Page 16 of 17 [ 265 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2022, 10:08 am

We get these little black ants twice a year. I looked them up on the web and exterminators have a name for them: “little black ants” - clever! Twice a year they do heavy food hunting and store up food in the nest - exterminators suggest using poison that the ants will take back to the nest and kill the entire colony - this seems cruel to me - maybe I am just projecting. We have kids and cats and the neighbour has a 5 year old kid. I don’t like poison. Instead we hide the food. If they cannot find the food they won’t come back with all the little black ants friends. We use ziplock bags and plastic air-tight containers and wipe up crumbs and spills quickly and often. . Some things like boxes of crac kers and cereal or dried fruit or cookies that you wouldn’t think to bag get bagged. It works

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2022, 8:27 pm

https://be.chewy.com/the-top-3-singing-pet-birds/

The Top 3 Singing Pet Birds

By: Chewy Editorial - Updated: March 18, 2021

The Appeal Of The Cockatiel

Cockatiel parrots are known for their powerful, smooth whistle. They are creative songsters that love to sing and whistle and show off.

Royce Irwin of Texas has been breeding and showing most types of cockatiels since 1983. He is also a member of the North Texas Cockatiel Club, which began in the mid-1980s to fill the need for cockatiel shows in north Texas and Oklahoma.

“Cockatiels will do several different kinds of whistles. They seem to really like the wolf calls but will whistle anything if they hear it enough.” Irwin added that cockatiels are likely to teach their whistles and songs to other birds. According to Irwin, his male cockatiel has the stronger vocal ability, but a small percentage of females are also able to whistle.

“Cockatiels are very sweet and charming little guys,” said Lisa Alexis of Louisiana. She has a 2-year-old male whitefaced-cinnamon mutation cockatiel, Snoopy, that loves to sing. “He’s my little friend with a big voice. When he was just a baby, on his way home in the car, my dad looked at him and started to whistle. Snoopy came out of his traveling cage and whistled back. That is how all this started. He can whistle up a storm. He loves to look in the mirror and whistle at that pretty birdie reflection of his. He will do this for hours each day.”

“I believe that cockatiels are the best whistlers/singers,” said Becky Denney of Ontario, Canada. She has a whitefaced-pied mutation cockatiel named Sydney. “He knows several different whistles, which I taught him to do as I conduct him with my finger. Every time I bring him to work at Super Pet in Belleville, he amazes people with his ability to perform. He’s a great bird, and I wouldn’t give him up for the world.”
The Great Singing Parrot: The Amazon

Amazon parrots have a long and storied history as song masters, in part because of their colorful personalities.

Diana Holloway, former president of The Amazona Society, said that Amazons enjoy showing off their talents and like to be the center of attention. “You usually see yellow-naped Amazons on TV singing. The audience always laughs, not just because of the talent, but also because of the bird itself. Amazons puff out their cheek feathers and sway, prance and head bob while showing off. They are true hams.” Her Amazon, Lola, loves to sing Barry Manilow’s “Cabana Song.” “She gets into singing, ‘Her name was Lola, she was a showgirl at the Copa, Copa Cabana’ at the top of her lungs, and then makes the song her own by interjecting all kinds of other phrases and operatic arias. It is hysterical.” She added that double-yellow-headed Amazons are known for their operatic voices. “They can run the scales like no other parrot.”

Susanne Cochran of Colorado raises Amazons at the Avalon Aviary and believes that in addition to the double yellow-headed Amazon, the yellow-naped and blue-fronted Amazons are the best singers. “They love to be vocal; it is part of being a magnificent Amazon, and they know they are magnificent.” Cochran said that these parrots like to make up new songs that show off their creativity. “I think it is done more when they forget a part of a song or are at a loss for words.” Although Amazons are enthusiastic singers and can be quite loud, they can be taught to “whisper sing,” Cochran related. Her yellow-naped mother bird, Wolfie, sings soft “la-la-las” to her babies in the nest.

Yvonne Kleine of New York has a yellow-naped Amazon, Perri, that greets her with a series of wolf whistles, jungle songs of her own composition and the occasional Amazonian Concerto. “We have this little ritual where she sings to me, and after a few bars, she stops, and I am supposed to fill in the missing musical parts. If she likes the melody, she joins in, if she doesn’t, she screeches “No! No! No!” and we start all over again. She never gets tired of doing this.” Perri also sings opera. She loves Gilbert and Sullivan. “She sings and dances to ‘We Sail the Ocean Blue,’ wiggling around and bobbing her head while fluttering her wings. Her version is so funny and fractured that there have been times I have laughed until tears flowed.”

Diana Craven of California has three African greys, but her best talker (and songstress) is her yellow-crowned Amazon, Little Lulu. “She learned to turn on the radio by watching me move the switch from radio to tape. Now she moves the switch back to radio, says ‘Good girl’ and returns to her cage.” Little Lulu sings ‘Take Me Out to the Ballgame,’ which is very clear, all the way to ‘I don’t care if never get back.’ She loves to sing ‘crackerjack.’ She also sings ‘I Left My Heart in San Francisco,’ through to ‘the morning sun will chill the air.’ I think she misses a few words somewhere, but there’s no mistaking what she is singing. She sings herself to sleep very softly, making up her own words and melody, and sometimes she just hums.”
The Beautiful Song of the Canary

The songs of canaries have inspired people for centuries. But none are more beautiful than the song canaries, which are bred specifically for their vocal abilities. Although the songs of all canaries are pleasant, each is distinct. The German roller has a soft tone, whereas the Spanish timbrado has a metallic sound that can be rather loud. The American singer, developed by breeding a roller canary to a border canary, is somewhere in the middle, with a melodic blend and a medium sound, and the Belgian waterslager is capable of singing unique watery notes.

“All male canaries sing,” said Vanessa Johnson of the Texas American Singer Canary Club. “The only true test for a male is to hear him sing loud and clear. Only male birds engage in full song, but occasionally a female may have a few warbling notes. “American singers are bred for song alone. There is no exact sound for the American singer canary. The definition of “song” in the National American Singer Constitution is: A musical sequence of notes and tours naturally given, not too loud or too soft, medium, pleasing to the average human ear; varied, full songs, no repetition of short tours or notes becoming monotonous.”

Kathy Guise Schaefer of the Kings County Canary Club in New York has been raising and breeding canaries since 1974. “As far as I’m concerned, the red factor [canary] has the best sound, because they’re closer to the wild. They still have some kick. They’re loud but with a pretty sound.” She added, “All canaries will pick up songs from wherever they hear them.”

Cathy Osier of New Jersey has cockatiels, parakeets, a caique, a Senegal and a canary. She said, hands down, the canary is the best singer and whistler. “My canary, Whistler, sings a wonderful tune, which he has expanded since I purchased a CD of canary songs. He is quickly adding the songs to his repertoire. When we first saw Whistler, he was in a cage with about 10 other canaries, he was the only one singing. He came home to us singing in his little travel box and continues to delight us with his song every day. Whistler puffs up, filling up with air and, like an opera singer, sings his aria as he slowly deflates. We all, including the other birds in our household, enjoy listening to his songs. His biggest fans are the parakeets ?they love him, and he loves them.”

Posted By: Chewy Editorial

Published: August 16, 2019

Copyright 2022 © Chewy, Inc

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2022, 12:30 pm

Animal: Jumping Spider
Fact: Cute

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

Sciency_Owen
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 May 2022, 9:38 am

There are tardigrades on the moon, and they may be able to survive there, assuming they survived the initial crash landing onto the moon.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2022, 1:27 pm

Mantis, termites and cockroaches are close relatives.
Mantodea, Isoptera, and Blattodea are all within the superorder Dictyoptera.

In a sense, mantis are a kind of cockroaches evolving towards predatory, while termites are a kind of cockroaches evolving towards eusociality.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2022, 8:26 pm

Many pretty little blue butterflies were raised on the back of ant slaves.

Caterpillars of several blue butterfly species produce chemicals that make them fascinating to ants. Depending on species, the ants can end up guarding the caterpillars as they feed, taking them home to the hive for protection, feeding them as if they were ant larvae, and even standing calmly by while the caterpillar eats the real ant larvae.

I first heard of this in connection with the Large Blue butterfly, which was a major challenge for British conservationists. In order to reintroduce it, they had to bring together not only its food plants and egg-laying plants, but also the particular species of red ant that the caterpillars enslave and eat.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2022, 10:11 pm

i wonder what the red ants got out of this?

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2022, 9:17 am

I don't think they get anything, other than a natural high from licking the "giant baby" that's eating their kids....

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2022, 11:11 am

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
Many pretty little blue butterflies were raised on the back of ant slaves.

Caterpillars of several blue butterfly species produce chemicals that make them fascinating to ants. Depending on species, the ants can end up guarding the caterpillars as they feed, taking them home to the hive for protection, feeding them as if they were ant larvae, and even standing calmly by while the caterpillar eats the real ant larvae.

