Page 1 of 17 [ 265 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2020, 6:52 pm

Alternatively titled- Lost dragon's thread to obsess over how bizarre animals and nature can be because I find it fascinating and I'm taking you with me (if you'd like). :lol:

In the world of fish: https://www.thesprucepets.com/some-fish ... es-3969450

So, in other news, would you like to guess what a mountain chicken is? Well, it's not a chicken. It's actually the name of a frog.

This is the mountain chicken frog, also known as giant ditch frog.

--

Here's an interesting looking dog breed, the Komondor:

Otherwise known as the Hungarian Sheepdog or mop dogs. It was originally bred to guard sheep from wolves and other predators, their coat allowing them to blend in with the herd. Their coat is incredibly coarse and thick which doubles as protection against potential wolf bites.

Alright, I'll leave it there for now otherwise I could be talking for several hours and accidentally writing a novel (which I may do during this thread, but I'll try to resist the urge). :wink: Still, feel free to add any interesting animal facts you know. I love finding out about genetic differences (why, the negatives and the how), genetic engineering, different traits (how they display and why) and animal behaviour.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2020, 6:05 am

Read up on various fish-type beings who live in the deep sea, and are able to light themselves up.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2020, 6:08 am

Never heard of that mop dog. That's quite interesting.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2020, 6:18 am

The record for fastest movement in the animal kingdom belongs to the ant genus Odontomachus; Trapjaw Ants. They pretty much have a literal bear trap on their face.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2020, 6:23 am

There are birds who can travel over 200
mph.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2020, 6:30 am

Well OK

There are thousands of kind of wasps, some of them are actuallly quite useful...there are even specific fig wasps that the figs need. Also wasps are a relative of bees, bees are basically wasps that evolved to drink nectar rather than eat other bugs.

Also you can't catch jumping spiders because they will always see you first but usually if they come in through a window they can find their way back outside on their own. So you can interact with the spider but they are playful and you can't catch them because their vision is so good they see you first. But if you get one in your house they will probably just hang out in the window but that is good because if any fly bugs make it through the screen your friendly jumping spider will eat those. So I say never kill jumping spiders because they are useful for killing actual gross bugs like earwigs and ants, jumping spiders are one of the few kind of spiders that can hunt ants, because for most spiders the ants just jsut crawl all over them and eat them to death. But jumping spiders can ambush them and get out of the spot before the other ants come.

But also jumping spiders are cute, so you should just leavae them alone...its good to have some around because they hunt other bugs.

Also if you go over to someones house...ask before you kill the spiders, my brother was telling me he befriended a spider but his gf brought over another friend who didn't know and they killed the spider. My brother was upset because it was a spider he had befriended and he didn't want anyone to kill it. So like seriously don't kill spiders in another persons house without asking some people like their house spiders. Like IDK I'd kind of be pissed if someone killed one of my house spiders that I am chill with. Like I hate killing spiders usuallly I try to put them outside or just shoo them to a corner I only kill them if they like come at me aggressively. So Idk just seems if you are in someone elses house you should ask before killing any spiders. Like if I got a cool window jumping spider I would not want anyone to kill it Id want it to hang out and kill the other bugs that try to come in. But yeah I my brothers girlfriends friend killed it...in retrospect he should have told them not to kill any of his room spiders beforehand. But it can be neglected but IDK based on that just seems you should not kill other peoples spiders unless they are ok with it.

Enough about spiders though, there are also windscopians also called 'camel spiders' in colorado they do not actually get very big and they aren't aggressive to people really. If one chases you it probably just wants your shade, not to bite you.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2020, 7:13 am

Spider silk is so light and strong it's been successfully been used as a material in ballistic vests.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2020, 7:36 am

There is a type of deep-sea fish called the barreleye. The top of its head is clear, so it can look straight through its own head. It took people a while to realize this, because when these fish are caught and pulled to the surface, the change in pressure and stuff usually destroys the clear part.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2020, 9:45 am

Snapping Turtles have an interesting trait. They can become invisible. Well not really invisible but they can camouflage themselves so well that they might as well be invisible.

Here is a photo of a snapping turtle. Can you see it?

Ops! Now it moved. Can you see it now?

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2020, 9:57 am

We live in the country and deers will sometimes come within a few feet of our house. One time I notices a deer with her baby so I grabbed my video camera and filmed it. The fawn must have been born mere minutes earlier. It was standing on its legs but didn't quite seem to know how to walk yet. It was a little wobbly. The mother doe was furiously licking her baby clean. Hundreds of flies were attracted by the birthing fluids and attacking the fawn relentlessly. After the doe cleaned her newborn, she led the baby slowly into the woods.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2020, 9:58 am

jimmy m wrote:
Snapping Turtle

Not bad for a vertebrate. Still no match for the masters of camouflage:

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2020, 10:05 am

One day I went outside in the fall and noticed many dark spots on the top of my tall trees. They were 100 feet up. I watched and noticed the spots moving. They were large birds. They were a flock of vultures. There must have been hundreds of them. They were resting on their way down south for the winter. They are huge birds with wingspans of 6 feet. They would lift off the trees and circle above.

Normally I only see singular vultures. Sometimes they would nosedive your car when you are driving down the backcountry streets. But this was a flock and when they lifted off together, they darkened the sky.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2020, 10:17 am

I always keep one cat and one dog. They are outdoor animals. When one passes, I replace it. When I do, I have to train the animals to accept one another. Train them to be friends. I had a white female boxer. She was a good dog. But my cat passed away and I replaced it with a small kitten. The kitten was lonely and often cried. The kitten would come and lie down next to the dog and exchange warmth. After awhile the kitten would nurse on the dog. The boxer would let the kitten do this but the dog was very ashamed. Anytime I turned a corner when this intimacy was going on, the dog would immediately stand up and walk away as if it was ashamed.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2020, 1:18 pm

Red-tailed hawks typically hunt in pairs. One hawk will scare the prey and the other will be waiting to catch it. For example, a squirrel on a tree trunk sees hawk 1 and moves to the other side of the trunk, where hawk 2 is waiting for it.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2020, 1:39 pm

Speaking of red-tailed hawks, it is the actual source of that classic majestic screech you hear every time an eagle appears in movies and television. Actual eagle sounds are a lot less majestic.

If I didnt know what it was, I'd guess seagulls or crows:

Compared to:

Last edited by Wolfram87 on 19 May 2020, 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

19 May 2020, 1:42 pm

This beauty is nicknamed "Flying Spaghetti Monster":
Image Image
Siphonophores rock!

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>