Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Hokieman7
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 May 2020, 12:49 am

I seem to have issues with perceiving and being perceived. What is being actually being said or done will too often be mistaken for something that it's not when I interact with a person.I think I am most often doing the best that I can do to solve an issue that pops up because of perseption. I know I may have something going on with sensory processing disorder and am unsure of all the symptoms that I do have and what things are just things a normal person will also experience. I often feel that I am forced to endure what is going on and I fear that normal people just don't get it enough to not think that I am being mean.Any effective coping strategies that anyone suggests, any way of convincing myself that I am not evil(I know I'm not evil but people I interact with don't seem to me to figure that out) or mean( I know I'm not mean but people don't understand that when I feel something is ridiculous or mean I'm not being mean)would be much appreciated if it ends up bringing my focus and not on the negative emotions and negatives but on enjoying what I do have with positive emotions like I feel in my heart is the absolute and best way in life.I mean really, I know of just one person personally who ever does and gets(Really society!?) the enjoyment sort of thing.Most people just complain and bicker.Why, why force me to participate in that dispicable behavior.Why force me to endure the mental torture and just TAKE it without protest?I've had to endure this and perception mistake issues for all my 37 years on this Earth and Yeah, anyway please help me I can't live this way anymore!

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2020, 7:33 pm

Hello. If your sensory processing issues are making communication difficult, you need to avoid communicating in environments that negatively stimulate you.

If you end up in those environments anyhow, you can let people know that you are having difficulty thinking/listening/whatever, and then ask them to either put the conversation off until another time or do the best you can to communicate. You can prepare scripts so you don't have to think of what to say in those situations (such as: "I'm over/under-stimulated right now and having trouble thinking. Can we talk about this some other time?")

You can preface your comments/questions with disclaimers such as: "I don't mean to be rude, but...," "If you feel comfortable telling me, I'd like to know...," "I can't think of a better way to say this, so please don't be offended, but..." etc.

When it comes to interacting with strangers or acquaintances, I just try to remain polite, stick to whatever business we are conducting (such as checking out at the store), and not worry too much about how people perceive what I say. As long as you aren't deliberately being an as*hole, the worst you can do is make a mistake; everything else is just a matter of opinion (not inherently wrong or right). There's not much you can do to alter the way someone interprets what you say except to correct that person if the misinterpretation is mentioned.

People you are close to, on the other hand, it's a good idea to tell them something about how you communicate and what kinds of struggles you have when you communicate.