What's a good way to do cardio exercise?

Page 2 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2020, 8:47 pm

Well when you buy bike do you feel a huge burning work out in your heart, as if you have been jogging for 30 minutes, or is that not do-able on a bike?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2020, 8:57 pm

ironpony wrote:
Okay thanks. It's just it takes about 3 seconds to run up the biggest hill where I live. I gave it a shot but it feels like the heart is not being worked out cardio wise, very much, because it's only 3 seconds at a time. Unless I am missing something?

if your knees and other joints can take it, spring up and down the hill until you are winded, then coast for 3 times as long, repeat 8 times.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2020, 8:58 pm

ironpony wrote:
Well when you buy bike do you feel a huge burning work out in your heart, as if you have been jogging for 30 minutes, or is that not do-able on a bike?

if you climb hills on that bike, then yes, or you sprint as long as you can, then coast, then repeat 8 times.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2020, 10:45 pm

Oh okay thanks. It's just since it only takes 3 seconds to get up the hill, my body has breaks in between so it's hard to get the cardio up high, when constantly taking breaks every 3 seconds, I find.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2020, 10:58 pm

ironpony wrote:
Oh okay thanks. It's just since it only takes 3 seconds to get up the hill, my body has breaks in between so it's hard to get the cardio up high, when constantly taking breaks every 3 seconds, I find.

you don't have to take breaks every 3 seconds on those hills, you can keep moving until you have made your heart rate elevate into the aerobic zone.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2020, 1:25 am

But if I go up the hill, and then slow down while going down to avoid strain on the knees, that's a break though, because I am slowing down on the way down. I can't get my cardio up, if I keep slowing down every 3 seconds, can I?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2020, 1:27 am

ironpony wrote:
But if I go up the hill, and then slow down while going down to avoid strain on the knees, that's a break though, because I am slowing down on the way down. I can't get my cardio up, if I keep slowing down every 3 seconds, can I?

here is a hint that helps me and my own knees, i go down the hill backwards. that is harder than it sounds, in terms of maintaining balance.

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2020, 5:28 pm

Okay thanks. Well I tried this and I'm still not getting much of a cardio work out from doing this though because the hill keeps ending after 3 seconds, and then I slow down on the way down, which prevents me from getting as much cardio.

Am I doing something wrong?

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2020, 6:24 pm

ironpony wrote:

It is very do-able on a bike. Climb a few miles if steep hills or cruise at 30 to 40mph on the flat. You will soon get the lungs and heart going!

ironpony
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2020, 6:30 pm

Okay thanks, but I tried this one the mic but it's not working. The flat doesn't work because pedaling is too easy on flat, so easy that the work out doesn't seem to be very effective in the heart.

On hills it doesn't work because the hill ends too soon, and then you have a short break before turning around and going up again, so the heart does not get as pumped up as a result.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2020, 12:28 am

ironpony wrote:
Okay thanks, but I tried this one the mic but it's not working. The flat doesn't work because pedaling is too easy on flat, so easy that the work out doesn't seem to be very effective in the heart.

On hills it doesn't work because the hill ends too soon, and then you have a short break before turning around and going up again, so the heart does not get as pumped up as a result.

as an experiment, jump rope as hard and long as you can and see if your heart rate doesn't soon go into the aerobic zone.