Black Ambulance Officer Shot at home

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2020, 3:21 am

In yet another senseless killing, police break into the home of an African American ambulance officer and shot her dead.

Three narcotics officers entered the home without knocking or identifying themselves as police.
Ms Taylor's boyfriend Kenneth Walker opened fire on police, believing them to be burglars.
The three officers responded by shooting 20 times, hitting Ms Taylor eight times, and peppering a neighbouring apartment where a five-year-old child was sleeping.

Louisville Police said the raid was in connection to a drug investigation, but no illegal narcotics were found at the home. Neither Ms Taylor or Mr Walker had criminal records, and he owned the firearm legally.

According to the lawsuite against the police officers "Breonna had committed no crime, posed no immediate threat to the safety of the defendants and did not actively resist or attempt to evade arrest prior to being repeatedly shot and killed by the defendants,"
https://www.9news.com.au/world/breonna- ... 26238fb7ea

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2020, 3:32 am

The boyfriend opened fire so they fire 20 times and 8 bullets hit her?

American police continuing their proud tradition of compensating for staggering incompetence with wildly excessive use of force...

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2020, 4:23 am

Posted this because no action has been taken against the police involved. 2 months gone....

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2020, 10:31 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
The boyfriend opened fire so they fire 20 times and 8 bullets hit her?

American police continuing their proud tradition of compensating for staggering incompetence with wildly excessive use of force...

No bullets hit the boyfriend ?

Be the hero of your life.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2020, 10:35 am

Police had a "no knock" warrant signed by a judge.

For No knock warrants:
-Police do not wear body cams
-Police do not knock (obviously)
-Police do not have to identify themselves

However, police said officers did knock, and did identify themselves.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 181690002/

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2020, 7:10 pm

TheRobotLives wrote:

I imagine without cameras it boils down to the surviving boyfriend's testimony versus the officers. Now it makes sense why no action has been taken. The officers just have to stick to the story they knocked on the door like mormons rather than storm the property like SWAT.

TheRobotLives
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2020, 9:17 pm

cyberdad wrote:
TheRobotLives wrote:

I imagine without cameras it boils down to the surviving boyfriend's testimony versus the officers. Now it makes sense why no action has been taken. The officers just have to stick to the story they knocked on the door like mormons rather than storm the property like SWAT.

The neighbors say the police did not knock or identify themselves.

The boyfriend is being charged with attempted murder.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2020, 1:34 am

So both parties are at fault? I thought US citizens were allowed to protect their homes if people break in with guns blazing?

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2020, 2:00 am

"We went to the trouble of specifically getting a warrant that excempts us from having to knock or identify ourselves as police, but we definitely did that anyway for some reason…"

That checks out...

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2020, 2:08 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
"We went to the trouble of specifically getting a warrant that excempts us from having to knock or identify ourselves as police, but we definitely did that anyway for some reason…"

That checks out...

Licence to kill?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2020, 9:21 pm

The victim was an EMT. One less healthcare worker on the frontline against Covid19.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2020, 9:23 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
The victim was an EMT. One less healthcare worker on the frontline against Covid19.

That's precisely why I posted this story. One less healthcare worker dying to systemic institutional incompetence and racism

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2020, 3:24 pm

LMPD firing Det. Brett Hankison for misconduct night Breonna Taylor was killed

Quote:
Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer announced Friday that Chief Robert Schroeder has initiated termination proceedings for Det. Brett Hankison.

Hankison is one of three officers involved in the shooting death of 26-year-old Breonna Taylor in March.

Fischer says he and Schroeder are unable to answers questions about the timing or reasoning for his pre-termination due to a state law, but the memorandum on his firing lays it out.

According to his pre-termination letter, he is being fired over his actions the night of Taylor's death.

The letter says he violated two standard operating procedures: obedience to rules and regulations and use of deadly force.

Based upon my review, these are extreme violations to our policies. I find your conduct a shock to the conscience,"
Schroeder writes in the memorandum.

He said Hankison showed indifference to the value of human life when he fired 10 rounds into Taylor's apartment, which went into a patio door and window that were covered, preventing him from verifying there was an immediate threat.

Schroeder also writes that Hankison was reckless as rounds went into a neighbors apartment.

His letter concludes by saying, "You have never been trained by the Louisville Metro Police Department to use deadly force in this fashion. Your actions have brought discredit upon yourself in the department. Your conduct has severely damaged the image of our Department we have established within our community. The result of your actions seriously impedes the Department’s goal of providing the citizens of our city with the most professional law enforcement agency possible. I cannot tolerate this type of conduct by any member of the Louisville Metro Police Department. Your conduct demands your termination.”

Sadiqa Reynolds, president and CEO Louisville Urban League, responded to the decision shortly after.

"This is a long overdue first step toward justice. We must also understand how an officer like Hankison makes it onto the merit board, given his troubled history with operating procedure," she said. “It is right that he would be fired for killing Breonna and if justice had to be delayed we are thankful that it started on Juneteenth. We are not where we should be but we have started the March to justice.”

So far, no action has been taken against the other two officers involved: Sgt. Jon Mattingly and Det. Myles Cosgrove. None of the three have been charged.

Mattingly was also shot that night by Kenneth Walker, Taylor's boyfriend. Officials say Walker fired the first shot. Walker says he fired because he thought police were intruders.

The officers were at her apartment that night serving a warrant. Records show a controversial no-knock warrant had been requested. Those have since been banned through the passing of "Breonna's Law."

Protesters have been on the streets of Louisville and beyond for more than three weeks straight calling for the officers involved to face consequences in her death.

WLKY reached out to Fraternal Order of Police President Ryan Nichols. He says he will not be issuing a statement, and that he's unsure at this point what Hankison will do.

Hankison is also under investigation by an FBI-led task force for sex assault allegations.

Hankison joined LMPD in January of 2003 and promoted to narcotics in 2016. He's earned 43 letters of commendation and was given the exceptional merit award in 2013.

As Sadiqa mentioned, Hankison was also a member of the Louisville Police Merit Board, which reviews disciplinary appeals. They mayor asked that he be removed from it last week.

The mayor said Friday that he and Schroeder are unable to answer any further questions about the termination due to state law.

Prior to this, Fischer has repeatedly stated he was not able to fire the officers because of the way state law is written and because of the terms of the contract between the FOP and the city, he cannot fire the officers before the investigation is complete.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman