Is it possible to do research under a pseudonym?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Substantially_Abstract
Raven
Raven

07 May 2020, 8:32 am

Due to being born in an affair, I had to take my mom's (at that time) husband's last name. And then, thinking it was too troublesome, she didn't change it.

Basically, all my life I had to go under a false name, my despise of which only grows by the days. I fear fame, under that name.

And yet, I do not want this to go between me and my dream of becoming a scientist (or science-fiction writer). I do not know, if/when I will get to changing my name, (am horrible at paperwork/documents), so does anyone here know, if it is possible to at least do research under a pseudonym?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2020, 8:41 am

Substantially_Abstract wrote:
... does anyone here know, if it is possible to at least do research under a pseudonym?
What kind of research?  If all you need to do is go to a library and look up historical events and issues, then you may not even need a library card.

But if you need to apply for research grants, then you would need to either (a) use your own name, (b) use the name of the chief researcher, (c) use the name of the research group, (d) change your name, or (e) leave your name off the research paper entirely.

Options a and d will get you some credit for the research, options b and c might get you a share of monetary profits from the research, while option e almost guarantees you remaining in obscurity.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

07 May 2020, 8:58 am

Some researchers I know use particular versions of their names for research publications - not always the same as appears in documents, there are simplifications, latinizations and maiden names.
I don't really know how it's done formally. I think they just do it and within the community, they are recognized by these pseudonyms. Even I get by with two versions of my first name (thought I try to make it more consistent).

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2020, 9:27 am

Not sure what pseudonyum is, but why not make up a name instead and use that?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2020, 9:32 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
Not sure what pseudonyum is, but why not make up a name instead and use that?
You're joking, right?  "Pseudo" means "false", and "nym" means "name" -- "Pseudo" + "nym" = "False name".

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Eurythmic
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2020, 10:11 pm

Basically, all my life I had to go under a false name, my despise of which only grows by the days. I fear fame, under that name.

If you're unhappy with the name and toying with the thought of using pseudonyms, you could always legally change your name to one you like. First, middle and surnames are all able to be changed at the same time. Each country has various agencies which handle this and it seems to be a straight forward process to do as long as your intention isn't to deceive.

In Australia, approach the office of Births Deaths and Marriages in your state. The cost is in the order of a couple of hundred dollars.
In the UK seek out a document called a "Deed Poll", complete it and have it witnessed and then register it at the local court house.
In the USA it procedure varies depending on the state you are in, usually it's a case of approaching the local court, completing some paperwork and pay a fee to have it filed.

Having a formal change of name completed means you can have your new name used on all documentation including driver's licence, bank documents and all of your bills. It reflects the new name which you choose to be known in the community and provides consistency with any academic documents you may publish.

Substantially_Abstract
Raven
Raven

08 May 2020, 3:47 am

Thank you, for the advice. Would I then also have to change old documents, like from my university/school and certificates for awards? Also, how long does it usually take?

Eurythmic
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2020, 8:36 pm

Yes, once you've changed your legal name you can request that existing documents are amended to reflect your new name.

I've never been through the process so don't know how long it takes, and each different local authority/university is probably different with their turn around time.

In your first post you also mentioned that you are bad with paperwork/documents, considering scientists spend most of their time studying and documenting, paperwork (which is now mostly computer based) makes up a fair bit of the job. It's worth considering if documentation is something you could brush up on to help with career plans. My first qualification after school was to do a science degree, I spent 3 years between the ages of 18-21 with my head in books and lecture notes, writing assignments and at the end of each semester sitting exams. Something worth considering if you're looking to a career in science.

Gromit
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2020, 5:58 am

Thank you, for the advice. Would I then also have to change old documents, like from my university/school and certificates for awards?

I don't think so. The name under which you publish does not have to match your legal name. I read of a Japanese scientist who had started publishing before she got married. Japan, at the time of the article, mandated that a woman must take her husband's name. To maintain the link between work published before and after marriage, the scientist continued publishing under her maiden name. The article said it can create problems when she travels to an international conference, is asked by border control to prove that, and the name on the conference programme doesn't match the name on her passport.

There is also the precedent of William Sealy Gosset, who published under the name Student because it was a condition of his employment with Guiness that he not publish under his own name: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Sealy_Gosset

I have never heard of a scientific journal to ask for proof that the name under which you publish is your legal name. Mostly they don't need to, because most people who submit to scientific journals work at universities or other institutions, and I guess the journals trust those to take care of ID. I don't know whether there are additional rules for private individuals.

Substantially_Abstract
Raven
Raven

20 Sep 2021, 12:27 am

Thank you all for the information! :D