Sweden the only country with Correct Approach to CVD-19

Page 7 of 13 [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 May 2020, 1:54 am

cyberdad wrote:
My argument is you need a balanced approach that prevents needless jobs losses and delays in our children's education (so its not just financial)

So far the biggest transmission vectors have been cruise ships, aeroplanes and public transport.....governments could have been more creative in stopping these vectors.

In the US Trump was more worried about building a wall to stop Mexicans yet he dawdled aimlessly for months when he should have put a wall against Chinese entering the US.

Because only the Chinese carried the virus to US, of course not white, wealthy New Yorkers coming back from a trip to Italy. [/sarcasm]

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2020, 2:19 am

magz wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
My argument is you need a balanced approach that prevents needless jobs losses and delays in our children's education (so its not just financial)

So far the biggest transmission vectors have been cruise ships, aeroplanes and public transport.....governments could have been more creative in stopping these vectors.

In the US Trump was more worried about building a wall to stop Mexicans yet he dawdled aimlessly for months when he should have put a wall against Chinese entering the US.

Because only the Chinese carried the virus to US, of course not white, wealthy New Yorkers coming back from a trip to Italy. [/sarcasm]

You can't really prevent American citizens from returning home but if Trump forced travellers to do mandatory testing then enforced self-isolation on arrival from January then that would have plugged that hole.

Action in January to block American borders would mean 100,000 Americans would still be alive.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 May 2020, 4:04 am

cyberdad wrote:
magz wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

You can't really prevent American citizens from returning home but if Trump forced travellers to do mandatory testing then enforced self-isolation on arrival from January then that would have plugged that hole.

Action in January to block American borders would mean 100,000 Americans would still be alive.

That's closer to what I think - though countries that issued such regulations - including mine - still ultimately got their own local outbreaks. Borders are not that tight and covid seems very readily transfered.
There were more bad decisions that cost lives.
But acting early seems crucial, indeed.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2020, 4:33 am

Most of the COVID in NYC came from Europe.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2020, 9:53 am

I think that Japanese culture allows for better self isolation practices without the need for heavy handed government intervention. They have vending machines everywhere. And automated restaurants without human servers. You can buy healthy pre-made and packaged meals from convenience stores.
Japan has "free" healthcare available to its citizens, foreigners, and expatriates.

Studying Japan isn't going to help much. The gap between Japan and other countries is just too great.

Testing numbers may not be as important as being able to test everyone who needs it quickly and accurately.
At the beginning of an outbreak, you only need to be able to test a few people, if you can trace who they became in contact with.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2020, 8:10 pm

Mmhmm.. their approach is so correct that their death rate per capita is nearly double that of the USA’s annnnd they’re so far away from achieving herd immunity that they’re never going to get there without a Very High death toll. Like this article says, their herd immunity strategy completely backfired:

https://www.kcra.com/article/the-price- ... s/32656814

I wonder if the OP of this thread is rethinking his opinion as expressed in the thread title? :?

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2020, 10:08 pm

^ it didn't age well, did it?

why is sweden so intent on completely destroying themselves?

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2020, 10:37 pm

I did moderate the tone of the post to say Sweden's approach has drawbacks which is understandable given the 3000 deaths,

But 70% of Swedes still support its policy...why?

Perhaps another explanation is that Sweden has a very different way of perceiving the current crisis. Instead of seeing it as a national emergency or a fight against an “invisible enemy”, there seems to be a tendency to regard coronavirus just as a serious public health problem. It is viewed as something that requires the careful observance of rules set out by health experts, rather than an existential problem that calls for the state to suspend civil liberties for the sake of national security.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2020, 12:15 am

Uuuh, that’s what every country has done.. except the rules set out by health experts in Sweden weren’t effective. They f****d up hardcore and their people are dying for it.

Seems pretty sh***y to me that 70% of their population supports their approach considering the result of it is twice the USA’s death rate. I honestly thought that more than 70% would disapprove. I know I certainly would. But then again, I don’t perceive respecting public health as taking away freedoms & civil liberties.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2020, 12:17 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
^ it didn't age well, did it?

why is sweden so intent on completely destroying themselves?

Nope.

Best I can figure is they don’t want to admit they f****d up so they’re just doubling down and sticking with what they decided so they can try to save face with their citizens.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2020, 12:36 am

goldfish21 wrote:
Uuuh, that’s what every country has done.. except the rules set out by health experts in Sweden weren’t effective. They f****d up hardcore and their people are dying for it.

Seems pretty sh***y to me that 70% of their population supports their approach considering the result of it is twice the USA’s death rate. I honestly thought that more than 70% would disapprove. I know I certainly would. But then again, I don’t perceive respecting public health as taking away freedoms & civil liberties.

I think the spirit of their approach is good but the population didn't follow advice about social distancing and particularly protection of nursing homes where the bulk of the 3000 deaths are in.

Conversely the US had lockdown + social distancing + mandatory facemasks and yet their death toll is now > 100,000 which accounts for 28% of all deaths globally from the pandemic. Hardly a ringing endorsement. At least the Swedes enjoyed individual freedoms and minimal job losses.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2020, 1:20 am

cyberdad wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

I think the spirit of their approach is good but the population didn't follow advice about social distancing and particularly protection of nursing homes where the bulk of the 3000 deaths are in.

Conversely the US had lockdown + social distancing + mandatory facemasks and yet their death toll is now > 100,000 which accounts for 28% of all deaths globally from the pandemic. Hardly a ringing endorsement. At least the Swedes enjoyed individual freedoms and minimal job losses.

Hard to protect nursing homes when employees are out and about amongst people not distancing. No idea if people were allowed to continue visiting seniors homes there or ??

USA did too little too late AND many Americans completely ignored rules & guidelines and continue to do so. The USA is a terrible example of a country that successfully implemented lockdown measures to mitigate the virus. There are, however, other examples around the world where governments put hard rules in place And people abused by them and thus the net results are low death tolls.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2020, 3:26 am

goldfish21 wrote:
There are, however, other examples around the world where governments put hard rules in place And people abused by them and thus the net results are low death tolls.

Before you go on any further the countries you were about to praise (e.g. Germany, South Korea, Singapore and Taiwan) experienced a resurgence/spoke in deaths when they removed/lessened the lockdowns in their country.

Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2020, 4:52 am

Sweden views it in absolute numbers, not ratios. The total number is still low compared to other European countries. They also have a strong belief in the central bureaucracy to which the institute of public health belongs (the one basically in charge of the covid response). Rather than criticising it, it is deemed near infallible and instead foreign statistics are doubted. There might also be a sense of public pride involved since the bureaucreats belong to the "general public" - they are not politicians.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2020, 4:59 am

Singapore, Taiwan, Germany, and South Korea experienced spikes....but relatively minor ones.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

28 May 2020, 5:21 am

cyberdad wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
There are, however, other examples around the world where governments put hard rules in place And people abused by them and thus the net results are low death tolls.

Before you go on any further the countries you were about to praise (e.g. Germany, South Korea, Singapore and Taiwan) experienced a resurgence/spoke in deaths when they removed/lessened the lockdowns in their country.

South Korean "spikes" are of the order of 40 new infections a day in a country of 50 million.
I wish we had such "spikes" here.