have no idea why he picked her. She didn't seem to offer anything.

Palin is probably the worst VP pick in history, electorally speaking. Most picks don’t really move the needle but she did, negatively.

I think Abrams could possibly be similar if Biden picked her. She seems a fair bit sharper than Palin but she’s never held a position above state senate.

What I mean by my first paragraph is that there is very rarely a standout candidate. There isn’t some magical perfect man who Biden is turning down because he has to have a woman. There is a very large pool of candidates who are qualified, competent, and don’t have any glaring weaknesses that would weigh the ticket down. Electorally and morally, if there’s nothing to choose between twenty people then ruling out the men seems justified.

Come on. There would be ways to split them that don't have to involve arbitrary characteristics.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2020, 8:30 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
MaxE wrote:

Like Ted Cruz and John McCain, Duckworth is a natural-born US citizen even though she was not born in the US.

John McCain was born in the Panama canal zone which at the time was a US territory.He was not born within the borders of the republic of Panama.

Although Duckworth's father did work for the UN,I see nothing that gives her an American birth.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2020, 3:04 am

vermontsavant wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
MaxE wrote:

John McCain was born in the Panama canal zone which at the time was a US territory.He was not born within the borders of the republic of Panama.

Although Duckworth's father did work for the UN,I see nothing that gives her an American birth.

I’m actually confused over how that works. Michael Bennet, senator from CO and brief 2020 presidential candidate, was the son of a diplomat and born in India.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2020, 5:19 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
MaxE wrote:

I’m actually confused over how that works. Michael Bennet, senator from CO and brief 2020 presidential candidate, was the son of a diplomat and born in India.
Maybe I'm wrong,maybe if your father is a diplomat your considered born in the USA.I always thought you had to be born in the US to president.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

10 Jun 2020, 5:40 am

vermontsavant wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
MaxE wrote:

According to USCIS:
Quote:
To become a citizen at birth, you must:

Have been born in the United States or certain territories or outlying possessions of the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction of the United States; OR
had a parent or parents who were citizens at the time of your birth (if you were born abroad) and meet other requirements

https://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship

According to the State Department, the other requirements for someone with one US citizen parent, assuming the parents are married, are:
Quote:
For birth between December 24, 1952 and November 13, 1986, the U.S. citizen parent must have been physically present in the United States or one of its outlying possessions for 10 years prior to the person’s birth, at least five of which were after the age of 14 for the person to acquire U.S. citizenship at birth. The U.S. citizen parent must be the genetic or the gestational parent and the legal parent of the child under local law at the time and place of the child’s birth to transmit U.S. citizenship.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... broad.html

It seems very likely that her father spent 10 years in the US, at least five of which were after the age of 14, before Tammy was born. It also seems very likely that her parents were married - they were quite old, and it would surely have come up if they weren't married.

So it seems very likely that Duckworth was a US citizen by birth.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2020, 6:53 am

Duckworth is a US citizen. Her father was a US citizen. He was an American diplomat.

She was born a US citizen, not naturalized.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2020, 8:17 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Duckworth is a US citizen. Her father was a US citizen. He was an American diplomat.

She was born a US citizen, not naturalized.
But she was born in Bangkok ,Thailand,the constitution says the president must be born in the United States,lots of people not born in the US are citizens,I don't doubt her citizenship but she was born in Bangkok.

Back when I lived I Vermont I dated a woman who's father was a career Army man and she was born on a military base in Germany,does an Army base count as US soil,I'm not sure,but Duckworth was not born on a military base though,she was born at a civilian hospital in downtown Bangkok.

John McCain was born in Panama canal zone,then until 1979 a US territory,he was not born within the borders of The Republic of Panama.

So here father was a US citizen at the time of her birth,so what,my father was born in Seattle,does that make me a resident of Washington state.
My mother was born at the state prison for women in Framingham,Massachusetts and given up for adoption,does that make me a convict.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2020, 8:25 am

Ted Cruz was born in Canada. To an American mother who later came became Canadian citizen. His father was Cuban.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2020, 8:34 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Ted Cruz was born in Canada. To an American mother who later came became Canadian citizen. His father was Cuban.
I know Ted Cruz was born in Canada,I'm not sure what your point is,what does that have to do with Tammy Duckworth and the vice presidency.I also know his father is Cuban and that is a lot of why Cruz is so conservative,the Cuban community usually is.But what is the point.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2020, 8:43 am

My point is that Duckworth was born in Thailand to an American citizen diplomat father and a Thai mother of Chinese ancestry.

Ted Cruz was born to an American citizen mother and a Cuban father.

Duckworth lived in the US over 14 years.

She is eligible to run for President and, hence, Vice President.

That’s my point.