Covid-19 here to stay even with vaccine

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2020, 10:13 am

The debate whether to reopen society amid coronavirus pandemic has escalated quickly.

Frustration with extended quarantine in mounting on social media and residents have defied social distancing in order to attend protest rallies aimied at reopening society.

However the consensus medical view is that the Covid-19 may be here to stay even with a vaccine,the virus won't be defeated by social distancing.

Many experts say we won't return to normalcy until there is a vaccine,which is about a year away and even with a vaccine we will still see periodic outbreaks.

USA TODAY

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2020, 10:29 am

That's my gut feeling at this point. This virus will alter the way humans live, behave and interact with each other profoundly, permanently and to a degree our species hasn't experienced before. I think we're not seeing the "big picture" yet, but the way this pandemic will end up affecting humans and how we're forced to react to it has similarities to how people's lives change in other calamitous disasters.

The only way that will change is if there is a vaccine and/or medications so effective that they prevent the virus from ravaging the infected person making the symptoms more or less harmless.

I have my doubts about the above as well because I'm not convinced that this virus actually leaves the system completely. I think it's possible that once someone contracts the virus it's incurable and simply goes through phases of dormancy and outbreak. Like herpes. Or perhaps it's like HIV.

Even a year from now I think we'll be in the infancy of how we figure out how to live AC (After Covid).

modernmax
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2020, 10:33 am

Somehow I doubt people are going to obey all the rules for a year. If there's another extension and we lose summer, expect the riots to start.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2020, 10:43 am

modernmax wrote:
Somehow I doubt people are going to obey all the rules for a year. If there's another extension and we lose summer, expect the riots to start.
I would agree

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2020, 7:34 pm

This assumes the vaccine will work? at best it will keep the virus at bay for a number of months but boosters will likely be required like annual flu vaccines given COVID-19 seems to be genetically evolving all the time

Tw1ggy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Apr 2020, 8:07 pm

modernmax wrote:

Then possibly a new civil war.

I love belko61
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2020, 8:21 pm

The quarantines and self-isolation are to reduce transmission, and to maximize the number of survivors and give them best outcomes. By not overloading the medical system - whether its beds, doctors, PPE, etc. We will all have to change our habits for a long while, or risk actually losing a few percent of the population. (High rates will lessen over time as people gain immunity - hopefully). The rules are just meant to control the spread, gain us some time for a medical solution.

Runo Misaki
Raven
Raven

14 Jan 2021, 8:48 pm

I sure hope this isn't true because I don't wanna do social distancing forever. Even though I'm a shy introvert, I like going out when I have the opportunity to. Because of the pandemic, all of my clubs at university became virtual and virtual events are so boring because they're under stimulating which makes it hard to focus and also because face to face interaction makes me happier and I actually have fun. Also, I lost my camp counselor job last summer which made me feel upset and sad since I really loved that job and also because I applied for other jobs and never got hired which made me feel useless.Thank God I now have a job as an assistant daycare teacher which I love.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2021, 9:04 pm

All viruses are here to stay. The only differences are that the population becomes immune to them so they are no longer a problem.

The only reason why one would need a vaccine is that it is a way of infecting people with a safer dose of the virus so that ones body "Learns" how to cope with it without being overwealmed by it. Now tere is a period of danger that the one who is vaccinated must not come into contact with those who have not had it for a certain period of time. Now the reason for this is that one is carrying the virus or disease, and if one comes into contact with others before ones own body has dealt with it (When the virus is classed as "Live") one will be spreading the full on virus to others. With the flu jab this period was 48 hours that one was supposed to avoid contacting others. With covid, the period of time is a lot longer.
But the idea is that ones body will be able to cope with the virus in much the same way that years ago, parents used to try to give chicken pox or german measles to their children when young by finding out if anyone in the village had it, and they would take their kids to play with the child who had it. The reason foe this, was that it was better for a young child with a healthy immune systemto learn to fight the viruses off, then if they caught them later in life which could be more life threatening to them.
Vaccines do this same thing but in a much more controlled effect where one gets a partial dose, where the caccine becomes "Live" when it enters ones body and ones body then fights it off... But bear in mind a vaccine is a small dose rather then catching the virus by natural means which would be a full dose if that makes sense?

One thing I need to make clear is that anyone who has or has not had the virus will have the same potential to carry the virus, and those who have had the vaccine, will be contageous foe a certain period of time.
There sems to be the thought that if one has had the vaccine, that one can not carry the virus to infect others, and this is completely false. BUT, the advantage is if the vaccine works, then one will be fighting off the virus if it returns, but ones body already knows how to win the fight. In this way someone who has already caught the virus and survived does not ned to be vaccinated as their body has already learned how to fight it.

Fixxer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2021, 4:47 pm

Covid-19 is here to stay because the United Nation's Agenda 21 hasn't been reached yet and then goes Agenda 30 with an even more restricted lifestyle. One day at a time and do today what you can, because you might not be allowed to do it tomorrow.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2021, 4:49 pm

Fixxer wrote:
Covid-19 is here to stay because the United Nation's Agenda 21 hasn't been reached yet and then goes Agenda 30 with an even more restricted lifestyle. One day at a time and do today what you can, because you might not be allowed to do it tomorrow.

So when do we get to the hobbit holes? :nerdy:

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2021, 5:44 pm

Right now, today, restaurants are re-opening;
I think this is TERRIFYING!
Not enough people have been vaccinated, and it has been discovered that many have lies about being vaccinated at all!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2021, 11:45 pm

Here in Australia we are virtually back to normal except for the mask rule in shops in Victoria and travel restrictions between states and internationally.