Elon Musk: Gee Whiz that sounds like what an Aspie would say

Page 1 of 4 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2020, 1:22 pm

There was the following article in the news today:

Tesla CEO Elon Musk said Friday that he is “selling almost all physical possessions. Will own no house,” during a wild series of Twitter posts.

Musk continued by saying he thinks Tesla stock is too high, then folowed with “Now give people back their FREEDOM.”

He then began tweeting the lyrics to "The Star Spangled Banner."

Musk has been a harsh critic of both the global response to the coronavirus pandemic and California’s stay-at-home orders, calling them “fascist” during Tesla’s first-quarter earnings call on Wednesday.

“It’s breaking people’s freedoms in ways that are horrible and wrong and not why they came to America or built this country,” Musk said. “What the f–k? Excuse me. Outrage.”

Musk doesn't take a salary from Tesla or SpaceX, but is the top shareholder of both companies and has an estimated personal worth of $30-$40 billion. He owns several homes in California valued at over $100 million, according to The Wall Street Journal, that includes a cluster of six homes in the ritzy Bel Air neighborhood of Los Angeles.

Tesla stock plummeted over 10 percent in the immediate wake of the online outburst.

About an hour after the initial tweet storm, Musk posted that he wasn't selling everything because he needed the money, but that "posession just weigh you down" and that he is devoting himself to Earth and Mars.

He added that his girlfriend, musican Grimez, was mad at him, and that she is expecting their first child together on Monday.

Source: Elon Musk says he is selling 'all physical possessions' during wild Twitter rant
------------------------------------------
So I said to myself - Gee Whiz, that sounds like what an Aspie would say!
So I searched the Internet and many links popped up between Elon Musk and Autism/Aspergers. Here is one:

“While full-blown Asperger’s Syndrome or autism hold back careers, a smaller dose of associated traits appears critical to hatching innovations that change the world.”

He quotes Simon Baron-Cohen, director of the Autism Research Center in Cambridge:

“A typical child might just accept, ‘Okay this is just the way it’s done, this is how we do things in our culture or family.

“Someone with autism or Asperger’s, they kind of ask those why questions. They want more logical answers. Just saying ‘Well we do this just because everybody else does,’ that doesn’t meet their test of logic.”

[Matt McFarland wrote:] “Baron-Cohen says the autistic are interested in what’s called first principles, fundamental rules used to inform their decisions.

“First principle-thinking happens to be a tactic Elon Musk, the innovative leader of Tesla and SpaceX, says has contributed to his success.

“Rather than reasoning by analogy, you boil things down to the most fundamental truths you can imagine and you reason up from there,” Musk has said. “This is a good way to figure out if something really makes sense or if it’s just what everybody else is doing.”

“To be great, you can’t think like everybody else, and you probably won’t fit in to the herd. As a child Musk was bullied and beaten so badly that as an adult he struggled to breathe through his nose and needed corrective surgery.”

“John Doerr, a venture capitalist at Kleiner Perkins, who was an early investor in Google, Amazon and Netscape, has said that great entrepreneurs tend to have “absolutely no social life.” Great innovators, like those with Asperger’s, just don’t fit in.”

“You want to do things you’re passionate about but also are useful to other people. To make an embarrassing admission, I like video games. That’s what got me into software engineering when I was a kid.

“I wanted to make money so I could buy a better computer to play better video games – nothing like saving the world.

“Obviously just playing video games is not really contributing to anyone. So you want to do things that contribute to society that you also like.

“In almost any industry, if you’re passionate about doing a great job and making people that buy your product as happy as possible, it’s really fulfilling.” — Elon Musk

Source: Asperger’s: Clearly Bright and Imaginative

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2020, 3:40 pm

:heart:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2020, 3:43 pm

Never heard of him. He's cute. Is he autistic?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2020, 4:52 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

Never heard of him? 8O

Most famous for creating the Tesla car company he is one of the billionaires who run the planet (along with Gates, and Bloomberg,Buffet, the Amazon guy, etc).

He doesn't publicly identify as autistic. Which is what the OP is about.

Last edited by naturalplastic on 01 May 2020, 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2020, 4:53 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

Never heard of him? 8O

Most famous for creating the Tesla car company he one of the billionaires who run the planet (along with Gates, and Jo Bloomberg,Buffet, the Amazon guy, etc).

I had to google what a Tesla is.

Not sure who the others are, either.

I thought Warren Buffet sang Margaritaville.

