Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

dan_aspie
Raven
Raven

19 May 2020, 7:48 pm

Recently a friend of mine has stopped talking to me over a silly reason. If he does speak, it's quite negative and personal. Frankly I don't get it.

I bought a particular currency for this game Path of Exile via a website I knew of. Normally, such currency requires a long grind to get in usable quantities, so I decided to skip that part. When my friend found out (not like I was hiding it), he went silent and then went off at me. Calling me a disgusting, currency-buying insect who only wanted the prestige of Unique gear (Unique gear has properties no other gear can get).

I really don't get what his problem is. It's not like I've not bought game currency before; Warframe's platinum, WoW's gold tokens. I never got flak for those. Sure it may be cheating and reprehensible, but a) I do it for personal use, and b) is this really the sort of thing you should end a friendship over? I don't think so!

He's being stubborn. Stupid even. With respect, I don't think he can afford to lose a friend of something so trivial. It's not like he has many friends himself.

I'm just not going to engage him anymore. I don't need this crap. My only worry is that it could strain the friendship we have with a mutual friend - the third person in our little circle.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2020, 7:51 pm

Some people prefer to earn their gear in-game, rather than just show off what their RW money can buy.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

I love belko61
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2020, 7:54 pm

Has your friend ever lent you money? He may be upset that you bought something frivolous rather than offer to repay him. Or same principle - given you gear and now you didn't return the favour.
Does this put you at a different level now - maybe he's upset that you will no longer be a team.

dan_aspie
Raven
Raven

19 May 2020, 8:24 pm

I love belko61 wrote:
Has your friend ever lent you money? He may be upset that you bought something frivolous rather than offer to repay him. Or same principle - given you gear and now you didn't return the favour.
Does this put you at a different level now - maybe he's upset that you will no longer be a team.

Due to the viral fiasco still going on, we haven't caught up for a while. Before then no, I never lent him money, nor had he lent me any. Never traded gear in-game either. Trading in PoE isn't one way either; you must offer something in return.

We were at different levels anyway. From what he's told me, my acquisition still leaves me under his level. He's faced and beaten the final boss of the endgame, whereas I'm nowhere close to that. So it's not like what I did gave me a great leap forward, let alone ahead of his own progress.

*shrugs* His beef. His loss.

@Fnord: I wasn't showing off per-se. He saw a screenshot I took for our mutual 3rd friend, and recognized the gear I had on as being expensive. The amount of RW money I spent didn't even reach double-digits. I've bought grocery items that were more expensive than purchasing this currency!

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2020, 11:06 am

Reading your post, you said that he is negative, to begin with, and people like that are unhappy. Based on the way he plays those games, he sounds like he thinks he above you. When you showed off with that money and some other things it sounds like he was jealous of you. :?:

As for you, it sounds like you came across as a bragger when you didn't mean to.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2020, 11:27 am

If he's that upset over something so trivial, it's not surprising he doesn't have that many friends.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2020, 9:32 pm

Fnord wrote:
Some people prefer to earn their gear in-game, rather than just show off what their RW money can buy.

While that's a fair preference, someone who's never expressed that preference before will seem unreasonable when they suddenly adopt a crusader mentality regarding it.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

beady
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2020, 10:15 pm

It’s a shame to lose a friend over a game that everyone involved is supposed to be doing for fun. Hope your friend cools off and apologizes for his raging.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2020, 7:46 am

Different people define "silly" different ways

Plenty of times , some "holier than thou" reptiles have the nerve to tell me that I "got mad" or skew the entire situation.

And they know that I don't have enough stupidass "friends" for "beggars can't be choosers"

Monopolistic competition

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2020, 9:02 am

dan_aspie wrote:
Recently a friend of mine has stopped talking to me over a silly reason. If he does speak, it's quite negative and personal. Frankly I don't get it.

I bought a particular currency for this game Path of Exile via a website I knew of. Normally, such currency requires a long grind to get in usable quantities, so I decided to skip that part. When my friend found out (not like I was hiding it), he went silent and then went off at me. Calling me a disgusting, currency-buying insect who only wanted the prestige of Unique gear (Unique gear has properties no other gear can get).

I really don't get what his problem is. It's not like I've not bought game currency before; Warframe's platinum, WoW's gold tokens. I never got flak for those. Sure it may be cheating and reprehensible, but a) I do it for personal use, and b) is this really the sort of thing you should end a friendship over? I don't think so!

He's being stubborn. Stupid even. With respect, I don't think he can afford to lose a friend of something so trivial. It's not like he has many friends himself.

I'm just not going to engage him anymore. I don't need this crap. My only worry is that it could strain the friendship we have with a mutual friend - the third person in our little circle.

Well that is freaking stupid. Also if it is official in game currency its not cheating...cheating would be if you somehow get content that isn't actually for sale that makes you seem a better player than you are. I mean I don't play that particular game at the moment( I actually did have Path of Exile) but I wasn't playing it very much at all and just uninstalled it yesterday. That said I did find its on Xbox now so might try it there I did kinda like it but couldn't help having the reoccurring thought that it would be better on a console. But either way if the currency is available for the game and its not some kind of third party thing where you are actually breaking rules like hacking or something to get it to work then I don't see how it could be cheating. I buy currency for League of Legends more than I would want to admit because sometimes there are skins for champions I want to buy or special events I am interested in where buying a pass gets you more coins for more rewards.

But yeah seems a really petty thing to actually end a friendship over...I mean I'd say may be best to just move on if they are going to be like this. Is it a friend you know in person or just an online friend? Either way doesn't seem like you did anything wrong...seems like they are acting like a gatekeeper about it like you didn't do it the way they figure you should and so they have decided to hold that against you. Unfortunately even though video games can be great fun...you cannot always predict other online people or know if they are rational or crazy some people just seem like they can't help being toxic when they are online.

I mean kind of sounds like you figure the friendship means more to him than it does to you, so I mean if he wants to self sabatoge and lose one of his few friends over this well you can't force him not to I guess.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2020, 9:07 am

Summer_Twilight wrote:
Reading your post, you said that he is negative, to begin with, and people like that are unhappy. Based on the way he plays those games, he sounds like he thinks he above you. When you showed off with that money and some other things it sounds like he was jealous of you. :?:

As for you, it sounds like you came across as a bragger when you didn't mean to.

IDK I don't get the impression the O.P was actually bragging about it so much as the friend just found out and was the one who made an issue of it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2020, 2:33 pm

Nursery school crap.

Run from this person—fast!

Jagz
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Jun 2020, 6:04 am

The difference between PoE and the other games listed, is in all the other cases you buying it through a method that developers have allowed, while GGG (Grinding Gear Games) have that sort of trading as a bannable offence. Which means it ends up heavily linked to other shady activities like hacking, scamming and botting, so it could be viewed as you supporting them activities. Not to say it doesn't exist in other games just deciding to RMT (real money trade) in a game that it's forbidden is more directly supporting the activities than in one that it's not. Also that playing games like that there is a feeling of earning your success and progress (along with luck) which they might feel you just skipped the process which is part of the fun or challenge.

But as it been a few weeks maybe this reply a little too late now, just as someone who actually plays the game which I think none of the replies had that view. Due to the above factors it'll fall under the view of cheating (as that's basically playing in a way the developers didn't intend).

They should have been able to give you a explanation like this to why they reacted that way though.