A piece of music that can always soothe you

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

B19
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2020, 6:57 pm

Covid isolation as an immune compromised person has been a very challenging time for me.

The power of music to lift me out of deep states of despair has always been a saving grace, and perhaps for many members here.

I am currently listening to the one piece that can always soothe my inner self - composed by the Mozart of ragtime, Scott Joplin. (In my opinion). A musical genius who gave the world a gift that brought little benefit to himself, a life tragically lived for far too short a time. But what a legacy....

I'm listening to it now: The Entertainer - the very best of Scott Joplin, performed (exquisitely) by Joshua Rifkin on piano who to my mind translates the many nuances perfectly.

Only piano music (and only a very few composers) can reach me at those lowest depths and shine light in that dark place. And none so deeply as Scott Joplin.

What is yours? What can always pull you back from that dark edge?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2020, 7:10 pm

For very personal reasons, this -- but it's so deep I can't listen unless I'm prepared.
I can't listen to it right now.

Otherwise George.

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2020, 7:41 pm

Hope this can lift you up B19.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2020, 8:03 pm

The Piece of music , that helps me is the instrumental version of a Classic called
' GreenSleeves' it is usually heard at Christmas time . But the Original was intially just instrumental
but was not necessarily to be played during Christmas time . Sorry about no link but it is quite relaxing to anyone i feel , even alittle uplifting.. Enjoy .
a 2nd one might be TheBlue Danube waltz also instrumental only , but it is said to give rise to the Soul
All the Best. sorry if they sound like old fogy music but Classics survive the test of time more often than not.

where ever you go ,there you are