I first heard of this in connection with the Large Blue butterfly, which was a major challenge for British conservationists. In order to reintroduce it, they had to bring together not only its food plants and egg-laying plants, but also the particular species of red ant that the caterpillars enslave and eat.

Didnt know that. Thats fascinating.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2022, 11:12 am

PhosphorusDecree wrote:
I don't think they get anything, other than a natural high from licking the "giant baby" that's eating their kids....

They turn the ants into a bunch of 'crack whores'! :lol:

Last edited by naturalplastic on 18 Jun 2022, 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2022, 11:21 am

PhosphorusDecree wrote:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn13139-parasitic-butterflies-fool-ants-with-smell/
Quote:
A beautiful butterfly is able to fool ants into rearing its young by masking them with the ants’ own smell, say researchers.

Caterpillars of the alcon blue butterfly have developed an outer coat that tricks ants into believing the young are its own, duping the ants into carrying the larvae back to their colonies to care for.

But what is more, the ant seems to “recognise” that it is being duped and one population appears to be engaging in an evolutionary arms race with the butterfly, says the team led by David Nash at the University of Copenhagen, Denmark.

The Maculinea alcon butterfly has a parasitic relationship with two species of Myrmica ants in Denmark. The butterfly’s caterpillars begin life feeding off a plant, then, still as caterpillars, they drop to the ground where they wait to be picked up by passing Myrmica ants, who take them back to their nests.

It smells like a typical Brood parasite.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2022, 7:37 pm

Hyraxes are small African grazing mammals that look a bit like oversized guinea pigs with small heads. Their closest relatives aren't rodents or ungulates- they belong in a clade with the sea-cows and elephants. They've been spared the depredations of the exotic pet trade because you don't really get the full effect with one hyrax. Hyraxes are famed for huddling together for warmth in great fuzzy piles.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2022, 3:35 pm

Fact: Sea otters have a special pouch under their arms where they can store clams.

Fact: Sea Urchins gave teeth.

Fact: Clark’s Nutcracker can remember approximately 3000 locations of hidden nuts.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2023, 4:42 pm

Mugger crocodiles often balance sticks on their noses to lure birds that are building nests.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2023, 1:59 pm

101 Amazing Cat Facts: Fun Trivia About Your Feline Friend

These fun facts about cats will make you feel all fuzzy inside.

You may love your cat, but you may not be fully aware of just how cool your she — and her overall species — really is. For example, did you know that cats have an extra organ that allows them to taste scents? Or that they developed meowing as a way to communicate exclusively with humans?

Clearly, there’s more to your little feline friend than meets the eye. So, to help you fully appreciate how awesome cats are, we asked cat care professionals on Care.com — namely, cat sitters, boarders, and groomers — to share their favorite fun facts about these mystical creatures. We then pulled together a list of the 101 most amusing cat facts that you can share with your friends and family.

Facts About Cat Anatomy & Physiology

A house cat’s genome is 95.6 percent tiger, and they share many behaviors with their jungle ancestors, says Layla Morgan Wilde, a cat behavior expert and the founder of Cat Wisdom 101. These behaviors include scent marking by scratching, prey play, prey stalking, pouncing, chinning, and urine marking.
Cats are believed to be the only mammals who don’t taste sweetness.
Cats are nearsighted, but their peripheral vision and night vision are much better than that of humans.
Cats are supposed to have 18 toes (five toes on each front paw; four toes on each back paw).
Cats can jump up to six times their length.
Cats’ claws all curve downward, which means that they can’t climb down trees head-first. Instead, they have to back down the trunk.
Cats’ collarbones don’t connect to their other bones, as these bones are buried in their shoulder muscles.
Cats have 230 bones, while humans only have 206.
Cats have an extra organ that allows them to taste scents on the air, which is why your cat stares at you with her mouth open from time to time.
Cats have whiskers on the backs of their front legs, as well.
Cats have nearly twice the amount of neurons in their cerebral cortex as dogs.
Cats have the largest eyes relative to their head size of any mammal.
Cats make very little noise when they walk around. The thick, soft pads on their paws allow them to sneak up on their prey — or you!
Cats’ rough tongues can lick a bone clean of any shred of meat.
Cats use their long tails to balance themselves when they’re jumping or walking along narrow ledges.
Cats use their whiskers to “feel” the world around them in an effort to determine which small spaces they can fit into. A cat’s whiskers are generally about the same width as its body. (This is why you should never, EVER cut their whiskers.)
Cats walk like camels and giraffes: They move both of their right feet first, then move both of their left feet. No other animals walk this way.
Male cats are more likely to be left-pawed, while female cats are more likely to be right-pawed.
Though cats can notice the fast movements of their prey, it often seems to them that slow-moving objects are actually stagnant.
Some cats are ambidextrous, but 40 percent are either left- or right-pawed.
Some cats can swim.
There are cats who have more than 18 toes. These extra-digit felines are referred to as being “polydactyl.”
Facts About Cat Health & Wellness

A cat’s average lifespan increased by a year over the span of time between 2002 and 2012, according to a study by Banfield Pet Hospital.
According to The Huffington Post, cats typically sleep for 12 to 16 hours a day.
Cats are crepuscular, which means that they’re most active at dawn and dusk.
Cats are fastidious creatures about their “bathroom.” If you have more than one cat, you should have one litter box for each.
Cats can spend up to a third of their waking hours grooming.
Cats live longer when they stay indoors.
Cats’ purring may be a self-soothing behavior, since they make this noise when they’re ill or distressed, as well as when they’re happy.
Cats will refuse an unpalatable food to the point of starvation.
Despite popular belief, many cats are actually lactose intolerant.
Female cats have the ability to get pregnant when they are only 4 months old!
Grapes and raisins, as well as onions, garlic, and chives, are all extremely harmful foods for cats. Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure — although the reasoning behind that isn’t clear. Meanwhile, onions, garlic, and chives wreak havoc on your cat’s gastrointestinal system and can cause anemia.
If you keep your cat active during the day, he will sleep better at night. If you’re not free-feeding your cat, you can also help her get a good night’s sleep by providing her with a substantial evening meal.
It’s believed that catnip produces an effect similar to LSD or marijuana in cats. The effects of nepetalactone — the chemical in catnip that can makes cats crazy — wears off within 15 minutes, and won’t surface again for a few hours, even if your cat remains in sniffing distance.
Kittens can be spayed or neutered when they are only eight weeks old. If possible, these procedures should be performed in the first 5 months of your cat’s life.
Male cats who have been fixed need fewer calories to maintain their weight.
Spaying and neutering can extend a cat’s life. The Banfield Pet Hospital study found that neutered males live an average of 62 percent longer than unneutered cats and spayed females live an average of 39 percent longer than unspayed cats.
Your cat’s grooming process stimulates blood flow to his skin, regulates his body temperature and helps him relax.
Facts About Cat Communication Cues

A cat with a question-mark-shaped tail is asking, “Want to play?”
According to Wilde, a slow blink is a “kitty kiss.” This movement shows contentment and trust.
Cats have a unique “vocabulary” with their owner — each cat has a different set of vocalizations, purrs and behaviors.
Cats have up to 100 different vocalizations — dogs only have 10.
Cats find it threatening when you make direct eye contact with them.
Cats mark you as their territory
when they rub their faces and bodies against you, as they have scent glands in those areas.

Cats may yawn as a way to end a confrontation with another animal. Think of it as their “talk to the hand” gesture.
Hissing is defensive, not aggressive, says Wilde. “It’s an expression of fear, stress or discomfort of a threatened cat communicating ‘stay away,'” she says.
If cats are fighting, the cat that’s hissing is the more vulnerable one, says Wilde.
If your cat approaches you with a straight, almost vibrating tail, this means that she is extremely happy to see you.
Kneading — which some people refer to as “making biscuits” — is a sign of contentment and happiness. Cats knead their mothers when they are nursing to stimulate the let-down of milk.
Meowing is a behavior that cats developed exclusively to communicate with people.
When a cat flops over and exposes his belly, it’s not always an invitation for a belly rub. A cat does this when he’s relaxed and showing trust.
When cats hit you with retracted claws, they’re playing, not attacking.
When dogs wag their tails, they may be expressing happiness. But this isn’t the case for cats! When your cat wags her tail, it’s her way of warning you that you are getting on her last nerve.
When your cat sticks his butt in your face, he is doing so as a gesture of friendship.
Whiskers are also good indicators of a cat’s mood. When a cat is scared, he put his whiskers back. But when a cat is in hunting mode, he puts his whiskers forward.
Your cat drapes its tail over another cat, your dog, or you as a symbol of friendship.
Facts About Quirky Cat Behaviors — And Why They Happen

