Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2020, 7:48 am

How people have conversations

Callafiriel
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 May 2020, 8:35 am

I just watched this one this morning when it showed up on my recommendations page.

Did you find it helpful at all?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2020, 9:43 am

The Hidden Rules of Conversation

1. Avoid unnecessary details; don't sidetrack. For example, if the time something happened isn't important, don't waste time getting it right.

2. Don't ask another question before the first one has been answered. If you ask how someone's children are, don't jump in with your family health before she has answered.

3. Do not interrupt another while he is speaking. Also, try to make your story short, giving the other person a chance to speak and not interrupt.

4. Do not contradict, especially if it's not important. You are inserting unnecessary details into the person's story. "The person who contradicts, frequently restates the matter in another way."

5. Do not do all the talking. Ask questions to find out what you both have in common.

6. Don't always be the hero of your story, however, the story should have a hero. Build up others as well as yourself.

7. Choose a subject of mutual interest. Draw the person's interests out and don't "hinge the conversation on politics when it should be on potatoes or on poetry."

8. Be a good listener. You will naturally become one if you follow the above rules.

9. The conversation should be in harmony with the surroundings. Do not "talk about cheese when the moon would be a more fitting topic." Also, don't discount the appropriateness of silence.

10. Do not exaggerate. Not everything is "the best", "the worst", or "the funniest."

11. Do not misquote. "Use the quotation for the occasion; do not make an occasion for the quotation."

12. Cultivate tact. Do not be untruthful, but also don't feel the need to be hurtful. Do not say someone looks unwell, sick, or tired. This will do nothing to further conversation and only make the person uncomfortable. Don't hint at it either by asking if she had a long night. Remember silence is an option. "Say the right thing, or say nothing."

Source:
The Art of Conversation.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2020, 10:55 am

Callafiriel wrote:
I just watched this one this morning when it showed up on my recommendations page.

Did you find it helpful at all?

I understand this stuff already. Just thought it was a good explanation.

I like this guy's channel.

quite an extreme
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2020, 6:54 pm

It's neither good nor really important what he tells. Or as he self says "giving to much information is strange." But the most important communication happens nonverbal. People who don't even think while talking are most likely babblers. Just disable the sound and look what he does. He tries to make it looking more important by using his body language and especially gestures. He does it in an as obvious way like being afraid that nobodody ever likes to listen him. He could be right with this. :mrgreen:
A self confident guy would prefere to a different positure. His gestures would be lower, more open and slower. The elbows would be more away from the body and he wouldn't be afraid to move his shoulders a bit at all. He would speak slower. And the people would be more likely listen. But people and especially men care most of all leader gestures. They do this the same today as they did in stoneage.

Here a bit about gestures if it comes to women

Here a sample for a guy who does better and is more likely to be taken seriously regardless what he says