Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2020, 11:23 am

I tend to think of console games as being video games and PC games as being computer games.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2020, 9:10 am

NewTime wrote:
I tend to think of console games as being video games and PC games as being computer games.
That's how I view it too. Games on handhelds like Gameboy, the Nintendo DS family and PSP also belong in the video game group.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2020, 9:53 am

I tend to think of them as the same thing. I began playing video games on computers around 30 years ago. Some were very elaborate (3 dimensional world). But I switched to console games such as Playstation because sometimes these video games contained viruses. These viruses would not only effect the games but also destroy work on my PC. So I just separated the two - games on one platform, work on the other.

Many video games today are mirrored both on PCs and on consoles. Some computers have accelerated processing capabilities that allow them to be much more advanced and dynamic than any console can provide. So a P.C. game might run circles around a console if one owns a very advanced computer. This can become a factor is simulators (such as flight simulators) and RPG type games.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2020, 12:51 pm

Computer games and video games are exact synonyms for all intents and purposes. Mobile games is a third near synonym for the previously mentioned terms.

As Jimmy alluded to, a console is just a type of computer.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2020, 1:04 pm

To me a game you play using a console or handheld is a video game, a game you play using a PC is a computer game, and a game you play at an arcade is an arcade game.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2020, 1:47 am

What about games for iPads, Android & iPhones?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2020, 1:53 am

NewTime wrote:

Well a bunch of games are cross console, like you have console versions of Skyrim and there is a PC version. I also play league of legends, which is only on the PC IDK how they would convert the controls to a console controller. IDk I consider league a video game like the games I play on console, except that one I can only play on the PC. That said I mostly play just one player kind of games on console, league of legends is really the only multiplayer game I play regularly.

Admittedly I don't even know why half the time, I am not great at that game....but its fun, you get rewards and well the champions are cool at least a lot of them so hard to move away from it after playing 5 years even though I am not a fan of some of the more recent changes. But its a game I just cannot let go of, also I have probably spent more than 100 dollars on various events, champion skins and such. One of my last games pretty sure everyone was at least 5 years younger than me...they were talking about doing papers for college or HS, and then of course they all whined and b*tched at each other the whole game. Me being 30 and not doing any school s**t was just kinda thinking, why do these people gotta be so petty just play the game like an adult...but I have to remember half the people on there are practically kids compared to me.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2020, 9:20 pm

Kitty4670 wrote:

I hardly consider those video games. I think phone game is more accurate since a phone isn’t a computer or console. Most phone games are boring in my opinion.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2020, 9:31 pm

xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:
Kitty4670 wrote:

I hardly consider those video games. I think phone game is more accurate since a phone isn’t a computer or console. Most phone games are boring in my opinion.

A phone really is a computer though although games intended for them usually are intended to be able to be played in small doses unlike console and PC games.

I find at times the games that don't appeal to gamers get treated as though they're somehow not games which is utterly absurd.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2020, 9:42 pm

all video games are computer games. consoles are just computers made to run games first and foremost.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

03 Jun 2020, 7:55 am

jimmy m wrote:
I tend to think of them as the same thing. I began playing video games on computers around 30 years ago. Some were very elaborate (3 dimensional world). But I switched to console games such as Playstation because sometimes these video games contained viruses. These viruses would not only effect the games but also destroy work on my PC. So I just separated the two - games on one platform, work on the other.

Many video games today are mirrored both on PCs and on consoles. Some computers have accelerated processing capabilities that allow them to be much more advanced and dynamic than any console can provide. So a P.C. game might run circles around a console if one owns a very advanced computer. This can become a factor is simulators (such as flight simulators) and RPG type games.
Well said Jimmy. Like you I also think of PC games as video games & I think of phone & tablet games & arcade game as vid games as well. Lots of arcade games were made for counsel game systems too like Mortal Kombat, Pac-Man, & Donkey Kong(the really early DK games where you had to climb the ladders & avoid the barrels the monkey was throwing)

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2020, 2:18 pm

Find me a PC game that does not rely on video technology.

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2020, 2:27 pm

PC games and console games are both video games. Like Kiprobalhato said, a console is just a computer made specifically to play video games on.

Some definitions for "video game" I found,

Quote:
"A video game is an electronic game that involves interaction with a user interface to generate visual feedback on a two- or three-dimensional video display device such as a touchscreen, virtual reality headset or monitor/TV set."

Quote:
"a game played by electronically manipulating images produced by a computer program on a television screen or other display screen."

Space50
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jul 2020, 9:16 am

nick007 wrote:
jimmy m wrote:

Well said Jimmy. Like you I also think of PC games as video games & I think of phone & tablet games & arcade game as vid games as well. Lots of arcade games were made for counsel game systems too like Mortal Kombat, Pac-Man, & Donkey Kong(the really early DK games where you had to climb the ladders & avoid the barrels the monkey was throwing)

Not all arcade games are video games. Arcade games that don't have screens such as those prize winning games aren't really video games.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2020, 8:24 pm

ALL PC games are video games.
All video games are PC games.
I don't use the term computer games in general. It's kind of an outdated term but. In general PC games are games that you play on your pc. As people have pointed out Alot of games now are cross-platform console & PC.
Mobile games (Games meant to play on your phone but also your tablet as well) are becoming more popular but generally aren't meant to take up much time.
Console games are games meant to be played on console (Typically home consoles like an xbox or a play-station but also can refer to handheld games)
There are also handedheld games
also whatever game console it's on Games.
Xbox games or PS4 games and what not.
But yes all of these are video games
It gets a bit more complicated when you got to arcade games.
Some are kinda borderline.