anyone on ADHD meds? (Moving my topic post to this forum)

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

love2connect
Raven
Raven

03 May 2020, 9:37 pm

Hey all, I just saw that it was okay to talk about ADHD here. I thought I might get more answers here.

Trying to make long story short, I do not know if I am on the autism spectrum but I do certainly know that my mind is neurodiverse, which is why I find great comfort here sometimes.
I found out a year ago that I have been struggling with generalised epilepsy. I've had it ALL of my life and therefore, it affected the way that my brain functions. I am now on the appropriate med for it but I wonder if I am getting symptoms of ADHD and fatigue.

Some of the symptoms (not necessarily bound to ADHD/ADD) I notice - I cannot switch from one subject to another. I have to literally do one subject one day and another subject the next day. My motivation is sometimes there, sometimes absent, but I cannot get myself to really do any work. When I do end up forcing myself to work, it feels very empty and I am only half present, the rest of me is zoned out. I have a lot of trouble organizing information into the correct categories. (This one is not a huge problem, I think my mind just wants to know the 'why' behind why things are grouped together. But it would be nice if I could organize a bit better). There are probably more that I am missing but I honestly do not know a great deal about ADHD/ADD.

Well, my question is,
Do you take stimulant medication and does it help you? I am curious what stimulants can be like for the neurodiverse mind.
I might have to take it anyway for the massive fatigue I keep experiencing. But I am a little scared. I have a video appointment with my psychiatrist tomorrow and I hope she knows how to help.

ysuae
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 May 2020, 12:08 am

I've struggled with fatigue a lot and it can be scary to feel like my brain isn't working when I need it to. I do take stimulants and they're helpful for getting myself going and staying focused throughout the day.

Stimulants might help you, so it's totally worth asking about. Is there anything else that could be causing your fatigue? I've found that there are a lot of things that can cause my fatigue and it's sometimes difficult to understand. For example, hunger, stressful thoughts, boredom, worrying, focusing too much, etc.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2020, 12:30 am

I have epilepsy and was 40 before it was diagnosed. I was 60 when I was diagnosed with ASD and 61 when I was diagnosed with ADHD. I take medicine for epilepsy and have tried many over the years. Ive been on Keppra for a few years now with no problem. I take Vyvanse for ADHD and I am much less tired now. I am much better at getting things done. Not completely better, I find there is a wall between me and some tasks. I have a couple of emails from around Christmas time that I need/want to respond to. I have an assignment due at the end of this month that I haven’t started. Don’t know which “ailment” that this wall falls under!

All of that to say, the ADHD med helps a lot.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2020, 11:48 pm

Hey, I've been taking dexamphetamine for 15 years and have found they're the most benign medication I've ever taken. I take 7 each day, though on weekends when I'm not doing much, I won't take any.

I don't know how taking stimulants will affect your epilepsy.

I have inattentive ADHD and when I don't have my meds I'm really lacking in motivation. I get barely anything done. I also sleep a lot. So stimulants are good for me.

Good news for me is that Vyvanse will become available for adults at a cheaper price in the next 6 months. Just one pill a day, so easy.