Yes, I live under a rock. :roll:

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2020, 4:57 pm

I think I may have posted a comment of his long ago here that I found amusing – he said something like, "I guess I do need to find a girlfriend. How much time does a girlfriend require? Would three hours a week be enough?"

That pretty much convinced me he was an aspie. :D

There Are Four Lights!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2020, 4:58 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

Never heard of him? 8O

Most famous for creating the Tesla car company he one of the billionaires who run the planet (along with Gates, and Jo Bloomberg,Buffet, the Amazon guy, etc).

Warren Buffet is actually distantly related to ….JIMMY Buffet.

Bloomberg runs Bloomberg media, and was mayor of NYC, and this year was running for POTUS, until Lizzie Warren took a verbal axe and gave him forty whacks at a TV debate, and when the rest of the Dems saw what she had done, they all joined in and gave Bloomberg another 41- ending his run!.

Bill Gates founded Microsoft, and was a long time sometime collaborator with and sometime rival of Steven Jobs of Apple.

Last edited by naturalplastic on 01 May 2020, 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2020, 5:02 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

Never heard of him? 8O

Warren Buffet is actually distantly related to ….JIMMY Buffet.

Bloomberg run Bloomberg media, and was mayor of NYC, and run of POTUS, until Lizzie Warren took a verbal axe and gave him forty whacks at a TV debate, and when the rest of the Dems saw what she had done, they all joined in and gave Bloomberg another 41!.

Bill Gates founded Microsoft, and was a long time sometime collaborator with and sometime rival of Steven Jobs of Apple.

My sister in law actually works for people who work for Buffet. But, I thought he was the singer lolllll.....

I know Bill Gates is a rich person but I mix him up with the Apple guy (Jobs?) and can never remember which one of them is still alive / or not.

I do have some financial investments (ironically in Apple and Amazon), but I don't know anything about it and I let my advisor guy do all the work.

I couldn't really care less about people with rich and famous lifestyles for any reason, so long as they are nice people.

It will be interesting to see what happens when Musk's child is born. :P

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2020, 5:03 pm

Darmok wrote:
I think I may have posted a comment of his long ago here that I found amusing – he said something like, "I guess I do need to find a girlfriend. How much time does a girlfriend require? Would three hours a week be enough?"

Yep. The stuff in the OP doesn't seem obviously aspie, but THAT does. :lol:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2020, 5:04 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Darmok wrote:

I'm liking him more all the time. :P ^

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2020, 7:33 pm

jimmy m wrote:

[Matt McFarland wrote:] “Baron-Cohen says the autistic are interested in what’s called first principles, fundamental rules used to inform their decisions.

“First principle-thinking happens to be a tactic Elon Musk, the innovative leader of Tesla and SpaceX, says has contributed to his success.

“Rather than reasoning by analogy, you boil things down to the most fundamental truths you can imagine and you reason up from there,” Musk has said. “This is a good way to figure out if something really makes sense or if it’s just what everybody else is doing.”

I am a hardcore "Reductionist".
I wasn't aware, before, that was the mantle that the better aspies wore. 8)

BTW,
What sort of a name is "Elon". :scratch:

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2020, 7:36 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

Correction: Bill Gates *stole* Microsoft.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2020, 7:38 pm

Darmok wrote:

Agreed.

I did that equation too.
I chose not to pursue "The Dream" of having a lifetime significant other.
I dodged *that* bullet.
Thank the gods. :mrgreen:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2020, 12:17 am

Darmok wrote:

The guys been married three times and had multiple relationships and kids. He's fairly typical of billionaires who have access to women 24-7.

Like a child who owns a lolly shop trying to stick to one candy.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2020, 12:54 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Darmok wrote:

Maybe do more research. He offered a submarine to help save trapped boys in a cave that was filling with water. Unfortunately the sub wasn't suitable. Instead of just accepting that he called one of the divers who helped save the boys a 'peadophile' on Twitter.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2020, 12:59 am

hurtloam wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Darmok wrote:

Maybe do more research. He offered a submarine to help save trapped boys in a cave that was filling with water. Unfortunately the sub wasn't suitable. Instead of just accepting that he called one of the divers who helped save the boys a 'peadophile' on Twitter.

Damn. I'll have to reject him then. :wink: I was only interested because he didn't want to date more than three hours a week, which is about my maximum social ability for seeing someone. It wasn't about the money. I didn't know he's been divorced three times etc., and I'd never even heard of him before. Win some, lose some, I guess. :twisted: