Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2020, 6:49 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Pepe wrote:
You are a theist(?)/spiritualist(?)

I don't see the relevance of this to anything you quoted.

Better yet - lets both drop this one because neither one of us are actually having an 'I' experience - matter doesn't do that.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privelege of owning yourself" - Rudyard Kipling

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2020, 3:35 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Pepe wrote:

We will never see eye-to-eye.
There is no profit in my reading about your philosophical gurus.
I have pointed this out before.

I choose to rely on my own life experience,
Rather than being an acolyte of others.
I have always found this need to follower someone odd.
I guess that is the aspie in me. <shrug>

And one more thing,

Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2020, 3:42 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Pepe wrote:

Better yet - lets both drop this one because neither one of us are actually having an 'I' experience - matter doesn't do that.

Sometimes I come across a sentence that makes no sense to me.
Your comment here is one of them.
I am not blaming you.
I just wonder what I am missing in my cognitive process which disallows my cracking the code on your conceptual offering. <shrug>

I have mentioned to you, a number of times, that we seem to use a different "dialect".

And one more thing,

Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8)

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2020, 9:06 am

I'm going to have to recommend self-inquiry on that, not because I don't feel like explaining myself but because I get the sense that it will only reveal its meaning to you when it can be shoe-horned into some structure that you already have to slot things into in the belief systems that you hold.

That you're a reductive materialist isn't even the problem, I'm seeing the more fundamental issue being an allergy to abstraction. There are plenty of reductive materialists I can have great conversations with on a lot of great topics.

The other piece - about being a theist or a spiritualist, I suppose someone could try shoehorning anyone into one of those categories whose not a reductive materialist as a reducto ad absurdum but then whether that achieves the desired result has everything to do with whether that's the intent (ie. you're x - prove me wrong), if it's not that though it ends up being a failure to connect with what people actually believe or are willing to defend. If a 'spiritualist' is anyone who believes that consciousness likely exists in some mode outside of brains then that's a private definition as spiritualism, as most people understand it, is a 19th century movement with churches dotting the landscape.

We could maybe talk more later about where I think I'd land but I think it's somewhere really in no-man's land between science, philosophy, and certain mystical structures that attempts to work through what empirically makes sense based on observation but really holds no fundamental loyalties to any. I'm having a dialog with reality really and whatever structures I find to be incorrect I eliminate, any structures I find to be correct that weren't previously in my portfolio I add.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privelege of owning yourself" - Rudyard Kipling