Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2020, 4:04 pm

Sometimes for no obvious reason memories are triggered which involve sights, smells ans some sort of atmosphere of past places or scenes.

A few days ago something triggered a shop I used to occasionally call in (Not that often) where not much was for sale but he made a few model railway related electronic based gadgets. Now the buisiness was not in the shop for that long as he didn't have much to sell, but it had a certain atmosphere about it. A certain smell or "Feel" to it that I can't put into words but immediately when something triggered it, I smelt the same smell and I had a flash of the memory of that past experience.
Yet if I think about the place now, I don't have the smell and can't remember what the smell was. I do remember it visually though.

It makes me think what triggered it? I was about a quarter of a mile away from the place when it happened, but I was not thinking about it at the time. Maybe the area has a smell to it and I smelt a waft of that smell which gave me the memory of the place?
Smells... Certain smells do trigger shutdowns to me so maybe I am extra sensitive to smell? But I don't think I am because some peoples noses work better then mine.

There are things that bring back memories to me. A day where there is a lot of rain I think as Hornby weather as it brings a memory of a scene from the 1978 Hornby catalogue which I would love to see again. It is of a boy looking into a shop window while it is pouring with rain and he sees a Hornby trainset (I believe he was pointing at the LMS duchess trainset with the four coaches. Wanted that set as a kid but it was way over my parents budgets! Some lucky kids must have had them!)
But when I see beautiful heavy rainy weather with just the right shade of light it comes to my mind "Hornby weather!"

Other rain around an area with a certain green shade of grass reminds me of the area around a certain castle known as Carreg Cennan in Wales. Other rain reminds me of exciting trips in the car!
I love rain!! !

But how smells or sights or something that triggers something else... I may not know what triggers the first initial past scene... But when it happens, the smells, sights, feel all come back to me for that brief exciting moment as if I was there, and yet I'm not there.

Another issue I have is that change takes a long time to adapt. I can be looking for a place or think that my local town is still like it was many years ago and be dissapointed that it has changed. I can start to go to visit a shop and my Mum reminds me that it closed 20 years ago! (She exaggerates as it is more like 15). But I wonder if I am alone in this happening? I wonder if a town centre re-development can throw others off too where they more then miss how it used to be?

Another strange thing is that I can be thinking of a scene where at first I think where it is, but then realize it was on a game I used to play via a past games system that I no longer have... Or a past online game etc.

It makes me think that we can even miss or have memories of places that we were not physically there!

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2020, 4:08 pm

I remember as a young child where we used to make a small eyehole in a shoe box, and decorate the box to make it look like a room (Colour it in etc) and from the top while the viewer looked at the scene we would drop a little ghost in made from paper or card and probably fastened to a pencil to drop it down... Just a fun thing. Is just a fun past memory of what we used to do as children for our amusement!