Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2020, 1:00 am

Mom of child with autism pleads with TikTok to remove ‘Autism Challenge’ videos

Quote:
TikTok challenges are usually fun and trendy, but one of the latest to go viral on the platform is turning heads for all the wrong reasons. Now many are protesting the videos and demanding they be removed.

Participants in the “Autism Challenge” uploaded videos of themselves dancing to a song uploaded by user @zanayasligh while making hand gestures and mocking people with disabilities.

In one of the videos, a mother and daughter participate in the offensive dance craze together, making inappropriate faces and pretending to be disabled. Other users posted their own versions of the challenge, sparking outrage across the platform, as well as on Twitter.

Mom Kate Swenson, creator of Finding Cooper’s Voice, a website where she shares her family’s journey with a child with severe autism, blasted TikTok users who took part in the challenge and urged the platform to remove the videos in a post on Facebook.

“My video has received nearly 2,500 comment(s) and almost all have been
positive in the sense that they are sickened and shocked by this
trend,” Swenson told The Daily Dot via email. “People can’t believe that anyone would use their energy to make fun, bully and humiliate, individuals with disabilities.”

Others expressed similar shock and outrage.

Many alerted TikTok’s Twitter account of the offensive content.

Eventually, TikTok users began uploading videos with the same sound criticizing those who are taking part in the challenge.

Now, the videos of users expressing outrage over the challenge have taken over the sound.

For some, the offensive videos being drowned out by criticism still isn’t enough: They want TikTok to take action.

TikTok has yet to respond to the challenge, and many of the original videos remain on the platform.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2020, 8:13 am

What's next, "TikTok's Blackface Challenge"?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2020, 8:36 am

Terrible.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2020, 8:55 am

Tic Tok is the biggest haven for trolls,they monitor and ban inappropriate content the way youtube,you have to be careful what you say on youtube because they will shut down your channel.

Tic Tok is the wild west of video social media and attracts the bizarre

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2020, 2:57 pm

TikTok has admitted to suppressing videos from people with disabilities (and not even disabilities, just basically people who didn't look "normal"), so I doubt they'll care enough to do anything about this.

https://slate.com/technology/2019/12/tiktok-disabled-users-videos-suppressed.html
"TikTok, a social network video app with more than 1 billion downloads globally, admitted Tuesday to a set of policies that had suppressed the reach of content created by users assumed to be “vulnerable to cyberbullying.” As examples of users “susceptible to bullying or harassment,” the policy listed people with facial disfigurement, autism, Down syndrome, and “Disabled people or people with some facial problems such as birthmark, slight squint and etc.”"

"The admission came after the German site Netzpolitik reported that TikTok asked moderators to watch 15-second videos and decide if the creator looked like the type of person others might want to bully. If so, moderators were instructed to add flags to the accounts of these “vulnerable” users. These flags would stop their videos from being shown to audiences outside their home countries and, in some cases, would even prevent their videos from appearing in other users’ feeds. A list of flagged users obtained by Netzpolitik included people with and without disabilities, whose bios included hashtags like #fatwoman and #disabled or had rainbow flags and other LGBTQ identifiers."

There's also other articles detailing this, so if someone has an issue with Slate I could link them, but this went into more detail about what was being suppressed.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2020, 5:20 pm

people who use tiktok are probably in fact, challenged themselves

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2020, 5:13 am

Haley Moss has weighed in
As an autistic person, the offensive #AutismChallenge TikTok trend reinforced my decision to stay away from the app

Quote:
For people with disabilities, navigating social media is complicated; on one hand, it's a powerful teaching tool and a place to find a sense of belonging and build community. On the other hand, it publicly exacerbates the stereotypes and challenges associated with being disabled.

As an autistic person who has been involved in the online autism and disability communities for over a decade, social media is inextricably part of my life. I credit social media with going viral and giving me a platform to talk about autism and disability on my own terms. Sometimes I share neurodiversity memes on my Instagram stories, or I write something more personal or share something about my family. Usually, people are pretty nice and encouraging, often thanking me for informing their perspective. At the same time, being disabled on social media opens the door to bullying from strangers or people who don't know how autism affects my daily life. Although people incorrectly label autism as a childhood-only disability, I don't use TikTok to connect with teenage audiences, mostly because I felt the platform could be a misstep for me as a young lawyer — judges should never have to consider ruling on my dance moves or ability to make viral videos.