Cats are very fussy about their water bowls; some prefer to ignore their bowls entirely in favor of drinking from the sink faucet.
Cats groom other cats — and sometimes people — in a ritual called allogrooming.
Cats like to sleep on things that smell like their owners, such as their pillows and dirty laundry (ick!).
Cats love to sleep in laundry baskets, too, because they’re basically hiding places with peep holes.
Cats often attack your ankles when they’re bored.
Certain cats go crazy for foods you wouldn’t expect, like olives, potato chips, and the hops in beer.
For some reason, cats really dislike citrus scents.
If you can’t find your cat, you should look in a box or a bag, as these are some of their favorite hiding spots!
Male cats who try to get to a female in heat can show very bizarre behavior — for example, some have been known to slide down chimneys!
Many cats like to lick their owner’s freshly washed hair.
Some cats love the smell of chlorine.
Thieving behavior is not uncommon among cats. They will often grab objects like stuffed animals, feather dusters, and other things that remind them of prey.
Facts About Cats Who Made History

A green cat was born in Denmark in 1995. Some people believe that high levels of copper in the water pipes nearby may have given his fur a verdigris effect.
It turns out that Abraham Lincoln was a crazy cat president! He had four cats that lived in the White House with him.
Maria Assunta left her cat, Tomasso, her entire $13 million fortune when she died in 2011.
President Bill Clinton’s cat, Socks, was a media darling during the Clinton administration and was said to receive more letters than the President himself.
Stubbs, a 17-year-old orange tabby, is mayor of the historic district of Talkeetna, Alaska.
Other Surprising Cat Facts You Didn’t Know

A cat’s learning style is about the same as a 2- to 3-year-old child.
A cat’s purr vibrates at a frequency of 25 to 150 hertz, which is the same frequency at which muscles and bones repair themselves.
A group of kittens is called a “kindle.”
A house cat could beat superstar runner Usain Bolt in the 200 meter dash.
About half of the cats in the world respond to the scent of catnip.
Cat breeders are called “catteries.”
Cats can be toilet-trained.
Cats can drink sea water in order to survive. (In case you’re wondering, we can’t.)
Cats don’t have an incest taboo, so they may choose to mate with their brothers and sisters.
Cats dream, just like people do.
Cats have contributed to the extinction of 33 different species.
Cats perceive people as big, hairless cats, says Wilde.
Cats were first brought to the Americas in colonial times to get rid of rodents.
Collective nouns for adult cats include “clowder,” “clutter,” “glaring,” and “pounce.”
Each cat’s nose print is unique, much like human fingerprints.
Every Scottish Fold cat in the world can trace its heritage back to the first one, which was found in Scotland in the 1960s, says Cheryl Hogan, a Scottish Fold breeder and the committee chair for the breed at The International Cat Association (TICA).
It’s not uncommon to see cats in food stores in big cities as a form of free — and adorable — pest control.
Kittens in the same litter can have more than one father. This is because the female cat releases multiple eggs over the course of a few days when she is in heat.
Male cats are the most sensitive to catnip, while kittens under 3 months old have no response at all.
Most world languages have a similar word to describe the “meow” sound.
People often think that they’ve stumbled over a purebred as a stray or in a shelter, but Hogan says that this is very uncommon. “Ninety-nine times out of 100 what you have found on the street will not be purebred anything,” she says. “Very seldom do breeders sell kittens that are not already spayed or neutered,” as purebred cats need to meet very strict standards.
Some 700 million feral cats live in the United States, and many shelters run trap-neuter-release programs to stem the population growth.
Studies suggest that domesticated cats first appeared around 3600 B.C.
The first known cat video was recorded in 1894.
There are about 88 million pet cats in the United States, which makes them the most popular pet in the country!
Two hundred feral cats prowl the park at Disneyland, doing their part to control rodents — the ones who don’t wear funny outfits and speak in squeaky voices.
White cats with blue eyes are prone to deafness.
Originally written by Amy Kuras. Updated by Alexa Gahan, Katie Bonadies, and Kayla King on 30 June 2017.

Source

101 Amazing Cat Facts: Fun Trivia About Your Feline Friend
https://www.care.com/c/stories/6045/101 ... ne-friend/

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2023, 8:38 pm

Ducks can't fly when they're molting. Most birds replace a few flight feathers at a time, but ducks lose all the flight feathers on one wing, then the other. The bold colours of the males would make them an easy target for predators at this time. So the drakes go into "eclipse plumage" until they can fly again. Their colours fade, and are broken up by tufty brown feathers. Even their bills can change colour. You can see it in wild mallard drakes - their irridescent green heads turn rusty and mottled, and the bill fades from bright yellow to a dull yellowish green.