Besides, TikTok's policies have been offputting when it comes to promoting and moderating disability content. To curb bullying, TikTok had policies relating to vulnerable people including those with Down syndrome, autism, and other disabilities, though policies don't always protect the very people they purport to. Similar to how I use other social media, some disabled influencers use TikTok to educate others. But, the platform previously admitted it suppressed content made by disabled creators, citing its anti-bullying policy and saying that disabled users, along with fat and queer users, were vulnerable to cyberbullying and susceptible to harassment.

Autistic people like me are susceptible to harassment offline and online; a survey from the Kennedy Krieger Institute reported that nearly 63% of children on the autism spectrum have been bullied. Despite classifying autistic and disabled users as vulnerable to bullying, a harmful trend dubbed the #AutismChallenge took off. In the challenge, users would dance to audio uploaded by user @zanayasligh. The audio itself makes fun of difficulties that disabled folks may have with speech and movement, and the dance mocks the ways autistic and disabled people express themselves through facial expressions or gestures.

Autistic people like me use our bodies to communicate, sometimes through behaviors that bring us comfort or input to deal with the overwhelmingly inaccessible world around us. For me, that looks like my hands flapping when I get unusually excited about something, or overly fidgety when I'm feeling nervous. In the TikTok challenge, users made a cruel joke out of my flapping along with the other ways autistic people communicate our feelings. I had restrained many happy flaps in school or in public out of fear of bullying, and TikTok confirmed my worst fears as an openly autistic person.

Following public attention to the challenge, prominent autism groups posted statements calling for an end to the autism challenge. In a statement from the Autism Society of America, the organization's President and CEO, Christopher Banks, said the advocacy group is "extremely disturbed by the recent 'Autism Challenge' that is currently appearing on TikTok," adding, "Now, more than ever, we must come together to promote acceptance to create a more inclusive world, not use hate to divide us." Parent influencers took to their platforms to condemn the videos.

Disabled creators flocked to social media – including TikTok – to denounce the challenge, while citing TikTok's previously reported attitude towards creators and influencers with disabilities. Ableist sounds and challenges with captions mocking autistic people gain traction with slow moderation on a platform that has previously algorithmically tethered disabled creators. I learned about the challenge's viral nature through a mutual friend's Facebook post, and tweeted my reaction like many others did.

Using the original sound from the defunct autism challenge, people on the autism spectrum, parents of autistic children, and others posted short clips expressing their outrage at the offensive gestures, expecting better of people and TikTok to take down those videos; the critical videos outnumbering the original dance. The original sound is flooded with disabled people, parents, and allies condemning bullying people with disabilities.

TikTok removed the #AutismChallenge hashtag, however, some of the videos still remain. While it's comforting to see swarms of people online reiterating a message that bullying and cyberbullying towards people with disabilities is still uncool, it shouldn't need to be trending after an ableist viral dance challenge in 2020.

It is hideous the platform rules encoded blaming the victim unger the guise of protecting the victim.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2020, 10:08 pm

Unfortunately, I doubt content mocking autistic people will ever cease to be created. Think about all of those "autistic kid" or "autistic screeching" memes out there...

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2020, 10:21 pm

What the heck is Tik Tok?

This is disgusting.

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2020, 10:33 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

Got no idea. But have seen references to it on some youtube-shows I watch. And there it comes across like a ultra-short video site.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2020, 10:36 pm

Sigbold wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

Got no idea. But have seen references to it on some youtube-shows I watch. And there it comes across like a ultra-short video site.

I won't be googling to find out. :evil:

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2020, 8:12 am

Meanwhile the list grows of people who should simply just kill themselves (:

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2020, 11:33 am

I read Haley Moss's article.

It's already hard being openly autistic in this day and age, but things like the "autism challenge" make this a whole lot worse.

Skullbug
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 May 2020, 7:41 pm

I've heard TikTok described as "Twitter for videos"; I guess I'll call it "Vine, but worse".

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2020, 4:43 am

Tik Tok is owned by the Chinese CCP....oh the irony

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2020, 4:51 am

cyberdad wrote:
Tik Tok is owned by the Chinese CCP....oh the irony

I propose next we have the 共匪-challenge.